2019 CPL Championship

Ansem

The 2019 CPL Championship will be a two-legged, home-and-away aggregate score format with away goals rule in effect. The winner of the Spring Season will play the winner of the Fall Season* over two weekends: October 26 – 27, 2019 and November 2 – 3, 2019.  The winner of the Fall Season will choose whether to host the first or second leg of the Championship.

At the completion of the competition, the winner will be awarded the first Canadian Premier League Championship trophy to be unveiled in the near future.

Should the Spring Season winner also win the Fall Season, the second team with the best overall record for both seasons will be declared the Fall winner.

Edited by Ansem

They really need to work on their clarity.

The way it reads right now, if the same team wins both seasons, the second-place team earns the fall birth... meaning that they get to choose which leg to host?

I'm sure they'll correct this in the end, but the whole announcement kind of feels jumbled together.

On 6/22/2019 at 4:44 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-announces-2019-championship-format

The big change the fans should probably push for is that there should be no playoff if the same team wins both mini-seasons.

I would agree with this if the schedule was balanced. However, with an unbalanced schedule no two teams would have played the same number of games against the same teams, which would lead to questions about strength of schedule. The playoffs will put them to rest. Once the league gets to 12 teams or more, I expect CanPL will have a two-round, single-match, NASL-style playoff including the two season champions and the two teams with the next best records.

Let's not forget that the league's objective is to also draw casuals and curious none-fans.

Until we have pro/rel where you can end the season with a D2 promotion playoff, CPL will have playoffs in the hope of attracting more attention.

Getting the 2 leg Championship on TV is a must even if you're giving it away to CBC

On 6/27/2019 at 6:04 AM, narduch said:

Last night Cavalry booked their spot in the Championship.

Does anyone think another team can challenge Forge for the 2nd spot?

HFX and Edmonton are both on 2-game winning streaks, but can they keep the momentum going.

Leaving Cavalry with a very meaningful fall season to look forward to........

The league has got to adjust this for next season.

42 minutes ago, Kwar said:

They should have just had a single season, give the top team a bye into the final and had the second and third place team play a home and away series for the other spot in the final.

I was skeptical of the split season, but with 7 teams it was a good call. The spring season just ended and things already are beginning to feel repetitive.

Splitting it up at least creates the guise of less redundancy.

I think 12 teams may be enough to move to a single season.

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Zlatan has spoken

This guy is such a media storm for MLS but the problem is he is too real for them.  He's the biggest star the league can get but he's also going to blast them non-stop until he leaves the league.

Also, he's absolutely right.  This insatiable appetite for playoffs makes little sense as it only devalues the league, which takes up ~90% of competitive matches.  How does that make sense?

Edited by CanadaFan123

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Lol he's hilarious, our split system isn't so bad after all... you got to win the season, period.

I still prefer tha classical single table no playoffs once we get pro/rel and more CCL/CL allocation 

Our split system or the Liga MX system makes most sense in this market and with the goal of making a competitive league.  It keeps more teams in it but it also doesn't take away from the chase for the top of the league.  Spring season will always be more valuable because it allows that team to compete in the Canadian Championship and/or CONCACAF League and take the pedal off the league.  Still - that's just one team and it's fine IMO, no different than a team at the top of the table resting players for UEFA ties.  

• 1 month later...

Assuming that CBC still shows the noon Grand Slam of Curling match live has they have in the past, the October 26 wouldn't be able to be shown live until 2:30 PM Eastern. However, I don't know what other events CBC could show like Speed Skating or Skiing or another winter sport. I know that curling is the one sport they'll show live.