2019 Women's World Cup

Admin

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Exactly! If Thailand "gassed out" that is simply credit to how well the US played. I'm sure their players were physically prepared, which makes it bizarre to claim the US performance was somehow tainted, or the opposition was not up to par because they "gassed out". They faded because the US ran them ragged; and the fact the US were able to accomplish that is part of and credit to a record setting WWC performance.

I stand corrected if I am wrong, but I believe what the U.S. players do is play the game all the time and do not have other obligations, besides from receiving a salary for playing.  Most other countries the players need to hold a job to earn a living and cannot be running around doing fitness.  So I don't find the U.S. thrashing something for them to be proud couple with exaggerated celebrations.  My hat goes to Thailand that keep playing to the very end with their heads up.

There used to be a FIFA rule against excessive goal celebrations.  What happened to it?  It surely applies to the U.S. here and theoretically there would have been 13 yellow cards and players with more than 1 goal would have been ejected for double yellows.

This game was being played at the same time as US-Thailand.  Not a major tournament mind you, but it is qualification for a major tournament where goal differential matters.

This is how you run up the score and still win with class.

39 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I'm finally over the pettiness of all this whingeing about the USA goal celebrations. If you don't want teams celebrating goals, DEFEND BETTER!!!

usa_morgan-rapino.jpg

No, I think this actually matters. 

The unspoken rules may be the most important in sport in what gives sports value in general.

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

Every team at this WWC is fully prepared physically. To suggest otherwise is extremely disingenuous. You can work full time and still be in wicked shape. Ask any cross-fitter.

Even if what you say were true, it would also be true at all previous WWCs and nobody managed to win 13-0 in any if those. 

Wasn't this WWC the first with 24 teams.  Adding 8 teams may result in some weak ones.  It may be more competitive on the next WWC.

Here’s my comedic take on it (see video below). Purely satire but in another sense this is just American culture on display. They don’t shy from showing their dominance and they do this in all they do: business, war, diplomacy. 

I just watched Trevor Noah after finishing my video and the lady reporter did a piece on the game  saying we are “America F*#k Yeah not America We Are Sorry”. Maybe for Americans being humble and showing humility in victory is weakness. On the sports side of things I think it was not a wise move to exert so much energy on running the score. As we all know in sports there’s such a thing as running the well dry. How many times have you seen a team score tons of goals and come up dry when it counts? The WC is not a sprint but a marathon.

Edited by Moldy9

5 hours ago, Lofty said:

I'm finally over the pettiness of all this whingeing about the USA goal celebrations. If you don't want teams celebrating goals, DEFEND BETTER!!!

usa_morgan-rapino.jpg

You're an idiot, but we already knew that. You don't even know the difference between scoring and celebrating. And you prove you have never played sports, or at least never won big at anything, you are so armchair and it shows.

If you ever get a chance to coach, though I doubt they'd let you get near children, you will perhaps learn that when your team is way superior, it is the time to teach them other things, including: try scoring in a different way; give other players a runout; be respectful to the other side; be ready to have your leg or face broken if you get in the rival's face.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

15 hours ago, Lofty said:

usa_morgan-rapino.jpg

And if you don't want people to criticize your goal celebrations, BE CLASSIER!!!

28 minutes ago, Lofty said:

The irony here is that Thailand are not the ones who are crying!

Anyway, I do agree that the USA goal celebrations were OTT but at the same time I can appreciate the joy those players must have felt at being part of a record breaking WWC performance. And I think it is very "tabloid press" to focus on the former rather than the latter.

lol they were so joyous they acted like dicks

Nobody cares.

VAR is slowing down the game, but I wouldn't say it is ruining it.  I don't mind waiting if the ones committing sneaky fouls get caught on camera.

I was in agreement with the panel in thinking they got Australia's third goal wrong, even with VAR.  But the vast majority of the judgements using VAR look like they are more accurate.

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Changing topic, VAR is ruining the game.

That is all.

I didn't see the games today, and don't know what call(s) triggered this topic, but I 100% agree. I don't think video review has increased my enjoyment of any sport, with the exception of line calls in Tennis. Black or white calls work (goal line technology in soccer is also fine/good), but changing a subjective call with video review just changes who was pissed off.

28 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Offside is also judged by whether the player in an offside position was "gaining an advantage" by being in that position, which in recent years has been interpreted to mean "touched the ball". Hence the decision to award the goal was correct.

Personally, I do not agree with that fairly recent interpretation (offside player must touch the ball) because there are many ways to gain an advantage without touching the ball and this was very probably one of them. But you must have consistency.

With regards to the offside law, 'gaining an advantage' is only applicable where a shot comes back off the goal posts or from a deliberate save by a defender (including the goalkeeper).

I didn't see the penalty call. I did see the retake call though and didn't even realize that was a thing that was reviewable. Technically she was off the line when the kick was taken, but I have NEVER seen it called that strictly, with the possible exception being that clip where a penalty had to be retaken like 9 times.

21 minutes ago, narduch said:

Feels like this event is the guinea pig for wider is of VAR. 

FIFA will probably decide not to use it for 2022 in Qatar

I agree, I think FIFA is deliberately testing the envelope to see how far they can go.  I'm already on the record opposing the use of only female match officials, I think the women deserve the best officials regardless of wedding tackle, and now we're seeing the result of inferior referees coupled with overzealous VAR reviews.  It's not a good combination.

Without wanting to get into the odd dick-measuring exercise that this thread seems to have devolved into, I will say that the modern interpretation of the offside rule has always been problematic to me under certain circumstances.  If a player is deemed inactive (ie. Acceptably offside) because s/he didn't touch the ball, that decision doesn't seem to factor in the impact they can have on the defending players and keeper who likely can't be certain whether or not they are offside (and that this is recognized correctly by officials) and thus whether or not play will be blown down in they receive the ball.  To me, that always seems like it puts the defending team at a disadvantage since they have to account for both onside and offside players and act as if anyone except those who are in a blatantly obvious offside position are still possible recipients of the ball.  That dividing of defensive attention has always seemed to me like it has to impact the play whether the offside player ends up being "actively involved" in the eventual final pass/shot or not - just insofar as it impacts the defending players' efforts. 

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

To me, that always seems like it puts the defending team at a disadvantage since they have to account for both onside and offside players

I get that, I do, but I think the interpretation of the rule encourages more offence and goal scoring, something soccer desperately needs, and also disincentivizes a team playing an off-side trap game.  If the rule interpretation is that interference requires a touch of the ball and everyone understands that then I am OK with a player in an off-side position affecting the play.

7 minutes ago, Patrick said:

I get that, I do, but I think the interpretation of the rule encourages more offence and goal scoring, something soccer desperately needs, and also disincentivizes a team playing an off-side trap game.  If the rule interpretation is that interference requires a touch of the ball and everyone understands that then I am OK with a player in an off-side position affecting the play.

Agree to disagree I guess.  To me, putting keepers and defenders at (what to me seems an unfair) disadvantage is not the way to increase goal scoring.   If a keeper has to cheat to one side a bit to account for an offside player and gets beat as a result, that isn't a rule interpretation  I can get behind.