Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ansem

2019 CPL Championship

Recommended Posts

I don't think expansion needs to happen rapidly for pro/rel to unfold. 

I ultimately like David's vision of being in communities of 100,000 eventually. 

Edited by Macksam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lofty said:

And fans love extra time!

Speak for yourself. I have almost always found extra time tedious and have rarely seen it settle anything.

The exception was the "golden age", that one WC cycle where they used "golden goal" or, as we call it in Canada, "sudden-death overtime". When the next goal wins there is drama and excitement as when Richard Hastings potted the winner against Mexico that saw us win the Gold Cup.

If we aren't doing sudden-death I'm just as happy to go to penalties. I had no interest in watching another minute of the VCup final because I am sure the referees would have made yet another absurd decision and gifted the cup to T.O. as they nearly did with that shameful non-call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lofty said:

Three Questions regarding the format of the Championship Tie (Games):

1. Away Goals Rule: Yes or No?

2. Extra Time if tied after 180 mins: Yes or No?

3. Away Goals Rule applies to goals scored in Extra Time: Yes or No?

I was very disappointed to see the final of the Voyageurs Cup go straight to pens after 180 mins. The teams should be given every possible opportunity to settle it on the pitch. And fans love extra time!

And I'd avoid the away goals rule. Away goals have the same value as home goals during the season and since its purpose is to reduce the chances of extra time which I want to see, just no.

So, my answers:

1. No away goals rule.

2. Extra time if tied after 180 mins.

3. N/A.

There are 2 things I like about the away goals rule. The obvious thing is that it reduces the number of PKs. The less obvious thing is that it is the only way a soccer game gives you that same feeling that you can get in other sports (grid iron football, baseball, basketball, rugby) where you can go from losing to winning with one score. That's exciting to me.

As for the rule about going straight to penalties and skipping overtime, I don't like the rule, however, it's what is used in the CCL so I am reluctantly OK with the Canadian Championship using the same rule to emulate that for the small amount of prep for it you get. I think part of the reason Canadian teams have been successful in CCL is because they've gone through a home/away tournament already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lofty said:

Three Questions regarding the format of the Championship Tie (Games):

1. Away Goals Rule: Yes or No?

2. Extra Time if tied after 180 mins: Yes or No?

3. Away Goals Rule applies to goals scored in Extra Time: Yes or No?

If the score is tied after 180 minutes, the championship will be awarded to the team which was founded in 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ted said:

Speak for yourself. I have almost always found extra time tedious and have rarely seen it settle anything.

The exception was the "golden age", that one WC cycle where they used "golden goal" or, as we call it in Canada, "sudden-death overtime". When the next goal wins there is drama and excitement as when Richard Hastings potted the winner against Mexico that saw us win the Gold Cup.

If we aren't doing sudden-death I'm just as happy to go to penalties. I had no interest in watching another minute of the VCup final because I am sure the referees would have made yet another absurd decision and gifted the cup to T.O. as they nearly did with that shameful non-call.

Loved the golden goal extra times, wish they would have continued them. I'm with you on going to penalties if no sudden death extra time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a shame CFL scheduling has prevented Forge from having any incentive to host the 2nd leg, the remaining regular season matches are more or less meanigless!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gator said:

It's a shame CFL scheduling has prevented Forge from having any incentive to host the 2nd leg, the remaining regular season matches are more or less meanigless!

I get what you are saying, but I would think that Forge will want to use every opportunity to keep their level of play high.  They are also going to want to finish top of the table to make a point to Cavalry.  They likely will want to make sure everyone is healthy  going into the final, but other than that i don't see them changing anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

November is late for a final in most places in Canada..cold or snow or both not nice for players or spectators..push it forward to October and if needed start earlier at pacific and cities that have covered field with acceptable capacity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's good that they are setting the dates and locations for each leg of the Final, this gives fans extra time to arrange travel (or if they are local, make sure they set aside the time) and the teams additional time to sell tickets to the public. Makes sense why they are doing this.

Edited by PaulV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Big_M said:

November is late for a final in most places in Canada..cold or snow or both not nice for players or spectators..push it forward to October and if needed start earlier at pacific and cities that have covered field with acceptable capacity

Or use a fall-spring format so the Prairies can be completely avoided in late October and early November. Fall season games could still easily be rescheduled to the spring that way, if there were ever a need. The final could also be held during the best weather possibly even on Canada Day, if CONCACAF competition doesn't complicate matters.

Calgary really need undersoil heating for this time of year, but it's quite expensive so they probably don't have it. They are the most problematic of the possibilities from a climate standpoint for a November game given Edmonton and Winnipeg would have had turf, which is usually easier to deal with under these circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a total of 31 weeks between the 2nd weekend in April (just about the earliest I would schedule a Soccer game outdoors in Canada) and the second weekend in November (right before the international break and the latest date I'd have a Canadian outdoor game). CanPL could just barely get away with a single-table, 16-team league with a 30 game schedule (or a 10-team 27-game schedule with playoffs)  that only played league matches on weekdays, leaving the weekday evening slot free for cups, international competitions and friendlies.  That's the window they have to work with. Canada Soccer and CanPL have to make a soccer pathway/ladder that fits within those seasonal constraints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Initial B said:

There are a total of 31 weeks between the 2nd weekend in April (just about the earliest I would schedule a Soccer game outdoors in Canada) and the second weekend in November (right before the international break and the latest date I'd have a Canadian outdoor game). CanPL could just barely get away with a single-table, 16-team league with a 30 game schedule (or a 10-team 27-game schedule with playoffs)  that only played league matches on weekdays, leaving the weekday evening slot free for cups, international competitions and friendlies.  That's the window they have to work with. Canada Soccer and CanPL have to make a soccer pathway/ladder that fits within those seasonal constraints.

If the 31 weeks is used, what about the FIFA International breaks, would the CPL just ignore them (look how well that is working for MLS)

League matches weekdays or weekends??

What about just like Iceland 12 team 22 game schedule??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Impactsupporter said:

If the 31 weeks is used, what about the FIFA International breaks, would the CPL just ignore them (look how well that is working for MLS)

League matches weekdays or weekends??

What about just like Iceland 12 team 22 game schedule??

CPL doesn't exactly have the critical mass of international callups (certainly to the CanMNT at least) to warrant sitting out international breaks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Big_M said:

November is late for a final in most places in Canada..cold or snow or both not nice for players or spectators..push it forward to October and if needed start earlier at pacific and cities that have covered field with acceptable capacity

Said it before, and I will say it again, schedule the final game of the CanPL season (cup/playoffs/whatever) on the Thanksgiving weekend and make it an event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First leg overlaps with Canada vs Brasil opening u17 WC match at 1600 on TSN. So, they might want to consider moving kickoff to 1400 in Hamilton.

It would make a nice doubleheader especially if CBC is showing CPL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, red card said:

First leg overlaps with Canada vs Brasil opening u17 WC match at 1600 on TSN. So, they might want to consider moving kickoff to 1400 in Hamilton.

It would make a nice doubleheader especially if CBC is showing CPL.

Sorry, but curling on CBC is bigger than CPL. If I recall correctly, slams take 2:30, and the event starts at noon Eastern. So, if you want to watch it on CBC, you'll have to settle for something later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly curling is way bigger - probably 4th most watched sport on Cdn tv.

But as a footy fan, it would have been nice. Anyway if the final isn't going to be on CBC, then all the more reasons to move up the start time.

FIFA u17 schedule was out before CPL finals, so it's one of a many scheduling mistakes made by the CPL this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...