Desiree Scott and Kids Sport

Patrick

I did not know that Desiree Scott was supported by Kids Sport as a youth player but I just saw her profile on TSN and she talked about it.  I found this on the interwebs:

http://www.kidsportcanada.ca/manitoba/winnipeg/desiree-scott-soccer-camp/

I wish they would make more of this to reduce the stigma of using these kinds of alternate funding.  I know a few girls I have coached are borderline every season as to whether their parents have the money to sign them up and as much as I mention alternate funding sources it's a really touchy conversation.  The low income cut-off is pretty low for this kind of funding so it's also an issue of qualifying for kids who may not have the money to register.  Anyway, I thought I'd post this to give it a bit of exposure.

The fact is that when you look at women's soccer, you see it is radically middle and upper middle class amongst the more powerful nations. There are also certain racial biases on some national teams that make you wonder. 

The real solution is not to provide the support so those with lesser income can play. The solution is to drop the fees and have a youth soccer culture that does not exist to keep coaches and clubs in such a comfortable economic zone as a first priority. If we had a proper competitive structure, then someone could come along and charge less, get results, and draw the better players, creating a virtuous circle. The powers that be in women's soccer are not interested in this in too many nations. 

Oddly, Canada has been a country where these club mafias also plague youth boys soccer because our authorities are afraid to rock the boat by doing what all top nations do: set up properly competitive structures for youth. In women, we have similar flaws as other countries; but in men, we have flaws others do not because the vast majority of countries apply basic principles to break the bonds of profiteering clubs.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I could go on for hours about the problems you outlined.  I coached as a volunteer for a long time  before taking a break.  When I came back with my own children I was shocked at the professionalization of community level clubs.  I have seen people getting paid to coach, jockeying for better jobs at bigger clubs, and generally more concerned with their careers than developing players.  The clubs have become captives of semi-pros.

I'm pretty solidly middle class but I don't think I can afford the development pathway BC Soccer has mandated. 

I saw the Buchanan piece did by TSN yesterday and simply flabbergasted that an Ontario provincial coach told her at 14 that the only reason she didn't make the provincial team was her lack of financial resources. Something is definitely rotten with the Ontario system.

Fortunately, Lawrence's parents stepped in to help Buchanan. 

23 hours ago, red card said:

I saw the Buchanan piece did by TSN yesterday and simply flabbergasted that an Ontario provincial coach told her at 14 that the only reason she didn't make the provincial team was her lack of financial resources. Something is definitely rotten with the Ontario system. 

Fortunately, Lawrence's parents stepped in to help Buchanan. 

I missed that, and I can't find it on the TSN site.  If someone has a link to it I would love to see it.  The idea that talent isn't enough is really grating.  I look at Kadeisha Buchanan and Desiree Scott, two black women that needed financial help to succeed and I am very proud that they have found their way to our national team.  When I look at the USWNT I can't help but wonder how much better they would be if they weren't all upper middle class white suburban princesses.  Talent doesn't come from a fat wallet but apparently playing on a developmental team in both Canada and the US does require one.  It's such a shame.

On 6/17/2019 at 2:28 PM, Patrick said:

I missed that, and I can't find it on the TSN site.  If someone has a link to it I would love to see it.  The idea that talent isn't enough is really grating.  I look at Kadeisha Buchanan and Desiree Scott, two black women that needed financial help to succeed and I am very proud that they have found their way to our national team.  When I look at the USWNT I can't help but wonder how much better they would be if they weren't all upper middle class white suburban princesses.  Talent doesn't come from a fat wallet but apparently playing on a developmental team in both Canada and the US does require one.  It's such a shame.

I believe this is what was shown on Saturday before the match.

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/canada-s-buchanan-and-lawrence-have-traveled-long-road-together~1708673