Match Thread: June 22, 2019 - Cavalry FC v Forge FC

Calgary played another strong game today but luck ran out.  For all they seemed to dominate the spring season things were a little closer than at first glance.  Take out that last minute goal in Hamilton and we'd be looking at a race to the wire.  Ultimately that goal, failure to win opener, and loss in Halifax home opener doomed our season. 

Hope we can carry this momentum into Fall Season and CONCACAF League.  Calgary Hamilton would be a great final.  Getting Welshman back from Gold Cup and a healthy Anthony Novak will be huge.

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Good win by Forge.  To be honest it’s good for the league that they won.  A team going undefeated in the first league season isn’t a great look.

That 94’th minute goal in week ?3? for Calgary sure is a big goal right now.  

I disagree, an undefeated team in any league gets outsized attention. I watch all Cavalry matches because I know I'll get a quality viewing experience relative to the rest of the CPL (only rivalled by Forge).

More importantly, it implies they could well in competitions outside of CPL. They'll get the attention of MLS watchers and will make Canada look good in Concacaf Champions League. Plus, it will give the better players a chance to move up to another league.

11 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Good win by Forge.  To be honest it’s good for the league that they won.  A team going undefeated in the first league season isn’t a great look.

That 94’th minute goal in week ?3? for Calgary sure is a big goal right now.  

If York9 can get a result against Cavalry on Wednesday the Spring season will actually be decided on the final day. This assumes that Forge can beat Edmonton though, on the road.

For awhile that didn't feel likely.

Edited by narduch