Lofty

Women's World Cup - June 24th 2019 - R16 Canada vs Sweden

And we have our answer on the pen. Sinclair asked Beckie if she wanted to take it. And I think that just about sums up the confidence level of this team. You cannot win if you don't believe.

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

Unless Sinclair, herself, bottled it and stood down on the penalty of her own accord, I'd be looking to sack managers/drop players over that travesty.

Commentator (Moscato?) said the team needed Backie to get her confidence going forward, that may be why she took the penalty.  I don't know that it was a bad penalty but I wonder if Sinclair would have buried it. Either way, as much as I like Beckie, a penalty to tie a knock out match isn't the place I want let someone try to get her confidence back.

1 minute ago, Lofty said:

And we have our answer on the pen. Sinclair asked Beckie if she wanted to take it. And I think that just about sums up the confidence level of this team. You cannot win if you don't believe.

That's disappointing leadership. Sinclair should have taken charge. She is the most experienced player and a big game player. 

Personally I blame the men's team for hogging spotlight last night.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

That's disappointing leadership. Sinclair should have taken charge. She is the most experienced player and a big game player. 

For me, the biggest fail was Heiner-Moller. Predictable team selection and unimaginative tactics. Simply not up to the job.

I am a fan of Beckie and I know we will see much more from her in the future, but she wasn't producing here and should have been dropped.

Edited by Lofty

I didn't really understand bringing on another central defender when we need a goal to tie things up and we have Huitema on the bench, or Deanne Rose for that matter. Was Floro passing notes to Heiner-Moller or something?

5 minutes ago, toontownman said:

The feminists are coming for you!

11 minutes ago, Lofty said:

For me, the biggest fail was Heiner-Moller. Predictable team selection and unimaginative tactics. Simply not up to the job.

I am a fan of Beckie and I know we will see much more from her in the future, but she wasn't producing here and should have been dropped.

Exactly!

There seemed to be little urgency late in the second half.  And the subs were conservative when the situation called for a more aggressive approach. 

Posted (edited)

The problems are deeper than that especially when the key thing they've pointed out was that provincial bodies keep resisting changes that that people are trying to implement. They named De Vos and Herdman regarding those who provinces wont play ball with.

The hell is happening? Looking at this tournament, it's so crystal clear that everyone else is better and stubbornly playing the same way as the past 2 cycles if ******* not good enough anymore.

#5 in the World? HELLS NO.

Now, you have people screaming that CPL must start WCPL tomorrow morning. 

1. Show me the money

2. Let's not be so quick to absolve the CSA and all the provincial bodies from this mess. How is it possible that we dont have a D3 men AND women's league leading to a MEMORIAL CUP in 2019???

Nah...yes fire the coach because those adjustments came way too late, the tactics were so London 2012 and the subs were horrendous. Huitema's height, skills and ball control was exactly what was needed here. 

But it isn't only about coaching. CSA needs to take over those provincial bodies somehow like yesterday. 

You know the girls on the TSN panel are right when Nova Scotia Soccer retweeted this 

Screenshot_20190624-174606_Twitter.jpg

Edited by Ansem

37 minutes ago, toontownman said:

100%! If you're one of the greatest women to ever play the game, and your team needs to score a penalty to stay in the World Cup, you have to demand the ball and be ready to fight anyone who dares challenge you for it.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I didn't really understand bringing on another central defender when we need a goal to tie things up and we have Huitema on the bench, or Deanne Rose for that matter. Was Floro passing notes to Heiner-Moller or something?

I think it had to do with the fact that Quinn is good at driving in balls and has the height for corners and the late push at the net rather than being another defender coming on. I don't care for Heiner-Moller that much but I do understand this move.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

100%! If you're one of the greatest women to ever play the game, and your team needs to score a penalty to stay in the World Cup, you have to demand the ball and be ready to fight anyone who dares challenge you for it.

Are we sure that Sinclair didn't want it but instead is trying to take the heat for Beckie instead? Sinclair has always been good under pressure. 

Just now, sting said:

Are we sure that Sinclair didn't want it but instead is trying to take the heat for Beckie instead? Sinclair has always been good under pressure. 

In her post match interview Beckie said that Sinclair asked her if she wanted to take it.

2 hours ago, Patrick said:

Is that Herdman's decision?  I mean, could Floro have fired Herdman?  

I was being facetious, because he was hand-picked by Herdman in the first place.

352:

Schmidt ---------- Buchanan ---------- Zadorsky

Lawrence ---------------------------------------- Riviere

----------------------------- Scott -----------------------------

---------------- Fleming ---------- Sinclair -------------

---------------- Huitema ---------- Leon ----------------

That is all.

Well...

Coach HM must be held accountable. For the whole tournament he was afraid/unwilling to use his talented bench. Changes were much too late, and not nearly bold enough. Especially against Sweden, when decisive leadership was needed. Why wait until the 84th minute? He clearly needed fresh legs and as much offensive imagination as could be mustered. Beckie , although talented, had a subpar tournament, and should have been subbed at about 60 minutes in both the Netherlands and Sweden matches. I think Huitema could have added much in the last 20 minutes aginst Sweden. Sinclair, seemingly being too Canadian, didn't take leadership at the exact moment it was required ("That Penalty 'TM'"), although I suspect there is more to Sinclair's 2019 WWC story that we have not been told about.

I felt nervous after the Cameroon match. Offense was lacking. Fortunately, Canadian mistakes were not punished by the plucky Africans. I felt a little better (but not much) after the Kiwi match, as we actually scored more than once. The Netherlands match was the wake-up call that was not answered, confirmed by the final defeat to Sweden.

Change must start at the top, and be mostly concentrated there as well.

6 minutes ago, YEG Round Baller said:

Well...

Coach HM must be held accountable. For the whole tournament he was afraid/unwilling to use his talented bench. Changes were much too late, and not nearly bold enough. Especially against Sweden, when decisive leadership was needed. Why wait until the 84th minute? He clearly needed fresh legs and as much offensive imagination as could be mustered. Beckie , although talented, had a subpar tournament, and should have been subbed at about 60 minutes in both the Netherlands and Sweden matches. I think Huitema could have added much in the last 20 minutes aginst Sweden. Sinclair, seemingly being too Canadian, didn't take leadership at the exact moment it was required ("That Penalty 'TM'"), although I suspect there is more to Sinclair's 2019 WWC story that we have not been told about.

I felt nervous after the Cameroon match. Offense was lacking. Fortunately, Canadian mistakes were not punished by the plucky Africans. I felt a little better (but not much) after the Kiwi match, as we actually scored more than once. The Netherlands match was the wake-up call that was not answered, confirmed by the final defeat to Sweden.

Change must start at the top, and be mostly concentrated there as well.

My thought too. We have a lot of very good players and that is what really stings. They could have achieved so much more.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Lofty said:

In her post match interview Beckie said that Sinclair asked her if she wanted to take it.

That's my point. why would Sinclair ask her? Sinclair could handle the pressure of taking the kick. I believe Sinclair was being a great captain by trying to give Beckie the chance to redeem herself for the give away that lead to the goal.  I really believed she thought Beckie could handle it and as great leader want to support her. I respect Sinclair even more for by passing the chance to increase her goal total to try and support a team mate.

Edited by sting

1 minute ago, sting said:

That's my point. why would Sinclair ask her? Sinclair could handle the pressure of taking the kick. I believe Sinclair was being a great captain by trying to give Beckie the chance to redeem herself for the give away that lead to the goal.  I really believed she thought Beckie could handle it and as great leader want to support her.

I think the question then becomes whether that was an effective way to support her and whether that decision was what was best for the team at that moment: taking the penalty kick away from the team's best penalty taker and giving it to someone who is not the team's best penalty taker -- at a moment when your life in the World Cup depends upon scoring that penalty.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, sting said:

That's my point. why would Sinclair ask her? Sinclair could handle the pressure of taking the kick. I believe Sinclair was being a great captain by trying to give Beckie the chance to redeem herself for the give away that lead to the goal.  I really believed she thought Beckie could handle it and as great leader want to support her.

And that kind of support could be a double edge sword.

Edited by lamptern

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I think the question then becomes whether that was an effective way to support her and whether that decision was what was best for the team at that moment: taking the penalty kick away from the team's best penalty taker and giving it to someone who is not the team's best penalty taker -- at a moment when your life in the World Cup depends upon scoring that penalty.

This is why Sinclair had confidence in her- Canadian international Janine Beckie proved to be the difference in a penalty shootout Saturday as Manchester City beat Arsenal to claim the FA Women’s Continental League Cup. 

Edited by sting

4 minutes ago, sting said:

This is why Sinclair had confidence in her- Canadian international Janine Beckie proved to be the difference in a penalty shootout Saturday as Manchester City beat Arsenal to claim the FA Women’s Continental League Cup. 

I won't reply by mentioning all the big pens Sinclair has scored over the years because I'm sure you can see the difference in pedigree.

1 minute ago, Lofty said:

I won't reply by mentioning all the big pens Sinclair has scored over the years because I'm sure you can see the difference in pedigree.

Yes I know what Sinclair can do, that is why I said she could handle the pressure. I was replying to why Sinclair thought Beckie could do it as well.