Friendly - June 10, 2019 - Canada v Trinidad and Tobago

I would bet quite a bit that it has to do with the Women's World Cup. The other reasons seem more far-fetched. I will be rooting for the women wholeheartedly, but gender related issues in sports are really just like a lightning rod for criticism. It is just like with the collapse of CWHL. The idea of suggesting that a league with a team in China, average attendance under 1,000/team, and trying to pay salaries that are higher then the CPL/living wages might not have a sustainable business model opened you up to heavy criticism.  It is annoying that it gets to this point, where the men's friendly is just ignored, but I sympathize with the CSA on this one. What happens if they make one post on it? All one CWNT player has to do is point it out and they have another social media blow-up.

To be honest, I don't think it is that far fetched to think that the CWNT opener at the WWC may have played a role in the decision.  I am sure it isn't the sole issue, but the CSA are well aware of the fact that the WWC is the biggest show going on right now for their program.  Not wanting to divide attention among Canadian footy fans is not exactly cloak and dagger stuff.  There may be lots of other reasons too - a 'no pressure' environment for the boys, not showing any tactics to opposing coaches, cost and tech headaches of streaming it, etc. - but it also makes sense to not detract from the focus on the women's team. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think we are analyzing this way too much.

Both nations probably decided on a closed door friendly in an effort to cut costs.

I don't think there is any deep meaning here.

I agree, I think the main question we have is why the secrecy, why absolutely no mention of this match by the CSA, they are treating it like it isn't happening, that is puzzling! I can understand a closed door friendly for a number of reasons, I'm pleased we are actually playing a match, I wish we could watch it!

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I think we are analyzing this way too much.

Both nations probably decided on a closed door friendly in an effort to cut costs.

I don't think there is any deep meaning here.

Yes - that is normal but they ANNOUNCE IT.  @Blackdude if you’ll recall the CSA didn’t make it a secret that we were scrimmaging Nicaragua... here we have a real match and it’s a secret.

As @ktf pointed out there’s a real toxicity to this duality.  I don’t think people should be bullied into following a certain team - I certainly wouldn’t want women’s fans deprived of a friendly because our men’s team played in the World Cup that day.  The truth is I’ve travelled through multiple countries following our men’s team, I haven’t done the same for the women but I still watch and support them on tv.  Now I can’t even be INFORMED of our first friendly in over a year? They really think people are going to skip the women’s game because of a friendly at a different hour?  I truly believe it’s time to split social feeds to avoid this and other controversies that will inevitably creep up on the way to 2026.

Seeing as T&T, the official podcast of the CPL and the BLACKBURN ROVERS have announced our friendly before our FA... yea something stinks.

https://twitter.com/Rovers/status/1138038097348845568

All of this could be solved if we had one singular media person willing to ask a question.  Molinaro, Squizz, KJ, Caldwell... how do these people even pretend to be real pundits/journalists?  

Edited by CanadaFan123

Media blackout for 5+ different conspiracies, man I just hope it actually happens.

Lack of report could be as basic as scheduling issues, since already multiple different reports.

CSA should have just said something so basic as: "closed door scrimmage TBD vs T&T in prep for the CMNT Gold Cup that starts June 15th". 

Another tweet on June 14 saying: "Men start Gold Cup tomorrow , preparation went well and CMNT are ready". 

#TogetherWeRise

Aaaahhh the journey of supporting the CMNT. 

Edited by apbsmith

If this is true, its shocking and they should be called out for it. If the Men were in the World Cup and the Women were playing in a close door friendly I would expect them to announce that was happening. And if they didn’t, the CSA should be called out. 

And I support the women. I am flying in from Hong Kong to see the Grenoble match. 

It’s totally normal to not announce matches, I used to follow the Cook Islands and it happened all the time.

Nothing will happen because we have no true media and not enough fans to make a fuss.  Which makes it even more confusing why they wouldn’t announce it?  I’d be happy with a single camera like the Guatemala match in 2015.

Edited by CanadaFan123

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Surprised to see Herdman now trying Davies at centre back.  Guess that explains why we only called 3 though.

Don't think he will be playing there the whole game though.  Probably move him up field later.

This is clearly an experiment and not long term.