2019 Women's World Cup

Admin

3 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Yeah, that refereeing is great!  The referee in the England Cameroon game really kept control of that game, what with ignoring spitting and giving a yellow for a flagrant studs up attack on the English captain...

Maybe some Chinese wisdom in there: balance in a right way.

Just now, The Ref said:

The VAR and the army of referees once again causing controversy and delays.  England Cameroon. 

The controversy are mainly came from the misunderstanding or lack of understanding of the new refereeing system from the players and coach.

Are we going to have a fairer refering decision without VAR in the game?  I doubt. 

1 hour ago, lamptern said:

Are we going to have a fairer refering decision without VAR in the game?  I doubt. 

Would VAR have put Ireland through after Thierry Henry's hand ball?  Probably.  But is that enough to justify the constant stoppages and destruction of the flow of the game? Helping get penalties right in this era of professional diving seems good, or catching flagrant fouls missed by the officials - although the referee can still screw that up - seems good.  But calling 'keepers for miniscule infractions only visible in super slo-mo, or making ARs keep their flags down for 10 seconds of review, that is too much to me.  Fair has to balanced with allowing the game to actually get played.

I think our Canadian ref totally got that France goal wrong, calling it back after consulting VAR. A bad decision IMO, could not see the logic at all. 

It is Beaudoin, and sure I'd like her to do well. 

In general I have found that the refs are very biased in favour of the dominant team in almost every single match, almost all 50-50 decisions have gone the way of the respective favourite. 

I also have my opinion about where the worst reffing is coming from, but rather not say.

Did not see the beginning of France -Brazil but found the extra time a bit odd. After the 2-1 goal there seemed to be not much fight left in Brazil. Particularly a lack of urgency in the last 5 minutes. At 117 minutes they had a promising attack going but only committed 3 players into the box against 5 or 6 defenders. From there on they seemed to play defensively as if they were more worried about conceding another than scoring one. When your tournament is almost over,  if not now then when is a good time to throw everything forward?

Edited by Sport Shaman

VAR in the men's WC went relatively well. In the women's, there has been more involvement, more time taken and more of the head ref reversing their decision.

Certainly with offsides, it is due to poorer ARs than in the men's WC. For the others, lack of experience and lack of clarity in how they ref by the head ref and by the VAR refs is one of the factors. 

We see this at the league level also. MLS hasn't implemented VAR well - again due in part to lower calibre refs than see in the men's WC and the North American proposenity to make these things overly complicated with over reliance on technology rather than common sense.

18 hours ago, Lofty said:

By all means continue to struggle if you wish. But then I'd appreciate it if in the future you would refrain from making passive aggressive comments about thinking and posting. Respect needs to go both ways.

I have a history of two sentences with you, from which I have mental health issues. Good demonstration of respect.

18 hours ago, Sport Shaman said:

Did not see the beginning of France -Brazil but found the extra time a bit odd. After the 2-1 goal there seemed to be not much fight left in Brazil. Particularly a lack of urgency in the last 5 minutes. At 117 minutes they had a promising attack going but only committed 3 players into the box against 5 or 6 defenders. From there on they seemed to play defensively as if they were more worried about conceding another than scoring one. When your tournament is almost over,  if not now then when is a good time to throw everything forward?

For sure you do. Brazil are a lot like Canada, the Dutch, the Aussies, Norway, etc.  Countries with 5-8 real strong footballers and then 2-5 "others".  As opposed to the US, Germany, France, England, etc with 11 strong across the field and down the bench. 

Cristiane was broken and on the bench, Marta was gassed, Formiga was out too (whoever heard of a 41 year-old midfielder, what utterly complete and beautiful madness). They were bringing in kids and their experienced core was watered down even further. I think they were just in disarray.

Marta always struggled for more government and sponsor support for the women soccer in Brazil to little avail.  Perhaps all the great Marta, Cristiane and Formiga will now hang their boots.  I hope they still have some left in them.

The ref in the Spain-US fulfilled the rule, where every favoured team is also favoured in reffing in this WC.

I thought she was terribly biased and struggled hard to come up with those penalties, which were iffy at least. In the last one, the player dives after being touched, however slightly. I found it unfair, and frustrating, since beating the US is tremendously hard to do. 

They continue to chat with the refs, complain, whine, and use their reps and gamesmanship to get an advantage, as they have been doing for years. Seriously: what US player looked really good today?

Spain is happy to have shown they can make the US look mediocre, and attack them, even handle them physically. But I think they have to be disappointed, in the big picture: it was a performance to maybe get to taking them out of the tournament, or at least get into the extra period.

Is anyone watching Japan v Netherlands?  That Japanese goal demonstrates what is missing in Canada's play.  They weren't afraid to run in to the box, find space, use skill to turn on goal, and the passing!  Every time Canada got the ball to the top of the 18 it was to Sinclair with her back to goal, no support, and 3 Swedes making sure she couldn't turn.  I don't know if that was a tactical choice or if that just demonstrates the missing pieces in Canada's attack.  Either way, we can't keep pumping the ball down the wings with poor crosses in to the box.  It's not good enough. 

https://upload.streamja.com/mp4/gv/gvwz.mp4

Edited by Patrick
Now with video!

Wow.  When did the rules change so much?  An arm in a natural position straight down by her side, a ball pounded at close range hit it, and that decides a knock out game in the World Cup?  Japan attacked and attacked and attacked, with skill and creativity, and Holland gets through by pounding a ball in to a crowd?   2 minutes left but I don't see much hope.

Edit: Nope. Another game where the refereeing is front and centre.

Edited by Patrick
Game over

11 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Wow.  When did the rules change so much?  An arm in a natural position straight down by her side, a ball pounded at close range hit it, and that decides a knock out game in the World Cup?  Japan attacked and attacked and attacked, with skill and creativity, and Holland gets through by pounding a ball in to a crowd?   2 minutes left but I don't see much hope.

Edit: Nope. Another game where the refereeing is front and centre.

I hate this shift in the interpretation of handball.  I expect teams will start to deliberately target arms in the box.  It's easier than scoring in open play.

I'm not even sure the referees are interpreting the new law correctly:

The following will not usually be a free kick, unless they are one of the above
situations:
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or
the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near
the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which is close to their body and has not
made their body unnaturally bigger

•if a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their
body and the ground to support the body (but not extended to make the body
bigger)
•If the goalkeeper attempts to ‘clear’ (release into play) a throw-in or deliberate
kick from a team-mate but the ‘clearance’ fails, the goalkeeper can then handle
the ball

New Laws

On 6/24/2019 at 2:59 PM, Lofty said:

Crikey! I post here about once every 4 years, during WWC. Prior to this, I've responded to you exactly twice (this year, and frankly I don't remember any prior exchanges). And it was YOU who engaged ME, and in a rather offensive way. Not very wise if you genuinely find my replies so mentally disturbing!

You may only post here every four years but you carpet-bombed this thread with 61 posts. 

If you were Ernest Hemingway I'd say cool, or if you had great insight into the game. But I think like many people I struggled with whatever came into your head as opposed to well-thought out and expressed analysis.

And btw I said I've replied to you with two sentences from which you've said I have mental health issues. Maybe it's just me but struggling to see a connection from that to how many times you've replied to me.

Just imagine if these federations cared about their women. Look at what happened to the European nations when they decided that they care. 

At the end of the day, only one country can win. I’m actually quite happy with Canada this tournament. I’m frustrated of course, but now that I’ve had 24 hours I really don’t think much needs to change. The players are there, young one are coming through.  Tactically we can improve but a coaching change can achieve that marvellously. 

3 minutes ago, RJB said:

Just imagine if these federations cared about their women. Look at what happened to the European nations when they decided that they care. 

At the end of the day, only one country can win. I’m actually quite happy with Canada this tournament. I’m frustrated of course, but now that I’ve had 24 hours I really don’t think much needs to change. The players are there, young one are coming through.  Tactically we can improve but a coaching change can achieve that marvellously. 

Oh, I think a lot needs to change.

If the majority of our players are not in Europe for 2023, we won't make it out of the group, and may not even qualify.  That is how fast things are evolving, when we are not.

Huh? YOU are the one who said you have mental health issues! See above.

"I have a history of two sentences with you, from which [you've determined] I have mental health issues." I figured your reference to passive aggressive disorder was pretty apparent.

ergo: "And btw I said I've replied to you with two sentences from which you've said I have mental health issues."

You started off with two quite offensive sentences and in spite of banging on about respect you seem to be continuing that theme.

Sentence number two is quite offensive?:

"The women's boards have always been a strong alternative community of people respecting each other and there's never been a need to ignore anyone. Hopefully that doesn't change."

So far as the number of posts I have made on this thread, I'm inclined to take your comment about mental health issues a little more seriously knowing that you went to the trouble to generate that number. 

Again, mental health attacks are pretty low.

Here's another number - 40. The number of people posting in this thread, of which one person has contributed over a quarter of the  comments to.

Honestly, I have respected and appreciated your contributions to this forum in the past and that is the only reason I am now showing restraint in my replies to your ongoing nonsensical and disingenuous (see above) jibes in my direction. I have no idea why you are doing it but now would be a good time to stop.

Ah yes, the innocent victim card again. When there is a pattern perhaps there is more to things.