Sign in to follow this  
narduch

Match Thread: June 12, 2019 - Valour FC v HFX Wanderers - 2nd Round - 2nd Leg

Posted (edited)

Match is at 7:30pm CT (8:30 pm ET) on One Soccer.

Wanderers won the first leg 2-1.

Winner goes on to face the USL's Ottawa Fury.

Edited by narduch

Looks as though the crowd might be better than expected, given the lack of visibility afforded these VCup matches, which until recently did not even appear in the default Valour schedule listed on the website. Nevertheless, will probably be the smallest crowd to date: looking like just under 4k unless we get significant walk up.

On June 9, 2019 at 10:25 AM, narduch said:

Match is at 8:30pm CT (7:30 pm ET) on One Soccer.

Wanderers won the first leg 2-1.

Winner goes on to face the USL's Ottawa Fury.

Are the times wrong?  Eastern is later than central.  

Posted (edited)

Valour team news:

Mitter should be fully recovered and available for selection after his shoulder injury. Thomas's tweaked hamstring will keep him on the sidelines for this one. Gutierrez is probably close to full fitness and may feature.

Possible line up, bearing in mind that Galey is harder to predict than the bloody English weather:

Goal: The Janssens spell has finally been broken and his weakness handling crosses exposed. Expect to see Farago back in goal.

Defence: Back 3 or back 4? One the one hand, Valour will want to keep it tight as they have that away goal in their pocket. On the other hand, Galey seems to prefer a back 3. Then again, HMS Mitter needs to be complemented with defenders who do not time their 40 yard dash with a calendar. Preferably 3 of them (in addition to Mitter). Back 3 it is then (L to R): Arguiñarena, MurrellMitter.

Forwards: Hoyle is Valour's only proven goal scoring forward. They need him on the pitch. He starts at CF. It is notable that Valour scored the winner at FCE after Hoyle and Musse were introduced. Musse looks like the perfect foil for Hoyle (yeah, that was unintended). And Petrasso. So far as I am concerned, Petrasso at wing back was a failed experiment. He belongs in the attacking half of the pitch, so he starts beside Musse, playing just behind Hoyle.

Midfield. DM: Beland-Goyette and Sacramento holding the fort in front of the back 3. Bustos and Gutierrez playing further up, supporting the attack and working with Petrasso and Musse to provide width.

That gives us a 3-4-2-1.

Other thoughts: I wonder when we will see Muenkat again. He grew in confidence and finished strong against Forge. I think there is more to come from him.

Edited by Lofty

Beautiful day for watching football in the 'peg. 20°C and sunny. Too bad more people don't know this is on or understand the importance. Still lots of tickets available.

Posted (edited)

New game, same problem. Valour dominating possession without creating a whole lot, Valour's shaky D looks like it can be unlocked at any moment by a single pass, or lost physical battle, of which Mitter and Murrell have had many.

Ohin offers more going forward than I had expected he would.

Edited by jonovision

Posted (edited)

I'm just astonished at how bad that was from Farago. Amateurish stuff. He had both of his CBs screaming at him after that miss.

Edited by jonovision

Posted (edited)

You haven't watched much Valour if you think they're scoring 2 yet, especially with both of their most vital players injured. It's over.

Edited by jonovision

The last 25 or so minutes is going to be painful, as the Halifax dive and act hurt parade is beginning. They are the only team in the CPL that have shown this tendency, much to my disgust. I wish they crack down on it. 

What are the rules regarding dropping players from the roster mid-season? I suspect Muenkat may not be long for the CPL; the level is clearly way beyond his abilities.

13 minutes ago, ktf said:

The last 25 or so minutes is going to be painful, as the Halifax dive and act hurt parade is beginning. They are the only team in the CPL that have shown this tendency, much to my disgust. I wish they crack down on it. 

In all fairness besides 'The Garcia incident' - there have been virtually no stopping in the final 25.

Another game with a 'let em play' ref and this clearly benefited Halifax as things went on. If this is the way the league will be officiated (and I hope it's not as it makes for worse soccer) Valour will need to get significantly tougher.

1 minute ago, grasshopper1917 said:

As I say that Garcia goes down again   lol

I was just going to say you jinxed it! If they just play and Garcia stays up, they are in full control.