2019 CPL Championship

Ansem

Im not sure what OTP is going on about here. If CPL had a single table champion we would still have only 2 teams in the race. 

MLS and CPL are apples and oranges at this point due to the number of teams. 

MLS's problem is that they let too many teams in. The battle for 7th in both conferences is a bit of a joke. The teams are pathetic 

Next month's Forge vs Cavalry and Cavalry vs Forge regular season games are exactly the sort of scenario Zlatan is complaining about as are the meaningless games that are now taking place between the other five. The main problem for both CanPL and MLS is the absence of any negative outcome for finishing last and how you try to find a way to make things cut-throat competitive in its absence.

The playoff format used by MLS is the solution North American leagues have come up with for keeping fans of most teams interested through to the end of the season. The better solution would be relegation and CanPL pays lip service to that in aspirational terms, but is unlikely to have it any time soon if the rate of expansion remains glacial. It will be interesting to see if future relegation is still a talking point for CanPL once the league enters its post-Beirne era. Have seen it claimed elsewhere that he was the main advocate for relegation in CanPL circles.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Eliminate playoffs.  Link single table ranking to Voyageurs Cup seeding.  If this were the format - and the top three got priority seeding for next year's Voyageurs Cup - every single team would be in the hunt for something right now.

The season-long champion is the champion, no need for a post-season.

The mid-table teams have something to fight for instead of a playoff spot.

Relegation will not happen (ever, IMO, but certainly for the foreseeable future), so the bottom-table teams will just have to fight to avoid shame.  Maybe we should create our own wooden spoon trophy for extra motivation.

Edited by Gopherbashi

2018-19 EPL had 15 of 20 teams within 6 points of a different "award" at the end of the season (ie championship, Champions/Europa qualifying stages, relegation).  Only 5 of 20 teams had nothing tangible left to fight for with two games left in the season.

CPL will have 5 of 7 teams in that same position far earlier than two games remaining.

Doubt it would happen because of the optics and league politics involved, but if they keep the spring and fall season format and still don't want to do playoffs, one thing they could do to make things cut-throat competitive for longer is to use Canadian Championship entry in a similar way to access to European competition within UEFA. If only the top four out of seven qualified for next season's Canadian Championship you would have something tangible for the chasing pack to compete for right now.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

You do realize that his critique of the MLS system rendering regular season games meaningless and taking away the competitive edge is just as applicable to what's happening in CanPL at the moment?

Are you done twisting my words and writing BS.

Apertura & Clausura is not the same as allowing 14/24 teams in the playoffs which is a joke and makes a joke out of the regular season 

Frack off...

(Binging Battlestar Galactica)

Edited by Ansem

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The better solution would be relegation and CanPL pays lip service to that in aspirational terms, but is unlikely to have it any time soon if the rate of expansion remains glacial.

LOL you and I have very different definitions of "glacial". The league started with ("added") seven teams this year. No announcements have been made about next year... yet. How many teams did MLS add in year two? How many have they added in the last five years? How about the Australian League? 

Your impatience and desire to see the league fail do not make the current pace of expansion glacial. 

18 minutes ago, ted said:

...Your impatience and desire to see the league fail do not make the current pace of expansion glacial. 

Beneath contempt that you would add that jibe about wanting to see the league fail. It's glacial if you compare the rate to some of the things David Clanachan was saying would happen comparatively recently:

https://www.northernstartingeleven.com/2-potential-expansion-destinations-for-the-cpl/

David Clanachan made his intentions clear in terms of expanding the league. The Commissioner plans to expand the league to 10 teams in 2020, followed by 14 clubs in 2024 and 16 clubs in 2016...

https://canpl.ca/video/cpl-commissioner-david-clanachan-looks-ahead-to-2019-inaugural-season-and-beyond

...His goal is for the CPL to include 26 club’s by 2026, at which point the CPL could split into first and second divisions.

“If we can do it sooner we’ll do it sooner,” Clanachan added. “It’s all about talent and level of play … By the time you get to that you could be in communities of 100,000 people.”

He’s inspired by more than one Premier League club.

“Think about this: Burnley, in the EPL, has about 70,000 people who live in that town,” Clanachan said. “They get 21,000 fans whenever they’re at home. I believe when we get to the point where we have a second division we can be in cities and regions in Canada that have 100,000 people or more.”

If the league's no playoffs strategy revolves around having pro-rel there needs to be some prospect of getting close to 16 on a reasonable timeline.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Beneath contempt that you would add that jibe about wanting to see the league fail.

Really? "Beneath contempt"? At best your relentless negativity and delight in highlighting any weakness or failure shows contempt for the league and those running it.  I believe you will find few, if any, people on this list who would disagree with my characterization.

After the "late" Robert you are the most obsessed with trumpeting every failure, real or imagined, of this league.

David Clanachan made his intentions clear in terms of expanding the league. The Commissioner plans to expand the league to 10 teams in 2020, followed by 14 clubs in 2024 and 16 clubs in 2016...

That seems a reasonable pace overall, an average of around one additional team per year. Why is that "glacial" as opposed to, "prudent", "manageable" or even, "ambitious"? 

I didn't believe the league would launch with 8 or would have 10 by 2020. Stating so wasn't negativity, it was realism. The league's format right now is a mess and is a recipe for vast numbers of meaningless  games in the years ahead. If it's like this with 7 what would it be like with 12 or 14 with only 2 making the championship games? Your true friend tells you what you need to hear. False friends and sycophants on the make tell you what you want to hear.

10 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I didn't believe the league would launch with 8 or would have 10 by 2020. Stating so wasn't negativity, it was realism. The league's format right now is a mess and is a recipe for vast numbers of meaningless  games in the years ahead. If it's like this with 7 what would it be like with 12 or 14 with only 2 making the championship games? Your true friend tells you what you need to hear. False friends and sycophants on the make tell you what you want to hear.

How about sock puppets?

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Dont you have anything new to discuss? 

tenor.gif?itemid=9248726

Edited by Ansem

3 hours ago, ted said:

That seems a reasonable pace overall, an average of around one additional team per year. Why is that "glacial" as opposed to, "prudent", "manageable" or even, "ambitious"? 

I agree that glacial was a gross exaggeration, but your response here didn't seem to get his point. The Clanachan comments were meant to show he was expecting/hoping for 3 new teams next year, and a new team per year (on average) after that. So far it looks like 0 teams next year instead of 3. So it's "glacial" by comparison (or at least slower than Clanachan had been expecting).

7 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Clanachan is smoking some pretty heavy drugs if he's hoping to add 19 clubs within 7 years.

There were plenty of people on here lapping that sort of stuff up when he was talking that way a little over a year ago. Regardless of how credible it actually was, expansion needs to be unfolding quickly for the whole no playoffs and club based Euro style league with pro-rel narrative to be in any way credible and worth waiting for. If for example, at the other end of the scale, it takes until 2021 to have 8 and it's only up to around 10 by 2026 and there is no light at the end of the tunnel on ever reaching 16, because finding suitable stadiums has turned out to be very difficult, they should have playoffs and an east-west conference format to avoid having vast numbers of meaningless end of season games.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There were plenty of people on here lapping that sort of stuff up when he was talking that way a little over a year ago. Regardless of how credible it actually was, expansion needs to be unfolding quickly for the whole no playoffs and club based Euro style league with pro-rel narrative to be in any way credible and worth waiting for. If for example, at the other end of the scale, it takes until 2021 to have 8 and it's only up to around 10 by 2026 and there is no light at the end of the tunnel on ever reaching 16, because finding suitable stadiums has turned out to be very difficult, they should have playoffs and an east-west conference format to avoid having vast numbers of meaningless end of season games.

I've always believed that the "We'll look at pro/rel after we get past 16 teams" line means that they never expect to go above 16 teams.

3 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

I've always believed that the "We'll look at pro/rel after we get past 16 teams" line means that they never expect to go above 16 teams.

And that is a reasonable criticism. I don't believe we have the need nor the ability to go beyond 16 D1 teams in Canada (including Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver).  The better route to pro-rel is from the bottom up. Build a successful network of D3 leagues that eventually grow to having two "tiers", separate the top teams into a D2 and then we can talk about pro-rel between all three levels.

3 hours ago, ted said:

And that is a reasonable criticism. I don't believe we have the need nor the ability to go beyond 16 D1 teams in Canada (including Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver).  The better route to pro-rel is from the bottom up. Build a successful network of D3 leagues that eventually grow to having two "tiers", separate the top teams into a D2 and then we can talk about pro-rel between all three levels.

I'm comfortable with 15 D1 (including the 3 MLS teams).

Gives us a nice, round 12 teams in CPL without causing too much of a stretch. Maybe larger one day, but I'd be happy with that size.

I also agree, D2 would be well formed from the cream of D3 sides, plus a newly founded team or two that weren't quite ready to be in the first 12 (likely from an area lacking a D3 league: Prairies, Northern Ontario, Territories, Atlantic Canada).

14 hours ago, Lofty said:

And fans love extra time!

Speak for yourself. I have almost always found extra time tedious and have rarely seen it settle anything.

The exception was the "golden age", that one WC cycle where they used "golden goal" or, as we call it in Canada, "sudden-death overtime". When the next goal wins there is drama and excitement as when Richard Hastings potted the winner against Mexico that saw us win the Gold Cup.

If we aren't doing sudden-death I'm just as happy to go to penalties. I had no interest in watching another minute of the VCup final because I am sure the referees would have made yet another absurd decision and gifted the cup to T.O. as they nearly did with that shameful non-call.