2019 Women's World Cup

Admin

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

We had some good moments today but there was a lot of sloppy play and way too many hopeful long balls that didn’t really have much chance of finding a target. I guess a 2-1 loss against Netherlands is respectable, but I was not impressed with the team today.   On the bright side, Sinclair got one goal closer to the record. 

I think we reached our Peter Principle.  Next probably will be Sweden and that will be another very tough game.

Edited by The Ref

18 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

We had some good moments today but there was a lot of sloppy play and way too many hopeful long balls that didn’t really have much chance of finding a target. I guess a 2-1 loss against Netherlands is respectable, but I was not impressed with the team today.   On the bright side, Sinclair got one goal closer to the record.  

The European teams are getting better, fast.  We have to find a way to get our prospects playing in the European leagues.  The NWSL is simply not a good enough league to develop our young talent.  That league doesn't have the budget, support, or facilities to match European clubs.  Huitema choosing to pass on the NCAA is, strangely, a good sign.  If our players are good enough to play in Europe and the pay is enough to justify delaying an education then that's where we should be sending them.

It looked to me like we were over-excited in the game.  Passes to where you hoped your teammate would be rather than where they can be.  That's just an attitude problem.  We were fine in terms of skill and fitness, we just need to address the mental side of things.  I think we can be a lot better than we showed in that game.  Hopefully they will use this experience to be more cold-blooded in the next game.

13 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Why? Because it is experimental. The English Premier League will learn from the mistakes made here. And if VAR survives, it will be used differently -- and in a better way -- at the next WWC.

FIFA has done lots of experimental things at the Men's World Cup too. That is where yellow and red cards were first used.

We're not going to agree.  Me, I think the WWC is for the players, not the game officials.   I think the WWC should not be used as a test bed for new rules or new interpretations.  That should be left for less important tournaments or for lower leagues, not the penultimate women's competition.  If it goes wrong, as it obviously has with the PK VAR reviews, it hurts teams.  Can you imagine if this was tried at the Men's World Cup?   You are entitled to your opinion, of course.

5 hours ago, Patrick said:

not the penultimate women's competition.  If it goes wrong, as it obviously has with the PK VAR reviews, it hurts teams.  Can you imagine if this was tried at the Men's World Cup?  

1.  Then which competition is the ultimate women’s competition?

2.  This is not a “they wouldn’t do this to men” moment. You’re grasping at straws here. 

5 hours ago, Lofty said:

Well, at least we agree that we are not going to agree! Wait a moment... 😂

I actually agree with you about the use of VAR in the biggest Women's tournament while VAR is still relatively new. This is not the place to iron out the kinks. And there are a lot of kinks right now.

But is this any different that the men’s tournament?  I agree there are kinks, but at Russia 2018 it was bad too. And in the various test leagues.  I think this is a problem, but I don’t think this is a case of women being unfairly treated.

Edited by RJB

1 hour ago, The Ref said:

The VAR must go.  Referees are now slacking off since they can fall back on TV screens.  Cameras are not operated by referees, the VAR refs interpret images and are prone to errors like anyone else.

I agree with this. Referees don’t make calls knowing that VAR can bail them out. I just don’t want to hear that this is a WWC issue. It’s a footballing issue across the men’s and women’s game. 

41 minutes ago, RJB said:

I just don’t want to hear that this is a WWC issue. It’s a footballing issue across the men’s and women’s game. 

Is there a rule that says only men can officiate at a World Cup?  Do you really believe FIFA would have allowed VAR to call penalties as a surprise new rule like they have here?  It wasn't that long ago that Sepp Blatter was calling for women to wear skirts or shorter shorts, so if you can't fathom FIFA treating the WWC as something less then I won't be able to convince you otherwise.

8 hours ago, RJB said:

1.  Then which competition is the ultimate women’s competition?

2.  This is not a “they wouldn’t do this to men” moment. You’re grasping at straws here. 

Right, the new rules are being tested in various competitions. In the CPL. At the world u-20 tournament. Here. 

The vast majority of the new rules makes sense and are an improvement. 

Temporary dispensation: no cautions for goalkeeper encroachment during Kicks from the Penalty Mark

The IFAB Board of Directors today approved a request from FIFA for a temporary dispensation relating to Kicks from the Penalty Mark (KFPM) in Law 10 – Determining the Outcome of a Match at the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019.

The Law currently states that “if the goalkeeper commits an offence and, as a result, the kick is retaken, the goalkeeper must be cautioned”. The purpose of the caution (yellow card) is to act as a deterrent to the goalkeeper to not infringe the Laws of the Game, in particular by not encroaching from the goal line before the kick is taken. However, in matches where Video Assistant Referees (VARs) are being used, the presence of the VARs acts as an even greater deterrent to goalkeepers as they know that any encroachment will be detected by the VARs if it is not detected by the on-field match officials.

4 hours ago, rkomar said:

They are putting a moratorium on the automatic yellow card on each offence, but I'm sure the ref can hand out the card later for repeat offences.

As Lofty said, lord help us if any of the matches go to penalties.  Even if it's not an automatic caution, the 'keeper will still get one after shot #3 for persistent breach, and then red card after #4.  Either that or the 'keepers don't move and we have a three hours shootout that ends only when one of the player's legs falls off from over use. 

21 minutes ago, Patrick said:

As Lofty said, lord help us if any of the matches go to penalties.  Even if it's not an automatic caution, the 'keeper will still get one after shot #3 for persistent breach, and then red card after #4.  Either that or the 'keepers don't move and we have a three hours shootout that ends only when one of the player's legs falls off from over use. 

These long processes of VARing everything will create havoc on TV stations' schedules.  They might as well flip a coin to determine the winner of the game.

19 hours ago, Patrick said:

@Lofty is always schiiting out of the bowl, as they say in Spanish. And you are giving him directions.

The first round of penalties between Australia and Norway went perfectly, and was the great end to an amazing game. No keeper had big problems to move, there was a stop even, and one dive for a save that was close-ish. 

Tired of the bull-shhhit that goes on here on rules and such, and then, when facts prove you wrong, you just disappear and cower somewhere in the dark. 

On 6/22/2019 at 12:02 AM, Lofty said:

I'm just dying to see how long a penalty shoot out is going to take with every missed penalty being retaken until it is scored! Never mind the time it will take to review each one that is saved!

It's a good thing they are putting a moratorium on the yellow card or both keepers would be getting sent off. We are going to reach the point where the keeper just stands there in the hope the player shoots right at her or misses the goal. It might take a while before we get a miss. Pack a lunch!

Wrong again. Suck it up buddy. 

23 hours ago, The Ref said:

The IFAB backtracks their stupid ruling of yellow card.  However that will not reduce all the VAR checking and double checking and whatnot on definitions by PKs.  We've gone from ridiculous to asinine.

Also wrong. 

The board does not need this garden-variety Nostradamus predicting that when proven totally false by the facts, just hides and does not admit it was WRONG.

Having dispensed with the stupid posts on the rules, proven wrong by the first round of penalties, and which only ask refs to apply something in the books historically, and on top of that regularly been enforced in previous years, decades and centuries------ let's get to the games. 

Germany-Nigeria. Considering the latter were immature and wasteful, and did not play their best player who seems to be hurt, that was not that dominant from Germany. You can see with their athleticism, if Nigeria can learn to be more responsible in their passing and not squander attacks, they will be dangerous.

Australia-Norway. An absolute classic, incredibly balanced, with over 20 shots each team, quality all over the pitch for either side, and a late draw for Australia that IMO was deserved, however weird the goal. The late red to Australia, also correctly called. Two teams that really went at it, and showed top quality conditioning all around, with players working incredibly hard even at m. 120. 

I do not think we have ever seen such quality and closeness at round of 16 ever in women's football, the overall level has leaped amazingly and as we sit, I would not be surprised by any result except, maybe, in England-Cameroon.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Having dispensed with the stupid posts on the rules, proven wrong by the first round of penalties, and which only ask refs to apply something in the books historically, and on top of that regularly been enforced in previous years, decades and centuries------ let's get to the games.

Do you think people actually read your stuff or do you just accept that most people have put you on their ignore list?

3 hours ago, Patrick said:

Do you think people actually read your stuff or do you just accept that most people have put you on their ignore list?

For some reason my old account didn't migrate, but from a brief scan that's not unique.

I've been involved in female soccer for four decades, helped keep the women's boards at the V's going through many lean years, been to WCs, Euros, Olympics, seen hundreds of pro women's club games all over the world. I have good context in the women's game.

Feel free to ignore but you're missing out -  I am very discerning and IMHO he's clearly the best writer on Vs and the only guy I'd actually pay to read.

Edited by _Vic_

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

His voluminous posts are rarely worth reading and he is always trying to pick fights, with me in particular for some strange reason. But I have him on mute so I never see the bait -- unless someone quotes him! 😉

His implication that VAR and the rules were not a major talking point of the tournament thus far are a good example of the nonsense you are likely to see from him.

(Standing by for a big "U" in the "last reply" column, which I will ignore as usual. 😁)

I've really struggled with your posts from volume, content and accuracy perspectives. Please think more and post less.

Been super busy with life and work and lurking. But have noticed some really strange comments and observations. Like player X is great or played great when player X turned the ball over 50-60% of the time she touched it. Or the refereeing is great, good Lord they've assigned referees from places like Rwanda, Uruguay, Ethiopia, Zambia, Honduras... where women's soccer is so hopelessly amateur and so far from UEFA international standard it's actually comedic. Politically correct but talk about setup to fail.

25 minutes ago, _Vic_ said:

I've really struggled with your posts from volume, content and accuracy perspectives. Please think more and post less.

27 minutes ago, _Vic_ said:

For some reason my old account didn't migrate, but from a brief scan that's not unique.

I've been involved in female soccer for four decades, helped keep the women's boards at the V's going through many lean years, been to WCs, Euros, Olympics, seen hundreds of pro women's club games all over the world. I have good context in the women's game.

Feel free to ignore but you're missing out -  I am very discerning and IMHO he's clearly the best writer on Vs and the only guy I'd actually pay to read.

Sock puppets are kinda sad...