Gold Cup - June 23rd 2019 - Canada vs Cuba

Admin

People might call me crazy.... but this is my "lineup prediction" vs Cuba. To consider before I get a million confused looks, I took the below 5 points into consideration...

1) No Hutch, Mak, Davies, Cornelius in starting 11.  Played 180 mins and in my starting 11 for KO round.

2) These front 6 are good enough to create and bang in goals vs Cuba or please help us all.

3) Herdman's preferred 4-3-3 but honestly we are going to have only 2-3 back most of the game. 

4) I put in ( brackets) in 2 positions, goalie & RB, could not decide. 

5) I prefer ZBG but I think Godinho gets another run out and good opponent to get him minutes.

This is still a very good team...

Crepeau (Borjan)

Godinho       Henry         Miller       Teibert (Morgan)  

Osorio     Piette     Arfield       

David            Cav          Hoilett  

Subs -

if everything goes as plan you use 3 from here:

Millar, Larin, Okello, WJ, (Tiebert)

If it hits the fan and we need goals you use 3 from :

Davies, MAK, Hutch, Millar, Larin

Edited by apbsmith

3 hours ago, Tyson M said:

For those of us in France... does anyone know if the Concacaf GO app will work here?

Also... Borjan will likely not start, not because he is resting, but likely because we don't need him(A la Busti during a very important qualifier). The difference between Borjan and Crepeau or Leutwiler will not be noticeable in this game. I am NOT saying that this will be a huge cake walk, but even if the keepers let in a goal (or even 2), you have to believe this Canada squad(not like any I've seen 20 years prior) can easily score 3. I do expect some changes(ex Hutch out/Liam in) but this will be a strong attacking squad.

Yes we have some attacking power like we ve never had before but we are still Canada and need to play our best player in a must win game.

What if their keeper pulls a "Jonny Placide" on us and we can't score while we conceed a weak goal? Let's also remember that our defense looked shacky against Martinique and we needed Borjan to pull some excellent saves. I can see Cuba getting some quality chances today too.

I say, let's play our best 11 because we could regret it.

26 minutes ago, king1010 said:

With 6 days rest until the qfs im fine with playing our best 11 however id consider resting players on a yellow card because if they pick up another yellow they miss the qfs regardless of how much time in between games. 

I was just about to bring up the same point. Kaye and Piette are the two players on yellows and there are like for like replacements available for both. Maybe play Johnson in the Piette role and Morgan/Teibert at LB instead of Kaye.

16 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I’m good with sitting Kaye since he’s played 2 straight but Piette needs to play.  He’s fresh and if he gets suspended, he gets suspended but at least we have the depth to handle one match without him. 

I'm 99% but to confirm it's only a 1 match suspension correct? A red card is a 2 match suspension? 

Also, do cards reset after QFs or group stage in this Gold Cup? 

18 hours ago, Zem said:

That is completely incorrect. .....that while a law established in 2013 allows defectors like him and his family to return to Cuba after eight years, the government still doesn't allow defectors to play for the Cuban national team in any sport.

My bad; I was indeed incorrect there. Although I don't understand how Onel Hernández can be considered a defector if he left the country at age 6...

18 hours ago, Zem said:

This also technically isn't true anymore. The United States scrapped its policy which automatically gave Cuban defectors asylum in 2017, so in theory Cubans have to seek US residency on the same grounds as any other immigrant.

The defection issue still persists however, because as noted earlier the Cuban government doesn't allow defectors to return to Cuba for eight years, so once they travel without government permission they become effectively stateless and the US is obligated to grant them asylum as a result.

Yes, the USA scrapped it's "wet foot, dry foot policy under the last few days of Obama in early 2017,

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article126498349.html

but the USA didn't scrap it's other laws that require acts of congress that give Cubans an easier path. 

If you are Cuban, you can seek residency on the same grounds as any other migrant, yes, BUT you can play for time because the system is notoriously slow, so unlike other migrants it doesn't matter if your grounds are not deemed worthy.

After one year you can apply for a green card:

http://www.uscis.gov/greencard/caa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Adjustment_Act

and once you get your Green Card, I think the rest doesn't matter, you can withdraw your original claim to asylum or whatever other claim you made because you are already a permanent resident! Voila!

http://qz.com/1649607/the-us-has-a-special-immigration-exception-just-for-cubans/

I'm interested to see who plays today that didn't on Wednesday.

From the Gold Cup article that was just posted on Twitter:

Herdman says he also expects to see an energetic performance from the players who did not feature in the previous match, a 3-1 defeat to Mexico.

"The mindset has been taking care of the little details to make sure we are focused. Watching the boys train yesterday, there's a real hunger in the guys who didn't start against Mexico. I think we're confident and just have to take care of business and get that quarterfinal set up."

Maybe rest Cornelius and start Miller alongside Henry for this one?  I think Hutchinson should be rested too.

-------------------David--------------------

Hoilett----------------------------------Millar

-------------Osorio----Arfield--------------

--------------------Piette----------------------

Davies----Henry---Miller-----ZBG

-------------------Borjan-------------------

That lineup features 7 guys who didn't start against Mexico and is very strong.  All I hope is that these guys are hungry and that they haven't looked at the Cuba results and treated this like it will be a walk over.

32 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I don’t trust Martinique to go down easily or Mexico not to lay down and eliminate Canada a la vs Honduras.

Because of that I want us to go out and win big vs Cuba today.  I’m hoping for a 5+ 0 score against a depleted team.

100%, fortunately in this case, we control our own destiny. 

Win is a must, plain & simple.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I’m good with sitting Kaye since he’s played 2 straight but Piette needs to play.  He’s fresh and if he gets suspended, he gets suspended but at least we have the depth to handle one match without him. 

Excellent point. 

I think Piette is a must start here in lieu of Hutch (3 games 8 days at 36, travel , altitude and heat is no easy task at all). Also, even if Piette picks up a 2nd yellow this tourny we have the midfield depth for the QF. 

I want MAK on the field 100% in the KO round, so him on the bench here makes sense with him sitting on a yellow. 

I liked your lineup also, I think we both have the mid 3 correct. 

Edited by apbsmith

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

That lineup features 7 guys who didn't start against Mexico and is very strong. 

-Millar plays left whereas Hoilett plays both so they switch sides.

-Larin played ZERO minutes vs Martinique and only 57 minutes vs Mexico on the right wing. Larin can't dribble and therefore should not be played out of position on the right like that again, but with good service he can make great runs and score for us. This is his chance to prove himself against a depleted Cuba side. I give him 57 minutes once again and if we aren't up by 2 he needs to come off.

-Ashtone Morgan plays left back; he need to start today as he has had no minutes. Davies can be subbed in if we are not up by two goals at around the 57th minute.

-Will Johnson instead of Arfield. He played ZERO minutes vs Martinique and only 60 minutes vs Mexico. He is not longer in our starting 11 but is still a great player. We need to give him the start and rest Arfield.

-Godinho at right back to rest ZBG for the QF

-Crépeau starts. We don't need to rest Borjan, but an injury is theoretically possible although unlikely. Crépeau has played well for club and is missing Whitecaps games for this. This is his game. All other games after this one, it's Borjan unless he gets injured. 

-------------------Larin--------------------

Millar---------------------------------Hoilett

-------------Osorio----Johnson--------------

Morgan----Henry---Miller-----Godinho

-------------------Crépeau-------------------

The guys who aren't in our main starting 11 need to know that great things are expected of them too. If we can't be up by 2 goals in 57 minutes vs Cuba with this lineup then FML.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I can appreciate those changes @Olympique_de_Marseille I also thought of starting Morgan but I figure a 18 year old Davies is ready to rock here and can dominate from LB.  Millar and Hoilett swap wings so no big deal.

Also, Arfield needs to start he is our captain and has only had two starts for Canada in the last year.  I don’t think he needs rest at this point and we have a bit of a break after this match anyhow.

Edited by CanadaFan123

14 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

-------------------Larin--------------------

Millar---------------------------------Hoilett

-------------Osorio----Johnson--------------

Morgan----Henry---Miller-----ZBG

-------------------Crépeau-------------------

I like most of this but I would:

1) start Arfield to boss the middle of park, sub him off at 45-55-60 when lead secure. 

2) I see your reasons but I would NOT leave both Cav & David on the bench until lead secure. 

* You edited ZBG/Godinho from me on original post lol*

Edited by apbsmith

I would start the fit and fresh best 11 players that started the 1st game.(rest only those at risk of 2nd yellows or carrying knocks) play that way the first half secure the win then rotate players. 

6 days off after this to recover. Secure the game then rest even at the expense of my own( as much as I would like him to play) let him come off the bench and cause trouble. 

The bigger picture for me. Build a flow and readiness for CR. We are building something special here. Let’s keep it going.