Gold Cup - June 23rd 2019 - Canada vs Cuba

Admin

Hutchinson, Cornelius and Kaye are amongst those who have played the most minutes. Let's start them from the bench and put fresh players in the starting 11.

Apparently it's going to be hot in Charlotte too, so no need to max those 3 out. 

Davies has played a lot of minutes too, perhaps it's time to start him from the bench. After the game he had against Mexico, he must not only be tired physically, but mentally as well.

Prime candidates to start would include Hoilett and Millar. Good possibility for Larin, Teibert and Johnson too. Somewhat good chance we see one of Morgan or Miller, or potentially both.

I hope we bring Okello on for experience if we are up by 3 or 4 goals.

Edited by Obinna

I'd make sure Henry is 100% too before slotting him in the starting XI. He's just coming off an injury, and in the past hasn't shown great durability. I'd like to see Crepeau given the start. Some minutes for those who haven't played yet like Morgan would be nice too.

The Cubans have no hope of advancing and have already lost their captain to defection. I'm going to say Canada wins 3-0 (maybe 4 or 5 if Herdman goes all out with our 100% best squad, but I don't think that is necessary)

My thoughts for discussion, already mentioned above:

1) Cornelius, MAK, Davies, Hutch should be given the night off IMO, but available in a worse case scenario. 

2) We have 6 days before the QF, that is BIG. 

3) Does Herdman give Crepeau a start? 

4) Cuba has looked awful in the lead up to tourny, and the tourny itself. 2 L 's vs DR u23 team, 7-0 L vs Mexico & 3-0 L vs Martinique (who also missed a PK). 

5) The battle of "Sports Science" & "squad rotation/depth", Cuba has had the same schedule as us. I'm a big fan of Herdman's attention to detail, think we have a massive edge here then most of us realize (not that we need it).

6) Still need a professional performance to get the Win with 0 yellows and 0 injuries.

7) 30+C with high humidity level does benefit Cuba.

Sometimes certain teams struggle to get up for these type of games or go in with the wrong mind set. I would like to see the killer instinct from us from the beginning, confident Herdman will have us ready.

I think we got to start our A-team vs Cuba. We have a 6 day rest before the quarterfinal which is plenty of time for them to rest after the match and the need to build chemistry and make sure are A-team players aren’t rusty is imperative imo. The only change I’d make is miller in for Cornelius just because he’s played 180 minutes already. I’d also possibly put Millar in for Davies but it’s probably more likely we’ll see him off the bench.

8 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I think we got to start our A-team vs Cuba. We have a 6 day rest before the quarterfinal which is plenty of time for them to rest after the match and the need to build chemistry and make sure are A-team players aren’t rusty is imperative imo. The only change I’d make is miller in for Cornelius just because he’s played 180 minutes already. I’d also possibly put Millar in for Davies but it’s probably more likely we’ll see him off the bench.

Atiba is 36 and had also played 180 mins. Where is his rest? 

Also we risk players getting injured if we play all our starters. Look at Mexico...

8 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I like this approach. I would rest Hutch more so than Cornelius due to age and physical fitness levels.  Maybe one or two other changes. I wouldn't risk playing an entire second string, and no need to rest Borjan. We need to win - yes a draw and likely even a loss sees us advance - but we need to win for the momentum in this tourney and beyond.

Remind me again how many games we play yearly? Oh right not enough to be the successful team we all want to be. This means we need to play the best 11 we can while we have this opportunity to. We have 6 days off after this game, these guys are professionals and are in great shape. 

I see it as a bit of a mix.

I don't think we can afford to send out a B line-up of second stringers in a game where we need a result to advance.  I fully expect to win, I would like it to be by a large margin, and I am all about projecting confidence given our squad, but these are the kinds of games where have slipped up.  Failure in this one is not an option.  I would rest MAK (yellow), Cornelius (banged up) and Hutch (36), but other than that I would field a fairly strong starting 11.  Sub key guys off early if we are well out in front and the final result is  secured, but I don't want to find ourselves chasing this one.   There is enough time before the QF match that I don't see wholesale changes required. 

If we want to rest Hutch, Kaye and Cornelius, but otherwise put out a relatively strong squad:

-----------------Borjan------------

Godinho--Henry--Miller--Morgan

------------------Piette--------------

------------Arfield--Osoro-------

Millar----------Larin--------Hoilett

Cav for Larin

David for Hoilett 

Davies for Millar

Or

Johnson/Teibert for Arfield/Osorio

I am personally in favour of trusting Teibert and Johnson from the start, but those who want a stronger line up may find this to be a suitable compromise.

Some good points have been made about the 11 we should play, we definitely can't take this match lightly, I feel we have the depth to rest players that need it without a huge drop in quality! This is where we have to trust Herdman as he will know how fit the players are and who needs to be rested, we should be able to get the result whoever we play but strange things happen in football!

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

If we want to rest Hutch, Kaye and Cornelius, but otherwise put out a relatively strong squad:

-----------------Borjan------------

Godinho--Henry--Miller--Morgan

------------------Piette--------------

------------Arfield--Osoro-------

Millar----------Larin--------Hoilett

Cav for Larin

David for Hoilett 

Davies for Millar

Or

Johnson/Teibert for Arfield/Osorio

I am personally in favour of trusting Teibert and Johnson from the start, but those who want a stronger line up may find this to be a suitable compromise.

I agree with this lineup. Also, if we're up by 2+, give Okello some minutes.

56 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

I agree with this lineup. Also, if we're up by 2+, give Okello some minutes.

Also if Okello plays it will cap tie him ! We should what most team put him with 10 mins to go then boom he’s ours for good !

Edited by SpecialK

43 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Useless piece of information. To make sure we qualify, we need to win by 3 goals. 

I think Martinique would have to beat Mexico 5-0 to ensure that even a 2 goal victory by us would not be enough but as crazy as it sounds, if I'm Herdman I'm telling the team to aim for 3-0 win

17 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think Martinique would have to beat Mexico 5-0 to ensure that even a 2 goal victory by us would not be enough but as crazy as it sounds, if I'm Herdman I'm telling the team to aim for 3-0 win

I don't expect Martinique to beat Mexico 5-0, but I'm sure Herdman will want to clinch the spot before Mexico-Martinique kicks off.

46 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

I don't expect Martinique to beat Mexico 5-0, but I'm sure Herdman will want to clinch the spot before Mexico-Martinique kicks off.

Yup, 3-0 guarantees it, and avoids the potential of any weird shenanigans...