apbsmith

Gold Cup - June 19th 2019 - Canada vs Mexico

1 minute ago, Hawkguy said:

Cav has been good. Borjan good. Davies is running hard. 

That's about it. Defensively we've plugged holes. But we've been very sloppy with the ball.

A lot of that has to do with the pressure mexico applys on the ball. 

2 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

I agree that we could win this match with our best lineup. Frustrating indeed, but maybe we save that for Mexico later in the tournament.  Trying to be optimistic.

This is exactly what I think Herdman is thinking.

Just now, king1010 said:

A lot of that has to do with the pressure mexico applys on the ball. 

Not really. It's some of it. But we've literally ran out of bounds with the ball. We've first touched into basically passes to Mexico multiple times.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

An easier quarter? We’d rather give up the game plan to the team we’d play in the semis to avoid Costa Rica? 

That doesn’t make sense to me. We have to beat Costa Rica, for the tournament, for the program, for the players. No sense in avoiding them.

Huh? If you can beat Mexico and play an easier QF you do so, you don't look past opponents on the off chance you face Mexico again.

Costa Rica is good, they could beat Mexico themselves.

Edited by Razcal

Just now, BuzzAndSting said:

An easier quarter? We’d rather give up the game plan to the team we’d play in the semis to avoid Costa Rica? 

That doesn’t make sense to me. We have to beat Costa Rica, for the tournament, for the program, for the players. No sense in avoiding them.

Why wouldnt we try to win our group to have an easier quarter final?

Thats what every team in the world cup and champs league group stage trys to do. 

They dont say “lets finish second place so we can face a harder team earlier in the knockout stages” 

now that makes no sense. 

Ok I get it rest players because get a result against Cuba and they are through. However, I want to see more possession by Canada and the ability to put a few passes together. Canada has shown at times in this game that they can create some offence. I don’t want to see bunkering type of soccer that we have been seeing throughout the years every time Canada plays Mexico , play soccer Canada has some talented players let them play.

4 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Avoiding costa rica in the quarters

Costa Rica would just take the L vs Haiti and do a full 11 man swap to avoid Mexico, just saying.

Just now, king1010 said:

Why wouldnt we try to win our group to have an easier quarter final?

Thats what every team in the world cup and champs league group stage trys to do. 

They dont say “lets finish second place so we can face a harder team earlier in the knockout stages” 

now that makes no sense. 

I agree based on how weak cuba is, I am extremly confident we would have got 3 points vs cuba with our B team..

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Thank goodness 99% of teams don't think this way. 

Posted (edited)

Larin seems redundant. Another midfielder with neat dribbling skills would change the look of the match. Don't know if we're deliberately conceding midfield. If we aren't we're getting killed there. Mexico are pressing hard, the couple times we passed our way out of trouble they backed off and we had some time to move forward. Only problem is we're playing panicked in tight spaces and can't get our timing right.

Edited by Lansdude

Just now, Razcal said:

Huh? If you can beat Mexico and play an easier QF you do so, you don't look past opponents on the off chance you face Mexico.

Costa Rica is good, they could beat Mexico themselves.

As previously stated, this is what KJ said the game plane was.

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

We are playing well. If Cavallini goes down there the Mexican player is sent off. They scored while we only had 10 men on the field.

Yeah, I am not giving up yet. Yes, they have dominated possession, but I think everyone would predict that.  It is only 1-0 with a fairly experimental lineup. We have 45 minutes to make something happen. 

1 minute ago, apbsmith said:

Costa Rica would just take the L vs Haiti and do a full 11 man swap to avoid Mexico, just saying.

Thats out of our control. We can only control our spot. 

1 minute ago, apbsmith said:

Everyone says this but it rarely happens. Teams have too much pride. 

And Costa Rica's bench would still smash Haiti.

Posted (edited)

You need a wide forward who can transition in game to FW? Tesho Akindele. You need a LB? Cordova. Henry not completely fit? Manjrekar James. This isn't hard Herdman, his personnel decisions make no sense.

Edited by VinceA

Just now, king1010 said:

Thats out of our control. We can only control our spot. 

Agree it's out of control but I understand the squad rotation 100%. 

100% Costa Rica will do what they need to do to play Canada instead of Mexico in the QFs. 

Wow surprised with the hate Larin is getting, I think he is doing really well considering the position Herdman put him in.

Cav is a beast, and Kaye has been our best player. Davies trying but needs support. Johnson =/= David.

On the flip side, ZBG has been really poor. Johnson mediocre. Cornelius' passing isn't very good.

Honestly, I am not impressed overall. This is no different than Canada vs Mexico performances in the past. Yes, Canada isn't playing their strongest XI but this is basically a B+ team from Mexico, especially with Guitierez injured. Hopefully they can pick it up int he 2nd half.

10 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

For those upset we didn’t go for the win, what does a win get you in this game?

Not playing Costa Rica in the quarter finals who could possibly upset Mexico

Just now, apbsmith said:

Agree it's out of control but I understand the squad rotation 100%. 

100% Costa Rica will do what they need to do to play Canada instead of Mexico in the QFs. 

100%. Are you the coach or player? You're making **** up. 

Larin has been ok it’s just that he’s in a tough position. He’s a target man all of a sudden having the ball on his foot in the midfield and expected to drive it forward. It would look better for us if that was junior or david 

4 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Ok I get it rest players because get a result against Cuba and they are through. However, I want to see more possession by Canada and the ability to put a few passes together. Canada has shown at times in this game that they can create some offence. I don’t want to see bunkering type of soccer that we have been seeing throughout the years every time Canada plays Mexico , play soccer Canada has some talented players let them play.

When you say bunkering are you referring to “turtle turtle” strategy a la Floro?