Match Thread: June 20, 2019 - Valour FC v Pacific FC

17 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Attardo was good I thought.  Exactly what the doctor ordered in a "go get 'em." sort of way.   Points to Gale for dumbing it down, the hesitiation we've seen from this team in attacking through the final third, over thinking things, was there again tonight but also some of the break-through-their-line penetration which has been wanting up to now, and it went a long ways.  So much positive from this team, enough at least that I'm hopefull for the rest of the season in spite of all the negatives they manage to bring along with them every match.  Some of that can be worked out of the team in time I think,  some of it won't be.  Not without changing some bodies out there.  

Ohin has to be a fixture in the gut for the remainder of the season. 

Bustos is going to get himself killed.  Stop it.  I have enough stress in my life.

Cracking goal by Campbell made all the worse by the rising anticipation as it played out.  No, no, no NO!

Very solid crowd, some sort of promo on tonight I think (MSA?).

Love your posts, man. Always have, always will.

Big game for Pacific tonight.  The emergence of Campbell scoring golazo’s is exciting for us out here on the Island.  We might be looking back at what has happened for Pacific and realize that it set the foundations for an excellent team next season.  The guys to watch in this league are the 18-21 year olds who haven’t had a chance at one of the MLS teams.  The vets who had a chance at the big leagues aren’t going to get better.   To lose DeJong,  then Staro,  Issey,  and now Haber & still be competing for 3rd place with 7 U21 or younger players is huge.  Can’t wait for Sunday to see how we build on that and move into 3rd.

For me Calgary not playing any youth and playing mostly home games has skewed the table.  Not too impressed with their Invincible Apertura (mini-season) they can enjoy their moment...but I don’t think it will last.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The defending from the Valour on the first goal is horrific. I suspect the play-by-play people have been told to avoid being too critical.

The play-by-play guy was kind at that moment, but Larson took about 15 seconds into the post game to rip into Murrell.

12 hours ago, Lofty said:

4. Pacific's first goal was a blatant foul on Murrell before the cross. Body checks and/or hip checks are not legal in football. That was a rookie ref mistake. That's how I saw it in real time anyway.

No chance I give that as a foul if I'm refereeing the match. 

I thought the game went quite well with a poor result. @Cheeta had it right. To me, I think that was the most entertaining game I've ever seen Valour play and while the result was not what we wanted, it definitely felt good.

1) The offense felt *DANGEROUS* for a large part of the game. They were going in and shooting a lot more, even if their possession stunk. Just keep hammering the ball at the net and good things will happen.

2) Pacific hit a lot of bodies - a few of them should have been called. When I'm seeing someone flying like Byfuglien hit them and it's not called...

3) Ohin *HAS* to stay. I think he was Valour's MOTM.

4) The defense is rotten. Just *BAD*

5) That being said, I think in the transfer window Valour will be going for another striker, or moving Hoyle out. 

15 hours ago, jonovision said:

...Valour and Pacific are naturally quite trash as a result.

Fuck you asshole. ;)

We are not "trash". PFC played well and deserved the win  

13 hours ago, Lofty said:

3. The Trench were fabulous again. I keep meaning to mention this but somehow get embroiled in talking about the footy. They are loud and proud every match. Kudos.

4. Pacific's first goal was a blatant foul on Murrell before the cross. Body checks and/or hip checks are not legal in football. That was a rookie ref mistake. That's how I saw it in real time anyway.

Not a foul from the replays, and BTW we had one goal wrongly disallowed and a scoring opportunity stolen by incompetent officiating.  I can see why both coaches got cards. That team of officials was really bad.

BTW, why, "The Trench" and not "The Ridge"? A trench is dug into the ground and is below grade. Your guys overlook the field on a rise or "ridge" and since one of the most important places in our history is Vimy Ridge, I would have thought that made more sense. If the English can call their stands a kop (for Spion Kop) I think you can call it The Ridge. ;)

Valour was hosting WSEU soccer club and their families, calling it district night. I think they have been doing this all year at home games with the various clubs in the city. Players and their families get discounts (not a big discount, I think it was $22 for adults and $12 for youth) on tickets in section 112. WSEU covers SW Winnipeg where the stadium is located so might explain the success of the event. My kids play WSEU so I was privy to the emails. I was told it was the first time a club sold out the section and they added some seating in 111. 

On 6/21/2019 at 4:26 AM, Aird25 said:

Pacific finished the game with players that were 18, 19, 19, 20, 20, 20 and 21. They probably would've played a 17 year old, but Alghamdi doesn't travel for midweek games because he has class.

Which is frankly amazing, I think it is unbelievable. I am only writing this because we won, of course, but if you can get results on those terms, you are doing a huge service to the game in Canada. 

I would love to hear what the coach is really thinking by doing this. Perhaps he thinks he can mold youngsters and adjust them to the competition easier than relying on veterans who may not have the motivation or may be too old to learn newer tricks. I just don't know. 

15 hours ago, Lofty said:

I have no idea. Probably they didn't think of it. My choice would have been "The Crescent", since the road behind them is University Crescent, the section itself is on a curved part of the bowl, and it is not in any way self aggrandizing. I really like the name "The Kitchen" in Halifax.

I know this is a dumb place to ask, but why is that called "The Kitchen"?

If PFC was being more physical that is a great sign. I think one of the big issues this year, especially for the younger guys, is they tend to too cheaply lose possession in any physical battle. So nice to see some push back (not debating fouls here)

On 6/21/2019 at 12:39 PM, ted said:

**** you *******. ;)

We are not "trash". PFC played well and deserved the win  

Coming back to this late, but would you not agree that both teams, since their major injuries hit, have been poor, among the worst 2 or 3 in the league? Trash is maybe harsh, but they certainly haven't been good.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Coming back to this late, but would you not agree that both teams, since their major injuries hit, have been poor, among the worst 2 or 3 in the league? Trash is maybe harsh, but they certainly haven't been good.

I totally accept "not good" or "poor" when it is appropriate and even accept that may be how you saw this game. "Trash" simply goes to far.

On 6/22/2019 at 7:23 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I know this is a dumb place to ask, but why is that called "The Kitchen"?

2 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

I am not sure, but I think it may have something to do with Stephen Hart's "Taste the Soup" quote

I'm pretty sure it has to do with Kitchen Parties, which are a big thing on the East Coast (although that might be more of a Newfoundland thing).