apbsmith

Gold Cup - June 19th 2019 - Canada vs Mexico

2 hours ago, rightback said:

No complaints from me about anyone. That last 30 minutes was a blast...Herdman's a lucky boy to inherit that collection of players. We just need some improvements in defense but that may come with more experience.

I still think Piette's a fine destroyer and belongs on field in the next game we have against a strong opponent...I hope his development hasn't stalled since his move to MLS (I haven't had a chance to watch much of his play at the Impact and I had hoped he'd stay in Europe longer).

It’s not like Piette was playing at a high level when he was in Europe. Didn’t look like he was on the verge of playing at a higher level before he came to the MLS. So far he seems to be an every day starter on an average MLS team now. In my ideal starting 11 he doesn’t start, I would put Kay in that position .

5 hours ago, SoccMan said:

It’s not like Piette was playing at a high level when he was in Europe. Didn’t look like he was on the verge of playing at a higher level before he came to the MLS. So far he seems to be an every day starter on an average MLS team now. In my ideal starting 11 he doesn’t start, I would put Kay in that position .

Feel like this is spot on.

I am a fan of Piette, I like his football IQ and I feel like he is a solid member of our National Team. But he plays an integral position where you have a lot of important touches and you need a lot of trust in a player playing as the #6. 

I still feel like he’s a little shaky with his decision-making and the thought of him playing against a pressing team like Mexican frightened me. 

My gut tells me that Kaye is the better choice at this very moment (behind Atiba).

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

So you quoted me, deleted the part where I mentioned Jiménez and directed me to an article on Jiménez?

Alrighty then 😂

I have better things to do than to be on here quoting and correcting every last stupid thing you say, but since you insist:

On 6/20/2019 at 11:04 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

“I think as a measuring stick, we were able to see 21- and 19-year-old players with no experience against this type of opposition, and living there,” Canada manager John Herdman said postgame. “Living against their $35 million-dollar players. Tonight was real learning for those guys.”

Can anyone tell me where/who these $35 million dollar players were? 

Mexico is good but why do we have to exaggerate so much?  You would think we were playing Argentina.  

In fact, the two of the three most valuable players last night in terms of market value were both CANADIAN.  We need to get that though our heads and respect our opponents but not build them up.  According to transfermarket they had one guy worth anywhere near the number Herdman threw out - Raul Jimenez.

You asked me to point you towards "where these $35 million dollar players were?"   So I did.   Yeah, sure you mentioned Jimenez, but it's hard to give you much credit for it since you were waaaay off on his actual value.

I directed you towards a page that listed the price that Wolverhampton recently PAID for Jimenez.   Not a ball-park “market value” guess from some some guy on the internet.  When actual hard numbers are available it's silly to rely on transfermarket for that info.

You said  “According to transfermarket they had one guy worth anywhere near the number Herdman threw out - Raul Jimenez.”   

But Jimenez isn’t worth “anywhere near” the number Herdman threw out, he’s worth quite a bit more actually!   That Guardian article lists his price at $30 million pounds, and I've seen Portuguese media listing the price at $38 mill Euro's.   When you convert the money, that would put his value at either $50 or $57 million CAD, depending on which media outlet you go with.

The gist of what Herdman was saying was that some of these young guys learned a lot because they were swimming in deep international waters for their very first time.  If you are going to go nit-picking that statement, you should first make sure you know what you're talking about!

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

“Here let me twist why I misquoted you” never change @Acid-Tone. Yep, I’m the stupid one for admitting Jiménez was the one guy and for you PURPOSELY deleting that portion.  That’s the funniest part, you went out of your way to misquote me and now you’re playing victim.

Do you really not understand what the word misquote means?

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

Do you really not understand what the word misquote means?

No, I understand.  It’s: “quote (a person or a piece of written or spoken text) inaccurately.” And you purposely deleted a portion of my quote.  So, I don’t know what kind of alt-reality  you’re trying to create but stop. You’re trolling at this point.

Edited by CanadaFan123

9 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

No, I understand.  It’s: “quote (a person or a piece of written or spoken text) inaccurately.” And you purposely deleted a portion of my quote.  So, I don’t know what kind of alt-reality  you’re trying to create but stop. You’re trolling at this point.

You probably need to take your own advice at this point.

Posted (edited)
On 6/19/2019 at 11:05 PM, spitfire said:

I can’t even respond to how dumb that is... 

On 6/20/2019 at 11:52 AM, gator said:

You are in the minority here I suspect, you don't have to agree with everything everyone posts on here but it is a forum where differences of opinion are to be expected and in fact encouraged! I find it somewhat pathetic that a couple of posters have pissed off a guy who obviously has a bit more inside knowledge of the team in general than any of us ever will to the point he is done with this forum! A little respect goes a long way, I don't think that is too much to ask of anyone, at the end of the day we are all Canadian soccer fans, this is not just referring to you btw!

Sigh. Thought I was done with this but I think my friend Carl's post deserves a reply. Carl, question: Does the first post quoted above meet your standard for "respect"?

This is the post to which I took exception. No arguments, just a personal insult. Before that, it was just point and counter point. And that is the point at which I "got into it" with him, which resulted in his rather ridiculous posturing by posting "credentials" which apparently mean his opinion is better than anybody else's!

I have no idea who this person is but he does seem to have a few sycophants on here. If he leaves the forum because his ego can't accept disagreement it is probably for the best.

I don't know why you think @longlugan is in the minority. It seems that quite a few people agree with my point that there was nothing wrong with Herdman's subs (and of course many disagree too). And the ridiculous posturing and idiotic comments by @spitfire that followed were in response to this.

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2019 at 5:25 PM, spitfire said:

Have u actually read my posts or just the draft responses I got. I agree with Herdman agree about the long term goal agree with rotating players my only query was bring on rested players at 60 mins...that’s all everything else I’m on board with the convo u jumped into was about someone wants to play the best 11 in the group stage vs Mexico which I didn’t agree with. 

I don’t pretend to be an expert know everything I offer an opinion all be a relatively educated one but clearly not the end all and be all. I was not weighing my credentials against Herdman’s but agains the arm chair fans...  I apologise if it come across that way...

its the long game I am after... 

Your main confrontation was with me and I never said and do not believe that Herdman should have played his best 11 against Mexico.

You responded to my comment about Herdman's substitutions with an insult rather than arguments, called me a "troll" for disagreeing with you, and then tried to big yourself up by posting "credentials"! 😂

And now this disingenuous attempt to repaint what actually happened. The posts are all still there buddy!

@longlugan's reply to you was bang on the money.

Edited by Lofty