Friendly - June 10, 2019 - Canada v Trinidad and Tobago

9 minutes ago, Fullback said:

We have three and it looks like Hutchinson will also be playing some CB for us. Maybe not what I would have done but I don’t think it’s ridiculous 

I completely forgot about Miller, my bad.

12 hours ago, JamboAl said:

In fact, I wouldn't have been bothered if no score had been kept/publicized.  All I care is that the players and staff are ready for the real thing that starts on Saturday.

Bang on! Just glad it happened. 

Was a bit weird 0 mentions before and multiple tweets after. 

Being picky.... but how about a 1 liner the week before and 1 liner post match, it was just a bit strange but all good. 

So jacked for this Gold Cup!

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah, no kidding. I assume Godino came in for Brault-Guillard. Him and Miller looked to he involved in the build up to the second goal down the right hand side. It didn't look like Kaye was on the field, so perhaps it was Miller who came on for him with Davies dropping to LB. No. 7 looked like Johnson and he likely came on for Osorio and David must have come on for Hoilett. Not sure who No. 5 was, but my guess is that it was Straith in for Cornelius. Don't recall seeing Larin, but I am sure he came on for Cavallini at some point.

No. 7 was Teibert, Johnson was 5. Straith was wearing 15, hopefully just for this match while Henry recovers.  I would keep him rested until we absolutely need him.

Also, it’s Liam Millar and Kamal Miller.  

How about that run on the Cavallini chance by Davies?  More of that with better finishing please.

Edited by CanadaFan123

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

Can we merge the 2 threads?

Sure haha...

From the highlights... 

1) Class finishes by Arfield

2) Wow those wheels on Davies

3) Breakaway with all the time and space in world is a concern....but major props to Borjan to throw him off, very impressive keeping.

15 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

From the highlights... 

1) Class finishes by Arfield

2) Wow those wheels on Davies

3) Breakaway with all the time and space in world is a concern....but major props to Borjan to throw him off, very impressive keeping.

How bad was that breakaway?? That striker looked like he had two left feet. 

19 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Defence looked a bit more shaky in the second video.

Agreed.  That breakaway was ugly and way too easy.  How did they counter so easily?  A couple poor giveaways that they countered on but you could tell by the flow that they never really possessed the ball.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

No. 7 was Teibert, Johnson was 5. Straith was wearing 15, hopefully just for this match while Henry recovers.  I would keep him rested until we absolutely need him.

Also, it’s Liam Millar and Kamal Miller.  

How about that run on the Cavallini chance by Davies?  More of that with better finishing please.

I know the difference, it was just a typo.

Thanks for the rest. Had just saw that on Mlssoccer.com as well.

3 hours ago, VinceA said:

I have to say, Herdman's thoughts that Friendlies aren't helpful, I don't agree with that at all. I'm starting to understand why Zambrano was fired.

Also the fact Herdman only brought two CBs along is ridiculous. And once again, Canadian soccer media is a joke and haven't at all questioned him or the CSA on how they're operating.

I will agree with Herdman for the most part.  The right friendly at the right time that helps the squad, I’m all for.  It’s more important for the team to work together as a unit and especially on set pieces.  IMO, friendlies are a waste of time.

Edited by JamboAl

8 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I will agree with Herdman for the most part.  The right friendly at the right time that helps the squad, I’m all for.  It’s more important for the team to work together as a unit and especially on set pieces.  IMO, friendlies are a waste of time.

I've almost never heard this at any level of the sport.

23 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Yeah, but one of the ways to get people working together as a unit is to play games together.  These friendlies aren't played in isolation - they occur in the context of training sessions and opportunities to work on tactics and team chemistry.  When you don't call the squad together during international windows because there isn't a game schedule, you don't just miss the chance to play for 90 minutes - you miss the chance to work with the guys as a unit.

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, but one of the ways to get people working together as a unit is to play games together.  These friendlies aren't played in isolation - they occur in the context of training sessions and opportunities to work on tactics and team chemistry.  When you don't call the squad together during international windows because there isn't a game schedule, you don't just miss the chance to play for 90 minutes - you miss the chance to work with the guys as a unit.

And I agree, a friendly at that time is ok (when there is no other competitive match going on).  

9 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Wait so friendlies are a waste of time before a major tournament? 

Is that what we're going with here? 

Not sure I'm on board for that. 

Ok, I’ll admit I overreacted a bit.  But I still believe that a friendly is only useful in specific circumstances.  Before a big tournament or where no other competitive fixture is in the FIFA window.  But we had a scrimmage against T&T.  I’m satisfied with that.  A full blown friendly wouldn’t have much additional value.

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

The highlights said it was Rajitsingh for T+T on the second set of highlights, I guess he is gone and dusted.  

This wouldn't cap tie him in any way because it was a scrimmage not any sort of official match.  May definitely indicate where he is leaning, but it doesn't finalize anything.

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

This wouldn't cap tie him in any way because it was a scrimmage not any sort of official match.  May definitely indicate where he is leaning, but it doesn't finalize anything.

Oh if he is playing against Canada, thats got to be the strongest indicator he has made up his mind eh??  No ambiguous, I'm still thinking about whats best baloney/or I'm concentrating on my club etc.  You put on a TT shirt and played against canada, thats pretty definitive.  But good luck to him, hope he gets some real games for them in the GC.  Same for Q Roberts.  

I'm still unsure why this was an unofficial match when they had anthems, ceremonial banners, actual game kits (instead of warm-ups), etc.

Did the CSA not want to pay the registration fee to FIFA or something?