Friendly - June 10, 2019 - Canada v Trinidad and Tobago

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I hope not because that would never be allowed the other way around but I do feel that would be a reason here.  Great, so the one time we have a friendly for the first time in over a year we can’t watch because it so happens that people of the opposite sex are playing on another continent.

You're confusing things.  Regardless of what else was going on, it was always going to be unlikely that it would be televised.

I could care less myself.  All I care about is they kick a ball in anger before the Gold Cup.  Helps for a better showing. 

9 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

You're confusing things.  Regardless of what else was going on, it was always going to be unlikely that it would be televised.

I could care less myself.  All I care about is they kick a ball in anger before the Gold Cup.  Helps for a better showing. 

They did roll around in the sand in anger...if that helps any.  

17 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Unless they scheduled this friendly to begin between 10am and 1:45pm L.A. time (seems unlikely but possible), the Voyageurs board has now gone into full paranoid/conspiracy theory mode. ;)

Hahaha fair enough, just seems beyond strange, 0 announcement.

Perhaps they truly just want it closed doors :), 99% closed door, 1% women world cup game same day ;).

Again, honestly I just want it to actually happen! I'm  believing to think this is going to be an unofficial non-international friendly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, did we not do this before last Gold Cup... basically played an unofficial closed door scrimmage with Nicaragua? ... 

The Canadian team heads to Florida on Sunday and will scrimmage against Nicaragua on Monday before heading to New Jersey on Tuesday for its July 7 tournament opener against French Guiana at Red Bull Arena.

Match or matches were unofficial

Edited by apbsmith
Confirmed

36 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Hahaha fair enough, just seems beyond strange, 0 announcement.

Perhaps they truly just want it closed doors :), 99% closed door, 1% women world cup game same day ;).

Again, honestly I just want it to actually happen! I'm  believing to think this is going to be an unofficial non-international friendly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, did we not do this before last Gold Cup... basically played an unofficialclosed door scrimmage with Nicaragua? 

Correct.  We had one official friendly and then OZ pushed the CSA extremely hard for another game and was given a closed door friendly last minute.

4 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Correct.  We had one official friendly and then OZ pushed the CSA extremely hard for another game and was given a closed door friendly last minute.

Thx, got it. Curacao official and two unofficial closed door mini scrimmages vs Nicaragua. 

Hard to see this being an official match at this point, as long as the boys get a run out, I'm happy.

Edited by apbsmith

9 hours ago, VinceA said:

Nicaragua is playing Argentina. Someone should ask the CSA if they are reaching out to SA nations for friendly oppurtunities. Haiti, Guatemala and other countries regularly get these away friendlies against South American opposition. We should be trying to get these.

They get those friendlies because they're much, much closer to South America and they fly economy. For Argentina and Brazil the whole point of these kind of friendlies is that they're cheap warm-up opponents. At the moment they have no other reason to want to play against us, so they aren't ever going to pay us proper compensation for our much higher travel costs when they have a virtually infinite number of other candidates lining up. So in short, we can't afford them.

Also, for all the people outraged that we're only playing one pre-tournament friendly, the Nicaragua and Haiti matches just happen to be Argentina and Chile's only warm-up friendlies for the Copa America. But obviously a national team's success is still solely determined by the number of friendlies it plays.

11 hours ago, Zem said:

Also, for all the people outraged that we're only playing one pre-tournament friendly, the Nicaragua and Haiti matches just happen to be Argentina and Chile's only warm-up friendlies for the Copa America. But obviously a national team's success is still solely determined by the number of friendlies it plays.

Didn't Chile just miss out on the World Cup?  And Argentina FA is the biggest dumpster fire in international football.  Undeniable Argentinean player talent aside, that is the last Football Association I would want to replicate or even be associated to.

Edited by Corazon

2 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Sinclair would get mad again if they talk about the friendly, cuz of the World Cup LOL

I really hope the silence has nothing to do with our women opening up their World Cup on the same day as I really don't see how a closed door friendly in a different time slot could possibly detract from such an important match for our WNT!

Well someone should come up with a better reason or  hypostasis why we haven’t heard anything about it. 

Also she did get pretty pissed off the last time the men’s team stole the women’s team  Thunder with Ballou signing on. 

It is bizarre and unexplainable.  Though it seems like a conspiracy theory, it is likely to do with the women opening their World Cup.  The CSA has blatantly released this whole joint "Together we rise" campaign sans the friendly today.  To me that shows they don't want to cover it at all but it is clearly happening. Do they not want the pressure or the coverage for some reason?  T&T has announced it so it's not like this is some planned secret.  

I honestly can't think of a weirder match related situation in my 15 years following this team... and there's been many.