admin

2019 Women's World Cup

I am glad others found it embarrassing and disgusting. Players, the bench, fans--really pathetic from all of them. 

In basketball you do not slam dunk, hang on the rim and get in the face of opponents when you are up 25 late. Or even when there is a minute left and you are up 15. In NFL they banned ostentatious celebration. In baseball your bat flips are considered out of line, even though the homer is in a critical playoff match. I actually am in favour of celebrating, but like that, it was, for me, a sign of mental illness from the team, and the fans too.

What kind of fans celebrate wildly in those circumstances? Fans who are screwed in the head.

It's interesting that almost all of the supporting comments out there for the US goal celebrations concerns defending them running up the score. I don't have an issue with scoring. It would have been far more disrespectful had the US just booted the ball down the field and stayed in their own end. Go score goals in the group stage. But, celebrating later goals as if they were Cup winning goals is disrespectful and classless. This could have been another team doing this, but it wasn't, it was the US. It shows why we have the word stereotype, in this case the "ugly American." The vast majority of Americans don't deserve this label, but the US women's team does. I hope they realize their errors and be contrite. They deserve support for their abilities but apart from the massive number of Americans buying tickets for this World Cup they won't be getting any from the neutrals.

Edited by RickC

9 hours ago, Lofty said:

Well, Thailand are ranked #34 in the World, 12 places above Cameroon whom Canada squeaked by 1-0. The match also goes into the WWC record books on a number of counts. It is not easy to win 13-0 in a World Cup Finals match! I've watched a lot of football and I don't ever recall seeing a team swarmed over like that.

It will be interesting to see how Sweden and Chile fare against Thailand. Anybody want to bet that neither of them even get to double digits? Thought not. 😁

A team stands a much better chance of doing so if their opponents no longer have the physical fitness to even attempt to pass the ball to each other and are just kicking the ball down the field to get it as far away from their goal as possible, which is what Thailand were doing for the last 15 minutes because they were that exhausted. It reminded me of the rugby match in Monty Python's Meaning of Life when the college age kids destroyed the boys team with very similar OTT victory celebrations on the sidelines. Only that was meant to be a joke and a parody whereas this was the real thing.

I find it interesting that there are quite a few commenters on social media, who are not as well informed as my fellow Vs, that make their point that this is, after all,  Thailand's first World Cup.

This is NOT Thailand's first World Cup. They qualified for WWC 2015 in Canada of all places. They lost to Norway 4-0, beat Ivory Coast 3-2 both in Ottawa and then lost to Germany 4-0 in Winnipeg. In the same group Germany beat Ivory Coast 10-0 and I am pretty sure that team did not go over the top with goal celebrations. 

5 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

A team stands a much better chance of doing so if their opponents no longer have the physical fitness to even attempt to pass the ball to each other and are just kicking the ball down the field to get it as far away from their goal as possible, which is what Thailand were doing for the last 15 minutes because they were that exhausted. It reminded me of the rugby match in Monty Python's Meaning of Life when the college age kids destroyed the boys team with very similar OTT victory celebrations on the sidelines. Only that was meant to be a joke and a parody whereas this was the real thing.

In the first place, there is no excuse for not being fit enough to play the full 90 mins. The US were clearly fit enough. Of course if you have been run ragged by a team playing excellent football then perhaps that team deserves the credit for your inability to keep up. Honestly, I find this point bizarre.

In the second place, this is the first time in WWC history that a team has scored 13 goals so it can't be that easy!

I find some of the rationale defending the celebrations at 9-0 etc very strange and kinda troubling. Beyond the poor sportsmanship it all seemed very unnatural and just kinda lame. Even running over to embrace Thailand kinda felt like an effort to turn their disappointment in to an opportunity to make that even about the USWNT. I think it speaks to the energy now that if people feel something represents them in some way its beyond criticism or honest evaluation.

I was so proud of our ladies speaking their minds

Edited by SpursFlu

3 minutes ago, Lofty said:

In the first place, there is no excuse for not being fit enough to play the full 90 mins. The US were clearly fit enough. Of course if you have been run ragged by a team playing excellent football then perhaps that team deserves the credit for your inability to keep up. Honestly, I find this point bizarre.

In the second place, this is the first time in WWC history that a team has scored 13 goals so it can't be that easy!

Are you serious? You see it all the time, if the pace and tempo of the game is high enough players gas out.  If the opponent makes you chase them for 90min etc. 

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Are you serious? You see it all the time, if the pace and tempo of the game is high enough players gas out.  If the opponent makes you chase them for 90min etc. 

Exactly! If Thailand "gassed out" that is simply credit to how well the US played. I'm sure their players were physically prepared, which makes it bizarre to claim the US performance was somehow tainted, or the opposition was not up to par because they "gassed out". They faded because the US ran them ragged; and the fact the US were able to accomplish that is part of and credit to a record setting WWC performance.

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am glad others found it embarrassing and disgusting. Players, the bench, fans--really pathetic from all of them. 

In basketball you do not slam dunk, hang on the rim and get in the face of opponents when you are up 25 late. Or even when there is a minute left and you are up 15. In NFL they banned ostentatious celebration. In baseball your bat flips are considered out of line, even though the homer is in a critical playoff match. I actually am in favour of celebrating, but like that, it was, for me, a sign of mental illness from the team, and the fans too.

What kind of fans celebrate wildly in those circumstances? Fans who are screwed in the head.

Apparently also the same kind of fans who issue death threats against Canadian commentators who call out the lack of class from the Americans players:

https://www.tsn.ca/former-canadian-player-kaylyn-kyle-gets-death-threats-for-u-s-goal-celebration-criticism-on-tsn-1.1320944

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

Nobody is looking to provide Thailand with excuses though - what is being pointed out is that the fact that the team does not comprise professional athletes (which isn't all that unheard of with women's national team soccer given the paucity of professional leagues) makes the "achievement" of running up the score against such a team not such a brilliant accomplishment. That there were just 3 goals in the first half and 10 in the 2nd half should tell us all something. When the  US score 13 against Germany, Canada,  England, France or Brazil with 6 or 7 scored by half time due to pure American superiority of talent then perhaps I might marvel about how brilliant an accomplishment that is. Likewise I don't recall fawning over the German girls in such a manner when they beat Ivory Coast 10-0 in the previous World Cup.

Edited by Gian-Luca

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Exactly! If Thailand "gassed out" that is simply credit to how well the US played. I'm sure their players were physically prepared, which makes it bizarre to claim the US performance was somehow tainted, or the opposition was not up to par because they "gassed out". They faded because the US ran them ragged; and the fact the US were able to accomplish that is part of and credit to a record setting WWC performance.

I stand corrected if I am wrong, but I believe what the U.S. players do is play the game all the time and do not have other obligations, besides from receiving a salary for playing.  Most other countries the players need to hold a job to earn a living and cannot be running around doing fitness.  So I don't find the U.S. thrashing something for them to be proud couple with exaggerated celebrations.  My hat goes to Thailand that keep playing to the very end with their heads up.

There used to be a FIFA rule against excessive goal celebrations.  What happened to it?  It surely applies to the U.S. here and theoretically there would have been 13 yellow cards and players with more than 1 goal would have been ejected for double yellows.

5 hours ago, The Ref said:

I stand corrected if I am wrong, but I believe what the U.S. players do is play the game all the time and do not have other obligations, besides from receiving a salary for playing.  Most other countries the players need to hold a job to earn a living and cannot be running around doing fitness.  So I don't find the U.S. thrashing something for them to be proud couple with exaggerated celebrations.  My hat goes to Thailand that keep playing to the very end with their heads up.

Every team at this WWC is fully prepared physically. To suggest otherwise is extremely disingenuous. You can work full time and still be in wicked shape. Ask any cross-fitter.

Even if what you say were true, it would also be true at all previous WWCs and nobody managed to win 13-0 in any if those. 

Edited by Lofty

This game was being played at the same time as US-Thailand.  Not a major tournament mind you, but it is qualification for a major tournament where goal differential matters.

This is how you run up the score and still win with class.

39 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I'm finally over the pettiness of all this whingeing about the USA goal celebrations. If you don't want teams celebrating goals, DEFEND BETTER!!!

usa_morgan-rapino.jpg

No, I think this actually matters. 

The unspoken rules may be the most important in sport in what gives sports value in general.

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

Every team at this WWC is fully prepared physically. To suggest otherwise is extremely disingenuous. You can work full time and still be in wicked shape. Ask any cross-fitter.

Even if what you say were true, it would also be true at all previous WWCs and nobody managed to win 13-0 in any if those. 

Wasn't this WWC the first with 24 teams.  Adding 8 teams may result in some weak ones.  It may be more competitive on the next WWC.

Here’s my comedic take on it (see video below). Purely satire but in another sense this is just American culture on display. They don’t shy from showing their dominance and they do this in all they do: business, war, diplomacy. 

I just watched Trevor Noah after finishing my video and the lady reporter did a piece on the game  saying we are “America F*#k Yeah not America We Are Sorry”. Maybe for Americans being humble and showing humility in victory is weakness. On the sports side of things I think it was not a wise move to exert so much energy on running the score. As we all know in sports there’s such a thing as running the well dry. How many times have you seen a team score tons of goals and come up dry when it counts? The WC is not a sprint but a marathon.

Edited by Moldy9