admin

2019 Women's World Cup

11 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Unacceptable goal celebration on the US's 9th goal against Thailand IMO. I understand with goal differential the running up the score but celebrating like you've just won the World Cup when you score to take a 9-0 lead is  just unbecoming.

13 goals and they still continue to celebrate like they've won the World Cup.

All four women on the TSN panel are really ripping the entire US team & their coaching staff apart for their celebrations, starting from that 9th goal onwards.

Edited by Gian-Luca

US absolutely rampant. I love the way they get players forward. On one goal (I've forgotten which number! but Morgan shinned it home from close range) I counted 5 US players in theThai 6 yard box. And it's not as though they only do it against weak teams. Canada could learn from that.

Thailand are going to be suffering from PTSD after this.

Edited by Lofty

Love 'em or hate 'em, that performance by the US was one of the all time greatest in Women's World Cup history.

How bad are Thailand? Well, they are ranked #34 in the world while Cameroon are ranked #46. Just sayin'.

9 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Love 'em or hate 'em, that performance by the US was one of the all time greatest in Women's World Cup history.

How bad are Thailand? Well, they are ranked #34 in the world while Cameroon are ranked #46. Just sayin'.

I will go with the hate 'em.  Not that I don't think they are a quality outfit and you can't hate a side if they are no good.  I just don't like the way they carry themselves plus they are our biggest rivals. 

14 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I will go with the hate 'em.  Not that I don't think they are a quality outfit and you can't hate a side if they are no good.  I just don't like the way they carry themselves plus they are our biggest rivals. 

For me, they are like Manchester Fooking United: I hate them but I can't help but admire them at the same time. There is nothing I like better than Canada beating the US at anything. And one match does not win the World Cup.

Yes, their arrogance and jingoism is annoying.

No idea who Jon Keen is but here's the TSN panel:

https://www.tsn.ca/fifa-women-s-world-cup/video/rustad-this-was-disgraceful-from-usa-celebrating-like-that-is-unnecessary~1704594

In this clip the TSN panel are far more reserved in their criticism than they were in the immediate post-game aftermath

Edited by Gian-Luca

Let's get some perspective here. The story of that match is a brilliant USA performance, not some over zealous goal celebrations for their last 5 goals.

New WWC record for most goals scored in one match and biggest margin of victory.

5 goals for Alex Morgan, tying a WWC record. Just give her the Golden Boot now.

Fifth consecutive WWC match with a goal for Carly Lloyd, one of the greatest woman players ever. The previous one was a Cup Final hat trick, including one from the half way line.

I'm no USA fan, but credit where it is due.

Edited by Lofty

The story of the match is not a brilliant USA performance. This was going to be comb out. Only question was how much. I pegged a 9-0 win.

Germany beating Brazil 7-0 was a brilliant performance and they didn't celebrate after the 1st half.

Based on the reaction on the interwebs, this match will be remembered for their less than classy celebrations.

Previous analyst performances by Kayle have been less than stellar. But she has really done her homework this time and her delivery has improved markedly. Whole studio panel has been good and really refreshing compared to men's WC TSN panels.

Edited by red card

2 minutes ago, red card said:

The story of the match is not a brilliant USA performance. This was going to be comb out. Only question was how much. I pegged a 9-0 win.

Germany beating Brazil 7-0 was a brilliant performance and they didn't celebrate after the 1st half.

Based on the reaction on the interwebs, this match will be remembered for their less than classy celebrations.

Previous analyst performances by Kayle have been less than stellar. But she has really done her homework this time and her delivery has improved markedly. Whole studio panel has been good and really refreshing compared to men's WC TSN panels.

Agreed. Not missing Noel Butler sounding like he has a bag of marbles in his mouth while muttering banalities through his snaggle teeth  

Just rewatched the highlights of Norway 12 - Honduras 0 from the U20 world cup and can confirm it is possible to run up the score for goal difference purposes without over-the-top celebrations. 

Tough to call that a brilliant performance by the US when it was obvious that Thailand's players physically were drained in the second half and couldn't physically compete. I'm not sure how many of them are even athletes. They could barely put together two passes even when they were fit in the first half, not because they were swamped by constant US pressure but they just had horrible passing skills. It suggests that there is still a lack of parity in the women's game or that Asia still has too many spots, even with Australia stealing one of them each time.

The fact that US national team pundits are criticizing their own players speaks volumes. This game will be remembered for both impressive scoring accomplishments but also for classless behaviour, and you didn't need to have the latter.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Tough to call that a brilliant performance by the US when it was obvious that Thailand's players physically were drained in the second half and couldn't physically compete. I'm not sure how many of them are even athletes. They could barely put together two passes even when they were fit in the first half, not because they were swamped by constant US pressure but they just had horrible passing skills. It suggests that there is still a lack of parity in the women's game or that Asia still has too many spots, even with Australia stealing one of them each time.

The fact that US national team pundits are criticizing their own players speaks volumes. This game will be remembered for both impressive scoring accomplishments but also for classless behaviour, and you didn't need to have the latter.

Well, Thailand are ranked #34 in the World, 12 places above Cameroon whom Canada squeaked by 1-0. The match also goes into the WWC record books on a number of counts. It is not easy to win 13-0 in a World Cup Finals match! I've watched a lot of football and I don't ever recall seeing a team swarmed over like that.

It will be interesting to see how Sweden and Chile fare against Thailand. Anybody want to bet that neither of them even get to double digits? Thought not. 😁

Edited by Lofty

53 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Well, Thailand are ranked #34 in the World, 12 places above Cameroon whom Canada squeaked by 1-0. The match also goes into the WWC record books on a number of counts. It is not easy to win 13-0 in a World Cup Finals match! I've watched a lot of football and I don't ever recall seeing a team swarmed over like that.

It will be interesting to see how Sweden and Chile fare against Thailand. Anybody want to bet that neither of them even get to double digits? Thought not. 😁

Germany Saudi game in 2002??  I think Klose got a hat trick and did the sproket dance in front of the saudi royal family.  

24 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Germany Saudi game in 2002??  I think Klose got a hat trick and did the sproket dance in front of the saudi royal family.  

I didn't see that game! 😆. But assuming that men's performance was equally impressive, the fact you went back 17 years and into the men's game to come up with something is very telling!

Actually, sticking to the Women's game, the most impressive performance I have seen (by far) was USA 5 Japan 2. The best defensive team in the tournament, absolutely shellacked in the final: 2 down in 5 mins, 4 goals in the first half hour, Carly Lloyd scores the second ever World Cup Final hat trick (Geoff Hurst, 1966) and the coup de grace applied from the half way line. WTF! You could not make it up. Absolutely incredible. All goal celebrations fully justified!

Edited by Lofty

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

You're wading into dangerous waters here. But you've watched a lot of football and quite rightly take the holy FIFA rankings as gospel. I am not taking that bet as I assume the Swedes have a touch of class.

8 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

You're wading into dangerous waters here. But you've watched a lot of football and quite rightly take the holy FIFA rankings as gospel. I am not taking that bet as I assume the Swedes have a touch of class.

I'm not taking anything as gospel. But those are definitely the rankings:

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/women/

Is it showing class to not try to get the better goal difference to claim first place if you happen to tie with the US? If the Swedes don't score 13 goals against Thailand it will not be for lack of trying -- which you well know.

Some very nice straw man arguments there, by the way!

Edited by Lofty