Jump to content
CanadaFan123

Friendly - June 10, 2019 - Canada v Trinidad and Tobago

Recommended Posts

Not too fussed about this T&T keeper deflecting from Canada. He probably wouldn't get much chance to play right now and Trinidad are giving him that opportunity, so good for him and them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RS said:

I'm still unsure why this was an unofficial match when they had anthems, ceremonial banners, actual game kits (instead of warm-ups), etc.

Did the CSA not want to pay the registration fee to FIFA or something?

Or my thought was that they didn’t want to pay for FIFA officials and they used a local crew.  Anything to cut corners! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember all those years when Canada couldn’t score in open play?

Both those goals were scored with the combination of individual flair/capabilities and great team awareness/connectivity (1st goal: Davies pace and a good ball in, Hoilett’s top level awareness, Arfield having the quality to put away a difficult finish and 2nd goal: David’s individual skill to separate himself from two defenders, Tiebert able to ping a pass, Arfield and David combining beautifully).

I know it’s just a little clip of highlights but lovely to see after supporting this team for so many years and usually watching unattractive football. So pumped for this Gold Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It certainly seems like they are loose and dreaming big.

Hopefully I'm mentally recovered enough from past scars by our first game to dream big too.

Edited by Califax
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RS said:

I'm still unsure why this was an unofficial match when they had anthems, ceremonial banners, actual game kits (instead of warm-ups), etc.

Did the CSA not want to pay the registration fee to FIFA or something?

Allows for unlimited subs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s  absolutely crap that this game was an official friendly and not played in Canada. We  finally have the team that we all been dreaming of, attacking , skilled, dynamic and Canadian fans can’t see them play live. We have the  stadiums all different sizes (so pick one lol) and finally the CPL. USA soccer and MLS promote each other and it works ! Well friendlies in Canada would be a great way to promote the CPL and the national team.  Such a missed opportunity. The CSA lacks  vision 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really is shocking the treatment our men’s team gets.  The women’s team seems to have a ton of high quality home friendlies every single year.

We now have a team that can draw - we don’t need a huge name team just a respectable team I.e Slovakia, Hungary etc.  But we can’t do that?  Last men’s home friendly got 20k+ in Toronto.

Does the CSA not like money?  Maybe because then they don’t need to play more friendlies.  “No, no we can’t have home friendlies because then we’ll make money and have to book more!”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Does the CSA not like money?  Maybe because then they don’t need to play more friendlies.  “No, no we can’t have home friendlies because then we’ll make money and have to book more!”

So the assumption is that friendlies =  profit.  Might want to look into that before continuing the diatribe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

So the assumption is that friendlies =  profit.  Might want to look into that before continuing the diatribe.

Nice obtuse take.  If you didn’t cut out the rest of the post you would see the reasoning.  If you don’t think this team is marketable that’s your opinion but try to be genuine in your arguments.  

20k is going to be a game day profit guaranteed.  Whether it covers the cost of the camp is another thing but if you’re  making minimal losses (at worst) .. what’s the problem?  It’s just ridiculous we don’t even try.  

The USMNT and Mexico make profit on home friendlies.  I guess your assumption is that’s not possible for us?  Well of course not if we never play at home it’s never going to happen.

Edited by CanadaFan123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Nice obtuse take.  If you didn’t cut out the rest of the post you would see the reasoning.  If you don’t think this team is marketable that’s your opinion but try to be genuine in your arguments.  

Marketing /= profit either.  I don't think you understand the number of tickets that would need to be sold at a particular price point to make this a profitable venture, more than just a one off now and then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m just sad that we rarely get to see the CANMNT play then finally when there is a game they don’t broadcast it, the CSA and Herdman say they want to inspire future generations, how will that happen if you never show our national team playing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, El Hombre said:

Marketing /= profit either.  I don't think you understand the number of tickets that would need to be sold at a particular price point to make this a profitable venture, more than just a one off now and then.

So why don’t you enlighten me?  The problem isn’t that it’s not possible, it’s that we have an FA that can’t even shell out for a french language speaker on their twitter account.  With that level of laziness you can see exactly the type of organization you’re dealing with and it’s not a shock that they can’t manage to put this together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The USMNT and Mexico make profit on home friendlies.

Mexico hasn't had a home friendly in at least a decade. Maybe two.

EDIT: I guess they had a couple in Mexico in 2018. That's actually surprising, and completely against the general strategy taken by the FMF this century.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Allows for unlimited subs?

Actually that wasn't the case. Apparently the T&T coach was kinda peeved because he thought that there were unlimited subs and that he could give his whole squad playing time. However, it turns out that there were only six allowed subs.

http://ttfootball.org/2019/06/11/tt-men-downed-in-final-gold-cup-warm-up/

“I was just a bit disappointed with the way the rules were used. We were only allowed to use six substitutions and we were planning to give everybody a game today. We wanted to play some people for 45 minutes but we were not able to do that today but all in all it was a pretty good exercise for the boys."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Daryn27 said:

I’m just sad that we rarely get to see the CANMNT play then finally when there is a game they don’t broadcast it, the CSA and Herdman say they want to inspire future generations, how will that happen if you never show our national team playing?

There will be at least three games of the Gold Cup on TSN.  Those are the games that should inspire future generations.

would be interesting to know how many eyeballs will watch those matches.

Edited by JamboAl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I kinda like the approach.. we're kinda laying in the weeds.. slowly building.. Making people hungry

 

I predict a big Gold Cup.. Maybe taking 1 of 2 from Mexico. Thus leading to big anticipation to Nations League.. a draw v the US in Merica and then an epic win against the US at BC Place in front of 55k. Boom! Top 40 fifa rating by the end of the year. 

Edited by SpursFlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

So why don’t you enlighten me?  The problem isn’t that it’s not possible, it’s that we have an FA that can’t even shell out for a french language speaker on their twitter account.  With that level of laziness you can see exactly the type of organization you’re dealing with and it’s not a shock that they can’t manage to put this together.

That makes absolutely no sense.  Because X is true, Y must also be true.  Also assumes a limitless budget.  Must be nice.

The fact of the matter is that all of the "...just organize a friendly with team X..." hot takes aren't taking into account a myriad of issues.  Many of which are doubly problematic when everyone wants them in Canada:

- Opponent appearance fee
- Lodging and travel to Canada for the opponent and staff
- Lodging and travel to Canada for our own players and staff
- Referees
- Stadium rental
- Other fees associated with the stadium rental (concessions, security, maintenance, janitorial)
- Ticketing infrastructure
- Practice field rental
- Bus rental
- I'm sure there are a bunch more costs that I am unfamiliar with, particularly with regards to television rights.

Plus, every city in Canada has unique issues.  Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver are easy to get to but all the associated costs are twice that of other cities.  Auxiliary cities like Winnipeg, Calgary, Ottawa, Edmonton, Halifax are cheaper once you arrive but are significantly more expensive to get to.

I would be very surprised if the CSA turned a profit on the friendlies they host.  Sure, they got 21K against Jamaica in 2017.  They also got 6K against Curacao in Montreal that same year.  I'll bet the costs for both were about the same.  Would be surprised if they had a new profit on 2017 friendlies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Canada side should have no problem going forward, but am I the only one nervous about the defence? T&T should have had at least 1 goal there; and if you read the comments on the T&T highlight video, their squad seems to lack offence big time. Canada would get punished on the counter by teams like Honduras, Jamaica, Panama, etc, let alone Costa Rica and Mexico. Did you seem what Costa Rica did to the US in New Jersey last World Cup Qualifying?

With experimental formations, and a pieced-together backline, I would have thought some friendlies over the last 12 months to develop cohesion and see what does/doesn't work against better competition (ie not Caribbean minnows) would have made sense. That said, I am happy they played this match vs T&T, even if it is too little too late and they botched it from a PR perspective :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

That makes absolutely no sense.  Because X is true, Y must also be true.  Also assumes a limitless budget.  Must be nice.

The fact of the matter is that all of the "...just organize a friendly with team X..." hot takes aren't taking into account a myriad of issues.  Many of which are doubly problematic when everyone wants them in Canada:

- Opponent appearance fee
- Lodging and travel to Canada for the opponent and staff
- Lodging and travel to Canada for our own players and staff
- Referees
- Stadium rental
- Other fees associated with the stadium rental (concessions, security, maintenance, janitorial)
- Ticketing infrastructure
- Practice field rental
- Bus rental
- I'm sure there are a bunch more costs that I am unfamiliar with, particularly with regards to television rights.

Plus, every city in Canada has unique issues.  Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver are easy to get to but all the associated costs are twice that of other cities.  Auxiliary cities like Winnipeg, Calgary, Ottawa, Edmonton, Halifax are cheaper once you arrive but are significantly more expensive to get to.

I would be very surprised if the CSA turned a profit on the friendlies they host.  Sure, they got 21K against Jamaica in 2017.  They also got 6K against Curacao in Montreal that same year.  I'll bet the costs for both were about the same.  Would be surprised if they had a new profit on 2017 friendlies.

All of those factors combined would not account for a loss with 21k in the seats.  Also keep in mind you don’t have professional salaries etc. Which makes many of those figures a wash. 

If what you are saying is true that would mean the CPL is doomed to failure.  With 5k in seats, Canadian airfare, hotels, salaries, coaches etc. the business model is a lot weaker than an international friendly.  Let’s say tickets are $25 a piece and for arguments sake, Canada doesn’t draw well as expected.. they get 16k instead of 21k.  In both examples the attendees spend an average of $8 each at concessions.

CMNT friendly @ 16k = $400,000 + 128,000 concessions = $528,000 

CPL @ 5k = $125,000 + 40,000 concessions = $165,000 

so that’s a revenue difference of $350k ~ again rounding down. In both cases the number is a little generous perhaps when you factor in freebies etc. But you get the point.  Obviously with a bigger stadium overhead is more etc. 

Some of the factors you’ve listed are valid, but they fail to explain why we don’t have home matches. I’d agree with you that the 2017 friendlies were a wash after curaçao. 

You also need to remember that a lot of stuff is sponsored or comped.  We likely don’t have to pay for a practice field and we’re obviously not paying full price (or at all) to rent BMO and train for matches in Toronto. 

The potential is there and hopefully after our home matches this fall the CSA realizes we’ve now turned a corner and it’s the way to go moving forward.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For months and months I've been hearing non-stop complaining about lack of friendlies because it hurts CMNTs ability to be cohesive and in-sync going into big tournaments. Now they have one and it's all about having friendlies at home and open? Just be happy they got a run out against another team..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Oh if he is playing against Canada, thats got to be the strongest indicator he has made up his mind eh??  No ambiguous, I'm still thinking about whats best baloney/or I'm concentrating on my club etc.  You put on a TT shirt and played against canada, thats pretty definitive.  But good luck to him, hope he gets some real games for them in the GC.  Same for Q Roberts.  

Tomori repped the Canadian kit against England (although I'm aware that youth caps are a lot less indicative)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Tomori repped the Canadian kit against England (although I'm aware that youth caps are a lot less indicative)

Touche....of course thats why his case will really hurt if he doesnt come back eventually.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Nice obtuse take.  If you didn’t cut out the rest of the post you would see the reasoning.  If you don’t think this team is marketable that’s your opinion but try to be genuine in your arguments.  

20k is going to be a game day profit guaranteed.  Whether it covers the cost of the camp is another thing but if you’re  making minimal losses (at worst) .. what’s the problem?  It’s just ridiculous we don’t even try.  

The USMNT and Mexico make profit on home friendlies.  I guess your assumption is that’s not possible for us?  Well of course not if we never play at home it’s never going to happen.

The US & Mexico via SUM charge an arm and a leg for friendlies. More than Premier League matches. More than world champions France charged for a friendly this year.

In Canada, everyone gets up in arms if the highest tix are $50 while US was charging north of $200 for their winter friendlies in Texas. Mexico gets easily north of 50k for their friendlies in the US - only time Canada gets near that level is when we play Mexico.

This type of money means SUM can pay a nice fee to get quality teams to come play in the US. 

That being said, we do need more matches in Canada. Even the women which have a higher following than the men don't play that often in Canada. This tells me the CSA doesn't have the organizational wherewithall and ability to suffer too many potential losses.

Edited by red card

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...