Friendly - June 10, 2019 - Canada v Trinidad and Tobago

15 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Jorge Sampaoli said the same thing when he took over Argentina. He was more concerned with working with the players as friendlies got in the way. 

1) As good as a coach Sampaoli has been in the past, his time in Argentina with the National Team was considered very disappointing.  In fact, Herdman has been coach of Canada's mens program for nearly 6 more months than Sampaoli's tenure with Argentina.

2) The Argentinean Football Association is considered one of the worst run international organizations in the sport.

3) In 13 months as coach of Argentina he played 7 friendlies along with 8 competitive matches.  So that quote has very little merit to me. He also played 21 friendlies as coach of Chile which is equal to his 21 competitive games as their manager.

8 minutes ago, Corazon said:

1) As good as a coach Sampaoli has been in the past, his time in Argentina with the National Team was considered very disappointing.  In fact, Herdman has been coach of Canada's mens program for nearly 6 more months than Sampaoli's tenure with Argentina.

2) The Argentinean Football Association is considered one of the worst run international organizations in the sport.

3) In 13 months as coach of Argentina he played 7 friendlies along with 8 competitive matches.  So that quote has very little merit to me. He also played 21 friendlies as coach of Chile which is equal to his 21 competitive games as their manager.

I was not arguing that is was successful or that they didn’t play friendlies, I was just countering the point that is is unheard of that a coach would prefer to train with the national team instead of play friendlies. 

24 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I was not arguing that is was successful or that they didn’t play friendlies, I was just countering the point that is is unheard of that a coach would prefer to train with the national team instead of play friendlies. 

But have we gotten the team together for intensive training and coaching sessions during international windows or have we simply skipped them most of the time?  My understanding is that it has generally been the latter. 

Omitting friendlies so that you can focus on working with the team is one thing, but missing windows entirely is something quite different. 

Just now, VinceA said:

The big question will be if we get a Jan Camp. If we don't that's a slapp in the face to the CPL guys who will be looking to make an impression on the national team. When else would they get an oppurtunity to play in a less intense environment? We didn't have one this winter, which was a mistake.

We didn’t have one in 2018 either - just a u23 camp.

7 hours ago, VinceA said:

The big question will be if we get a Jan Camp. If we don't that's a slap in the face to the CPL guys who will be looking to make an impression on the national team. When else would they get an opportunity to play in a less intense environment? We didn't have one this winter, which was a mistake.

This camp is ideal for CPL players and MLS players which are both in their off-season.  The players based abroad (Europe) stay with their respective clubs and this should give the fringe players an opportunity to show.  Frankly you can leave players like Osorio, Piette, MAK etc. as they are established Canadian NT players already.  Call CPL players and MLS players such as Buchanon, Montgomery, Shome etc.

Alright alright, USL players can be included but we should really continue to promote the CPL and give more incentive for Canadian players to come back to the CPL or upcoming players a reason to stay in Canada.

Edited by Corazon

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

am also in favour of leaving USL players off the national program.  CPL & USL are similar in quality and we should really promote the CPL and give more incentive for Canadian players to come back to the CPL or upcoming players a reason to stay in Canada.

I always encourage players go where its best for them, i.e. more opportunities and better $$$

23 hours ago, JamboAl said:

There will be at least three games of the Gold Cup on TSN.  Those are the games that should inspire future generations.

would be interesting to know how many eyeballs will watch those matches.

Yes true but the more exposure you give the team the better chances that people will watch them!

3 hours ago, Corazon said:

This camp is ideal for CPL players and MLS players which are both in their offseason.  The players based abroad stay with their respective clubs and this should give the fringe players an opportunity to show.  Frankly you can leave players like Osorio, Piette, MAK etc. as they are established Canadian NT players already.  Call CPL players and MLS players such as Buchanon, Montgomery, Shome etc.

I am also in favour of leaving USL players off the national program.  CPL & USL are similar in quality and we should really promote the CPL and give more incentive for Canadian players to come back to the CPL or upcoming players a reason to stay in Canada.

100% disagree and I'm sure the CSA would be on side with me here.  If you're good enough and you are Canadian and play in the USL or any other comparable league, you should get a look in.  The CPL needs to be able to stand on its own merits which I'm sure it will.   

21 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

100% disagree and I'm sure the CSA would be on side with me here.  If you're good enough and you are Canadian and play in the USL or any other comparable league, you should get a look in.  The CPL needs to be able to stand on its own merits which I'm sure it will.   

I respect that.  I never really saw anyone demanding USL players being called up to our National Program in years past unlike the demand fans are asking for CPL players to be called up but I am 100% okay with it as well.

I believe that our 23 man National Team is likely not going to see too many players from either league as we continue to see our players expand to top level leagues all around the world.  Come competition time, most of our players are going to be foreign based and/or MLS based.  More in reference for these offseason camps than anything but might actually make more sense to include USL since the camps are usually based in Florida.

Edited by Corazon

15 hours ago, VinceA said:

I know it's Wikipedia, but they're listing this as a full friendly for both Trinidad and Tobago and Canada. So make of that what you will.

It says no such thing, in fact it literally says "Unofficial friendly" at the bottom of the box.