Gold Cup - June 23rd 2019 - Canada vs Cuba

Admin

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

His movement on the wing is great and his balls into the box have been extremely effective. I think it is crazy to think he can’t be an elite winger. 

Compare him to other elite young wingers like felix, vinicious and hes way behind at this point. 

16 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Davies at lb its pretty simple. He doesn't have the finishing ability to be an elite winger but he can be an elite left back in time. 

He's 18 years old!   He may or may not one day be an "elite winger" in your eyes. 

But to write him off so soon as being unable to get there is stupid.

2 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I can't remember the last time we had a team that just beat up the minnows like this at a Gold Cup. Huge change from not scoring a goal the entire tournament 4 years ago

You mean Nation's League Group A opponents. 😮

Post game write up with some player & coach quotes:

https://www.tsn.ca/lucas-cavallini-jonathan-david-hat-tricks-lead-canada-past-cuba-in-gold-cup-1.1327481

The author seems to think we haven't officially qualified yet because Martinique could beat Mexico by 12 goals and knock us out. Not sure how Mexico's -2 goal differential in that scenario would be considered superior to our plus 9 goal differential.

8 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I can't remember the last time we had a team that just beat up the minnows like this at a Gold Cup. Huge change from not scoring a goal the entire tournament 4 years ago

4 years ago we played Costa Rica, El Salvador and Jamaica in the group stage. Yes we have improved but let's keep some perspective. The Gold Cup's expansion to 16 has made our road to the knockouts much easier. 

I like where we are headed but we have not really proven anything yet. Will be interesting to see how we perform in the pressure of a knockout match against an experienced opponent.

Glad that we didn’t have any injuries. Also, I’m glad that we were able to start our best today and not have to worry about fatigue considering our lengthy wait until the quarters

26 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Pleasant surprise for me this tournament.. Godinho 

Agreed.  You know when you have an idea that someone else is better in that spot and you write off the guy?  Well Godinho I definitely didn't have as starting RB and though he hasn't had a huge test he was very, very solid today.  As good a performance as I've seen from a Canadian RB in the last decade (low bar).

1 hour ago, canadasoccer20 said:

wow mexico and martinique tied 1-1 in 60th..

That was a well taken free kick.  Hard to beat that for quality.  

Poor class from Mexico and its american fans IMHO.  Martinique are side that that they should have known that they could handle easily.   Yet, when scoring a goal in the gold cup against a semi amateur Martinique, they celebrate as if they had scored against Germany at the world cup finals.  Tata Martino is as annoying in his complaining as he was in MLS.  

There is reason for guarded optimism for Canada from what we have seen so far.  I say guarded because we have seen how these games can look so different when you suddenly have to face a side like CRC. Or when your suddenly playing in a WCQ’er instead of the gold cup. 

I was only able to catch the first ~15 mins.... life committment...Was beyond surprised and content of final score line!!! 

I PVRed it so will re watch tmwr. 

Glad to hear Godinho had a great game after that early miscue. Literally the last play I watched was when he got beat for pace and skill 1v1 just outside the 18. Cuban had a clear breakaway only for him to shank it. If the praise is as good as you all say, I am happy to hear that! Always cheering for that lad.

Congrats to Cav & David with the Hatty, man them on the field together, wow, thank you.

Bring on the QF, can't wait for the test!

Not that it matters much but it is really a farce that Cavallini didn't get to re-take that PK. Yeah, the score was 5-0 at the time but even so, by the time he strikes the ball there is a Cuban player in the line of vision between the Ref and Cavallini - that's how far into the box the Cuban player got (with another two of his teammates well into the box on the other side). Pause the video below at 2:05 to see what I mean - there's a Cuban practically standing next to Cavallini when he strikes it. A little encroachment is one thing, but almost being in a position to take the ball off the PK taker is another!