Friendly - June 10, 2019 - Canada v Trinidad and Tobago

8 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I don't understand all the fuss on here.  It was a semi-competitive run out for the players.  Do I care what the score was?  No.

In fact, I wouldn't have been bothered if no score had been kept/publicized.  All I care is that the players and staff are ready for the real thing that starts on Saturday.

A reasonable post that:

1) Doesn't needlessly sh!t on the CSA

2) Doesn't involve a Christine Sinclair #CanWNT conspiracy theory

I'm not sure how to handle this....

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

39 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I don't understand all the fuss on here.  It was a semi-competitive run out for the players.  Do I care what the score was?  No.

In fact, I wouldn't have been bothered if no score had been kept/publicized.  All I care is that the players and staff are ready for the real thing that starts on Saturday.

A-fucking-men.

The game was never going to be streamed.  Not sure why everyone needed confirmation that a game that they were never going to see was going to happen in an empty stadium.

If I was running the CSA twitter, I wouldn't have announced the game either because then I avoid answering the same question over and over (and over and over)...

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

A-*******-men.

The game was never going to be streamed.  Not sure why everyone needed confirmation that a game that they were never going to see was going to happen in an empty stadium.

If I was running the CSA twitter, I wouldn't have announced the game either because then I avoid answering the same question over and over (and over and over)...

Sinclair got to you.

35 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

A-*******-men.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

The fuss actually comes from not playing any matches, let alone legit friendlies, ahead of basically the most important tournament Canada actually participates in. 

If Canada had been playing friendlies during international windows (including at least one in the run up to the Gold Cup), running B camps, etc, no one would give a sh!t about a closed-door friendly and its lack of stream/highlights. But the fact is we get hype but no games, and certainly none again respectable competition. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite the team, but regardless, as a supporter it is beyond frustrating.

So, yeah, can we at least get video of the goals? FFS....

30 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

The fuss actually comes from not playing any matches, let alone legit friendlies, ahead of basically the most important tournament Canada actually participates in. 

If Canada had been playing friendlies during international windows (including at least one in the run up to the Gold Cup), running B camps, etc, no one would give a sh!t about a closed-door friendly and its lack of stream/highlights. But the fact is we get hype but no games, and certainly none again respectable competition. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite the team, but regardless, as a supporter it is beyond frustrating.

I recently watched an interview with Sardar Azmoun of Iran and he attributed Iran's(who were favourites to win the tournament) disappointing Asian cup to the lack of friendlies against quality competition. 

It's not the end of world but it's beyond frustrating when Nicaragua can get a game against Argentina or when Haiti can get in a game against Chile but all we can get is a scrimmage that they don't even acknowledge until 10 minutes before. 

Edited by JuicyHam

54 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I would rather get the team together than head thousands of kilometres to S. America to play a friendly.  The travel for the Gold Cup group games is going to be bad enough.  So in this case, I'm not fussed.  But I might be in the minority on this board.  

BTW, there is no hype.  The hype is all on the Raptors or the Women's World Cup. 

30 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I would rather get the team together than head thousands of kilometres to S. America to play a friendly.  The travel for the Gold Cup group games is going to be bad enough.  So in this case, I'm not fussed.  But I might be in the minority on this board.  

BTW, there is no hype.  The hype is all on the Raptors or the Women's World Cup. 

Who said anything about a friendly in south america?

one in florida or california would have done the trick. 

South and central american teams love their US friendlies to get all the expats out and make a quick buck. 

Edited by king1010

15 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Who said anything about a friendly in south america?

one in florida or california would have done the trick. 

South and central american teams love their US friendlies to get all the expats out and make a quick buck. 

Or we could get REAL crazy with it and play a match in Canada against a South/Central American team.  Get expats AND Canadians out to see this guy called Alphonso Davies.  Hey, wouldn't that be neat?!  

Just saw the highlights I hope Arfield saves some of that magic for the tournament, because both of those goals were absolutely filthy. The second was a very high level team goal as well. The guys looked very high on confidence.

Jonathan David's composure to wiggle away and then later in the move he has the awareness to tee-up Arfield with a header in the box. Just sublime. It's not hard to see why he had so many assists in Belgium. That guy is just an all around smart player with the ability to pull it off.

There had to be at least 10 players touching the ball. I gotta go back and check and watch it again. Thing of beauty!

Edit: 11. There were 11 passes on that goal between at least 6 different players.

Edited by Obinna

I have to say, Herdman's thoughts that Friendlies aren't helpful, I don't agree with that at all. I'm starting to understand why Zambrano was fired.

Also the fact Herdman only brought two CBs along is ridiculous. And once again, Canadian soccer media is a joke and haven't at all questioned him or the CSA on how they're operating.

Edited by VinceA

10 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

If Canada had been playing friendlies during international windows (including at least one in the run up to the Gold Cup), running B camps, etc, no one would give a sh!t about a closed-door friendly and its lack of stream/highlights.

I call bullsh!t on this. 

Unless there are three friendlies lined up with two in Canada all against top 20 teams with national broadcast rights secured, we would still see the same griping.  It doesn't change.

And even then, the contingent that thinks we should only be playing central american teams would get their keyboards ready at that point...

Why cater to a group that has absolutely no understanding of fiscal considerations and is never satisfied?  Like I said, if that was the case, I'd go dark too.  Let the coach work with the players without any distractions and actually get a chance to figure a few things out on the pitch.

Edited by El Hombre

58 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I have to say, Herdman's thoughts that Friendlies aren't helpful, I don't agree with that at all. I'm starting to understand why Zambrano was fired.

Also the fact Herdman only brought two CBs along is ridiculous. And once again, Canadian soccer media is a joke and haven't at all questioned him or the CSA on how they're operating.

We have three and it looks like Hutchinson will also be playing some CB for us. Maybe not what I would have done but I don’t think it’s ridiculous 

8 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Would have been nice to see how the team lined up and the box score? 

Yeah, no kidding. I assume Godino came in for Brault-Guillard. Him and Miller looked to he involved in the build up to the second goal down the right hand side. It didn't look like Kaye was on the field, so perhaps it was Miller who came on for him with Davies dropping to LB. No. 7 looked like Johnson and he likely came on for Osorio and David must have come on for Hoilett. Not sure who No. 5 was, but my guess is that it was Straith in for Cornelius. Don't recall seeing Larin, but I am sure he came on for Cavallini at some point.