Lofty

Women's World Cup - June 24th 2019 - R16 Canada vs Sweden

Tough match for Canada. I want to say Canada are slight favourites but I have a feeling it may actually be a toss up and will go to penalties.

Winner will probably face Germany in the Quarters.

I'm very curious to see how we will line up.

I'd like to see em line up something like:

Labbe
Lawrence - Buchanan - Zador- Chapman
                       Scott schmidt
fleming sinclair     Beckie
Huitema*

*I'd also be okay with prince or rose starting over Huitema.  Rose & Sincy seem to have some damn good chemistry , and prince looked good when she was in too.

I saw a lot of turnovers from Huitema against the Dutch, so I'm a bit mystified why she's getting so much love right now.  I would put Leon ahead of her in this tournament.

Doyle's article in the Globe echoes my concerns about the Canada team this year:

The next few days will define a certain special relationship and that relationship is the one between this country and Canada’s women’s soccer team. One of those long-standing, loving partnerships where one side is compassionate, caring and supportive. The other half keeps underachieving, but feeds off all that love and support. 

Canada has an extraordinarily rounded team right now, solid in defence and midfield. All it lacks is strikers who can score with a powerful shot. They are on the roster, but so far have been deployed too late in matches.

Canada takes little or no risks with two central midfield players sitting deep to protect the back four. Don’t tell Canadian fans – because the Canadian media doesn’t – but it makes for boring, predictable and mind-numbing soccer.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/article-greatness-is-in-their-grasp-time-for-canadas-women-to-repay/

Beckie hangs 5 or 6 of her teammates out to dry with yet another terrible giveaway, and now we might be going out of the tournament. How is she starting every match?

55 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Are Beckie and Fleming the two most overrated players, men or women, that Canada have ever had? 

Discuss...

Beckie yes. Not great and certainly doesn't seem to have earned the "automatic starter" status.

Fleming ARE YOU SERIOUS? Arguably our best player. Also the future of the team. Do you watch the games? She NEVER loses possesion! Have you lost your mind?

ps Most overrated player currently for Canada is Cyle Larin.

You know it's not gonna be your day when...

Beckie should not even be out there. Sinclair should have taken the pen.

Sweden look like they believe.

Absolute typical Sweden. Create nothing and grind out a win from a breakaway or set piece. 

Still blown away by not letting Sinclair take the penalty. Why no Huitema again?

We just don't have the xfactor where and when it counts. We have made the space but the final balls haven't been close to good enough.