admin

2019 Women's World Cup

Alex Morgan responds to goal celebration critics.

I'm not trying to re-ignite the debate on here as I think all positions have been clearly stated already, and indeed I will not respond to replies. I just thought it was fair and proper to give "the accused" a rebuttal.

Hey Alex Morgan I do not buy your excuse for your team's classless celebrations.  You obviously do not care.  The only thing I tell you and your teammates is do not do it again.

Anybody know who the announcer is that did the play by play for the Cameroon vs Netherlands game? I've heard him a couple of times and he is just amazing. Just enough information, impartial, pronounces everybody's name right (it seems). Really enjoyable to listen to.

21 hours ago, Lofty said:

I'm not trying to re-ignite the debate on here as I think all positions have been clearly stated already, and indeed I will not respond to replies. I just thought it was fair and proper to give "the accused" a rebuttal.

I watched the US feed of the game.  It started with a pre-game where Heather O'Reilly was arrogant.  (She's toned it down since).  Their non-US announcers raised the issue that perhaps the later goal celebrations were too much.  Their American counterparts were defensive.  I think it's obvious that since almost anyone who is associated with the US Soccer program defended it that this is the culture they create. 

I remember being disappointed seeing Rapinoe flip off the ref in one of the WWC games in Winnipeg.  No surprise she was the most blatant with her celebration.

It's up to the coaches and the refs to set the tone for what is and isn't acceptable. Solo got booted for making unsportsmanlike comments after a game but this is merely joy.  Sure Jill.

I think we're really only complaining about the Rapinoe and Morgan celebrations.  I think Rapinoe has shown she can be a punk.  As for Morgan, I don't really get a player counting out her goals.  It shows the players are very concerned about their individual statistics.  Again, I think this is a culture problem. 

I think those from other countries have a different view.  To them this is an international tournament and it matters how you represent yourself.  For the US, that is not a concern as is evident by Trump.  They are focused on themselves.

They are a great team but I can't admire them.  For me, conducting your self with class has always been important.  I found it very disappointing.

As an aside, the lineup they fielded today is the one they should have had out against Thailand.  The starting 11 could have played today.  I think they may lose to France which would be karma.

13 hours ago, nstarsfan said:

I watched the US feed of the game.  It started with a pre-game where Heather O'Reilly was arrogant.  (She's toned it down since).  Their non-US announcers raised the issue that perhaps the later goal celebrations were too much.  Their American counterparts were defensive.  I think it's obvious that since almost anyone who is associated with the US Soccer program defended it that this is the culture they create. 

Didn't this exact same thing happen in a previous World Cup or Olympics with a different coach? I was thinking it was when Pia Sundhage was the coach, but I didn't find anything with a quick googling.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Didn't this exact same thing happen in a previous World Cup or Olympics with a different coach? I was thinking it was when Pia Sundhage was the coach, but I didn't find anything with a quick googling.

During the 2012 Olympic qualification the US beat someone (Dominican Republic?) like 14-0 and there was a bit of this backlash but it was only really the coach who kept going wild after the first few goals, the players were much more toned down. 

Posted (edited)

Apparently VAR is calling EVERY OFFSIDE now. I had wondered about that because of the seemingly ridiculous delays between a clear offside and the linesman's flag going up. How long of a delay, you ask?

It all became clear during the France/Nigeria half time show on TSN. Diana Matheson called it out and they showed a clip from the simultaneously played Norway/Korea match: ball played forward by Norway at 15:06 to a lone striker who is clearly offside. At 15:09 the lone striker first touches the ball but subsequent shot is saved and play continues. At 15:16 the flag goes up for offside.

That is a TEN SECOND DELAY from the obvious offside and a SEVEN SECOND DELAY from when the ball was touched, for technical confirmation of the offside.

VAR is ruining the game.

Edited by Lofty

Can you jump the shark twice?  Another VAR penalty call, correctly called, followed by a joke of VAR call on the penalty itself.  The calls on keeper moving off the line are simply terrible.  Slow motion looks at high speed plays like that are not, in my opinion, in the spirit of the rules.  Renard missed the goal, after taking a stupid stutter step run up.  The keeper had no influence on that.  Given that the rules also state players must remain outside the box until the ball is kicked, why wasn't the goal called back when the French player entered before the ball was struck?  It may not have affected the play but the rule was still broken.  Rules matter, but so does discretion.  If we are going to call games by the literal rule of the law, but only when it affects scoring, we are going to make the game unwatchable.

So, France get to retake a missed penalty (awarded by VAR) because the Nigerian keeper's left heel was literally an inch or two off the line when the ball was struck. And the keeper is booked! This is turning into parody.

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

So, France get to retake a missed penalty (awarded by VAR) because the Nigerian keeper's left heel was literally an inch or two off the line when the ball was struck. And the keeper is booked! This is turning into parody.

Yeah, I haven't been able to watch nearly as much of this tournament as I would like, but I was surprised to see the keeper booked for that. Was the other keeper booked when she was called for the same thing last Friday? It seems incredibly harsh.

And it does seem ridiculous to hold the keeper to these crazy standards but not the outfield players that are entering the box too early (though I wasn't watching for that, so didn't see with my own eyes that it happened on the penalty today).

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yeah, I haven't been able to watch nearly as much of this tournament as I would like, but I was surprised to see the keeper booked for that. Was the other keeper booked when she was called for the same thing last Friday? It seems incredibly harsh.

And it does seem ridiculous to hold the keeper to these crazy standards but not the outfield players that are entering the box too early (though I wasn't watching for that, so didn't see with my own eyes that it happened on the penalty today).

Yes. Absolutely bonkers.

Posted (edited)

Let us not forget that the VAR is not a cientific machine free of errors.  It is just a bunch of other referees looking at screens who are just as subject to error, misjudgments and biases as any other referees.  To penalize a player for an inch off position is inconsistent when the referees don't penalize for throw-ins that are way off the right spot, free kicks taken not where the infraction occur, same with offsides and the list can go on and on.  To say nothing of wrong calls, missed grabbing and pushing,  shirts not tucked in, talking back to the referee, etc.

Edited by The Ref

5 minutes ago, The Ref said:

shirts not tucked in

Is that still a rule?  I thought with the new fabrics and form fitting jetseys that rule was gone.  Most of the jerseys aren't long enough to tuck in anymore.  It's not like the 80s when jerseys fit like a pair of parachute pants 🙂 

On 6/16/2019 at 6:09 AM, Lofty said:

Like the 9th picture you have posted of US goal celebrations, you are on the wrong board.

On 6/17/2019 at 3:42 AM, nstarsfan said:

I remember being disappointed seeing Rapinoe flip off the ref in one of the WWC games in Winnipeg.  No surprise she was the most blatant with her celebration.

It's up to the coaches and the refs to set the tone for what is and isn't acceptable. Solo got booted for making unsportsmanlike comments after a game but this is merely joy.  Sure Jill.

I think we're really only complaining about the Rapinoe and Morgan celebrations.  I think Rapinoe has shown she can be a punk.  As for Morgan, I don't really get a player counting out her goals.  It shows the players are very concerned about their individual statistics.  Again, I think this is a culture problem. 

I think those from other countries have a different view.  To them this is an international tournament and it matters how you represent yourself.  For the US, that is not a concern as is evident by Trump.  They are focused on themselves.

They are a great team but I can't admire them.  For me, conducting your self with class has always been important.  I found it very disappointing.

As an aside, the lineup they fielded today is the one they should have had out against Thailand.  The starting 11 could have played today.  I think they may lose to France which would be karma.

The US is a virtually all-white team steeped in upper middle class white privilege and it shows. Then Rapinoe has the gall to not sing the anthem, as if she is not living in the absolutely best country for people like her. 

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The US is a virtually all-white team steeped in upper middle class white privilege and it shows. Then Rapinoe has the gall to not sing the anthem, as if she is not living in the absolutely best country for people like her. 

So she's thinking of those who don't have the privileges she has, and is protesting the situation.  I don't see that as having gall.  She's just trying to make things better, even if things are pretty good for her.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, rkomar said:

So she's thinking of those who don't have the privileges she has, and is protesting the situation.  I don't see that as having gall.  She's just trying to make things better, even if things are pretty good for her.

It could be, I am not fully aware of the circumstances. Did not stop her from celebrating like a fool off her meds for a late irrelevant goal vs. Thailand--if that is the attitude, she'd do better to just sing the damn thing and stop being hypocritical about it. 

You are all aware that the US national anthem celebrates killing Canadians, don't you?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

28 minutes ago, rkomar said:

When you listen to USWNT players speak in interviews it's like they have a PR rep feeding them lines about "doing it for the next generation"  or "we all think about the young players, not us", but their actions scream self-centred (insert not nice term) and I think the second face is their real one.  They are the white suburban princesses of blue state America.  They're cookie cutter make-up wearing barbies complaining about pay (some complaints justified, some just delusional), about the turf they play on, and about the patriarchy keeping them down.  They have no self-awareness, no acknowledgement that their pay-to-play success is part of the problem.  They get right upset if anyone suggests that the lack of African American players on the team is due to anything but the current players being the best.  Yeah, Megan Rapinoe might be fighting the good fight but if you have a good hard look at her, her actions celebrating goals, her choices in appearance, and her forms of protest, I can't help but think she is much more interested in Megan Rapinoe than whatever oppressed people she says she is supporting.

And I'll take it "There" - Rapinoe is a lesbian.  How do we know?  Because she tells us, and tells us, and tells us.  She is so utterly wrapped up in herself that she thinks we all want to know all about her, too.  Did you know she's the first lesbian to do an SI swimsuit shoot?  Don't worry, she's got her people telling you that. 

Do you know who else is a lesbian?  Christine Sinclair.  I have followed her career since she was 16 and I didn't know that until recently.  You know why?  Because she's never made it the cornerstone of who she is.  Frankly, I can go down the US roster and tell you personal details on most of them, but I couldn't tell you which Canadian player swings which way and frankly I prefer that low key approach.  I am happy for Christine Sinclair, as far as I knowshe's married, she has a life outside soccer, she deserves that, but I don't need to know the details to appreciate her skills on the field.

Frankly, lesbians in womens sports aren't shocking.  They have been accepted for decades in Western countries.  Being an out lesbian today isn't brave.  When a man comes out in sport, that's brave.  But the patriarchy...

Group C has definitely been the most entertaining group so far. I thought Australia had shot themselves in the foot after that opening loss to Italy, but credit them for fighting back against Brazil and getting the necessary goal difference against Jamaica to move them into second spot. They now have a very winnable match against Norway. Definitely a more favourable draw for them since Brazil will likely be playing France. Italy, meanwhile, top the group and are rewarded with a match against Nigeria or China.

Brazil beat Italy 1-0 on a penalty.

And at the moment the ball is kicked, no fewer than FOUR Brazilian players are flagrantly encroaching into the penalty area, one of them in the middle of her third stride. Absolutely obvious on TV. Yet no intervention from VAR to require a re-take. What an absolute joke.

I wasn't completely sold on the penalty call. It seemed that the Italian player had a pretty good line on the ball and was a bit quicker than the Brazilian and then the Brazilian seemed to turn into the Italian and managed to crash into her shoulder with the predictable result of going down and making a meal of it. Pretty much how you would expect that team to get the foul call in the box. Not looking for an argument here but I was not 100% convinced by how that went down.

6 minutes ago, Sport Shaman said:

I wasn't completely sold on the penalty call. It seemed that the Italian player had a pretty good line on the ball and was a bit quicker than the Brazilian and then the Brazilian seemed to turn into the Italian and managed to crash into her shoulder with the predictable result of going down and making a meal of it. Pretty much how you would expect that team to get the foul call in the box. Not looking for an argument here but I was not 100% convinced by how that went down.

My thoughts exactly. Having watched it in slo mo about 5 times I could just about see why the ref called it but it looked as though the Italian defender got good position between the Brazilian and the ball and the Brazilian definitely then did a good twist and fall. I guess the other case is that it was a body check from the side but I think gaining position is important.

Luckily it did not change anything in the final Group C placings.

Interesting point. A draw would have still put Italy in first place and Brazil in third but had it mattered more in the group standings it would have been a bitter pill to swallow for Italy and maybe also Australia, considering that they tied Brazil on +/- and only finished second because they scored one more goal against Jamaica than Brazil did.