Sign in to follow this  
narduch

Match Thread: June 20, 2019 - Valour FC v Pacific FC

Super excited - taking my son to his first Valour game tomorrow night.

That being said, super nervous about Pacific. They're not having a great season so far but Valour looks pretty snake-bit ATM. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Clash of the Titans.

Or the Titanics. Too bad we don't have pro/rel or I'd add a "going down..." song.

titanic.jpg

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)

Jordan Murrell again. He has not won any physical battles this year. Not even close to good enough for this level. He's just so weak.

Edited by jonovision

Posted (edited)

The problem with Valour is that none of the players that one would have counted on going into the season based on profile, pedigree, and experience, have delivered much of anything of value to the team. Starting from the back, Farago has cost the team at least 4 points singlehandedly, Thomas has been average and the captain Murrell has been the team's worst player, Golubar tore his ACL in the second match, Petrasso has been injured constantly, and Hoyle doesn't seem to have the fitness to play more than once or twice a month.

It's been great to have so many local players playing a role, but they were meant to be bench filler, not starters. They've been forced to rely on youth and inexperience more than any team in the league, including Pacific.

The talent is absolutely not there, or at least it has not been on display.

Edited by jonovision

7 minutes ago, jonovision said:

The problem with Valour is that none of the players that one would have counted on going into the season based on profile, pedigree, and experience, have delivered much of anything of value to the team. Starting from the back, Farago has cost the team at least 4 points singlehandedly, Thomas has been average and the captain Murrell has been the team's worst player, Golubar tore his ACL in the second match, Petrasso has been injured constantly, and Hoyle doesn't seem to have the fitness to play more than once or twice a month.

It's been great to have so many local players playing a role, but they were meant to be bench filler, not starters. They've been forced to rely on youth and inexperience more than any team in the league, including Pacific.

The talent is absolutely not there, or at least it has not been on display.

They’re relying on youth more than Pacific? Look at the players on the pitch right now

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

They’re relying on youth more than Pacific? Look at the players on the pitch right now

Valour's front 3 today was 17, 19 and 23. And when it comes to experience in professional environments, Valour is miles behind the rest of the league and it shows. Without Petrasso and Golubar this team is nothing.

Edited by jonovision

Posted (edited)

Hopefully Murrell is shipped out at the summer break. He can't play another meaningful minute at CB. At fault for both goals, losing battles that any professional should win.

Edited by jonovision

10 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Valour's front 3 today was 17, 19 and 23. And when it comes to experience in professional environments, Valour is miles behind the rest of the league and it shows. Without Petrasso and Golubar this team is nothing.

I think its becoming clear that teams in this league need some depth eh?

1 minute ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I think its becoming clear that teams in this league need some depth eh?

Frankly I don't think any of the teams have much depth and those that have suffered with injuries like Valour and Pacific are naturally quite trash as a result.

6 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Frankly I don't think any of the teams have much depth and those that have suffered with injuries like Valour and Pacific are naturally quite trash as a result.

We have had key guys injured almost the entire year. If we didn't have some depth we would be totally toast. I agree though at this stage depth isn't great anywhere - however I think you need some to get over the injuries. Some do have more depth then others.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Pacific finished the game with players that were 18, 19, 19, 20, 20, 20 and 21. They probably would've played a 17 year old, but Alghamdi doesn't travel for midweek games because he has class.

Edited by Aird25

48 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Pacific finished the game with players that were 18, 19, 19, 20, 20, 20 and 21. They probably would've played a 17 year old, but Alghamdi doesn't travel for midweek games because he has class.

Thank you for pointing that out. I do not doubt the injury issues and reliance on some youth for Valour, but no one can complain more on either front than PFC. De Jong before the season, Staro after one game, Issey can barely stay on the field, Haber injured here and there a bit as well, and consistently rolling out a line-up that is u-21 heavy. 

As for the game, it was definitely deserved, and they probably deserved one more. That one play with MacNaughton, at least based on the camera angle, did not look offside. 

Posted (edited)

Home from the match. My thoughts (optimism alert):

1. Galey implemented a complete change of tactics for this one. Possession football apparently shelved for a more direct style. And in spite of the loss, for me it worked. More entertaining to watch and more chances created. Now we just need to convert more of them.

2. Tyler Attardo's first goal was a beauty! Hard for a fan of direct English football to not appreciate that one. But why in the name of all that is holy was he substituted? For Ferguson! The one Valour player who shows me nothing.

3. The Trench were fabulous again. I keep meaning to mention this but somehow get embroiled in talking about the footy. They are loud and proud every match. Kudos.

4. Pacific's first goal was a blatant foul on Murrell before the cross. Body checks and/or hip checks are not legal in football. That was a rookie ref mistake. That's how I saw it in real time anyway.

5. I like Pacific. They look like a football team, not a rugby team. Their kit is great. Their fans are proper footy fans, although none were in evidence tonight.

6. I don't know what the announced attendance was but it felt pretty full. Over 5k for sure, maybe 5.5.

7. I'm going out on a limb (it's OK, I seem to find myself there quite often) but I see something in Muenkat that others appear to be missing. I still think he will come good and we will be singing his name.

8. I'm more optimistic than others. Let's face it, this game counted for nothing: the Spring Season is over. I like that Galey is willing to accept that "possession football" isn't working and is trying something different. And I still think we have quite a few good footballers who will make an impressive team if Galey can ever get them to gel.

Edited by Lofty

ALSO.. How the hell were we not allowed to sub Muenkat when the board went up and Gutierrez stepped out??? Played down to 10 and got scored on, not saying that was why but didn't help..