Gold Cup - June 19th 2019 - Canada vs Mexico

apbsmith

Also, do we want to throw Crepeau to the wolves? With our "backline" and Mexico's quality it could get ugly. He's still a young keeper trying to establish himself.

I say Borjan plays today and if you want to give Crepeau/Lewt a start they start against Cuba to give Borjan a rest before the knockout stage. If we can't win against Cuba with out best lineup and an MLS starter/Championship goalie in net we have bigger problems...

If the GC Wikipedia page is correct, tonight's referee will be Henry Bejarano from Costa Rica. If that name sounds familiar, he was the referee who was originally assigned to our WCQ match in 2015 at BC Place against Honduras, but was then removed.

Edited by jtpc

Was just lurking on the Mex vs Can game thread in the Mexico section of Big Soccer. They seem to recognize our improvements.

One guy said this will be Mexico's only tough game of the group stage, then predicted a 3-0 win for Mexico in the same post lol.

Looks like Pizzaro and Moreno will not dress, as both trained on their own yeaterday. Their starting line-up may look like this:

Ochoa; L. Rodriguez, Alvarez, Araujo, Gallardo; C. Rodriguez, Reyes, Guardado; Antuna, Jimenez, Alvarado.

here's our projected line-up (as per goal.com):

Borjan; Millar, Henry, Cornelius, Davies; Teibert, Piette, Kaye; Arfield, Osorio; Cavallini

21 minutes ago, jtpc said:

If the GC Wikipedia page is correct, tonight's referee will be Henry Bejarano from Costa Rica. If that name sounds familiar, he was the referee who was originally assigned to our WCQ match in 2015 at BC Place against Honduras, but was then removed.

Good thing we have VAR, after his comments about looking out for "his fellow Spanish brothers"... Oh wait. 

Hhmm maybe he will give CAV some love haha 

29 minutes ago, spitfire said:

I have to say it a great atmosphere all be it 99.9% Mexican I’ve seen about 8 Canadian fans...including me..

Where's Waldo (Wally)? Just wave the Canadian flag and make it easy for us. Enjoy the game.

8 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Alright, so if Martinique wins 3-0 against Cuba, and we beat Martinique 4-0, and Cuba lost 7-0 to Mexico, that means we're as good as Mexico mathematically, correct?

Haha as long as Martinique get the W, I'm good.  Martinique's keeper has made a class save but Cuba has looked awful defending set pieces.  Amazed it's only 1-0.

43 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Alright, so if Martinique wins 3-0 against Cuba, and we beat Martinique 4-0, and Cuba lost 7-0 to Mexico, that means we're as good as Mexico mathematically, correct?

Yup. And it also means we will probably tie 7-7 against Mexico. Or maybe it goes 0-0? I'm not sure which, but I vote for 7-7.

1 minute ago, Fullback said:

Could be the three at the back everyone has been clamoring for

Larin-Cav

Kaye

Davies- WJ-Teibert-ZBG

Cornelius-Hutchinson-Henry

Or maybe 4-3-1-2?

Larin-Cav

Davies

Teibert-Hutch-Johnson

Kaye-Henry-Cornelius-ZBG

I'd actually love to see Davies in that role. I might be alone in that though.

2 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Or maybe 4-3-1-2?

Larin-Cav

Davies

Teibert-Hutch-Johnson

Kaye-Henry-Cornelius-ZBG

I'd actually love to see Davies in that role. I might be alone in that though.

Most likely to be accurate 

I had this

--------------------Larin---------Cavallini

‐-------------------------Davies
--------Tiebert--------------------------Johnson
------------------------Hutchinson

Kaye-----Cornelius-----Henry------Brault-Guillard

---------------------------Borjan