2019 Women's World Cup

Admin

11 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Unacceptable goal celebration on the US's 9th goal against Thailand IMO. I understand with goal differential the running up the score but celebrating like you've just won the World Cup when you score to take a 9-0 lead is  just unbecoming.

13 goals and they still continue to celebrate like they've won the World Cup.

9 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Love 'em or hate 'em, that performance by the US was one of the all time greatest in Women's World Cup history.

How bad are Thailand? Well, they are ranked #34 in the world while Cameroon are ranked #46. Just sayin'.

I will go with the hate 'em.  Not that I don't think they are a quality outfit and you can't hate a side if they are no good.  I just don't like the way they carry themselves plus they are our biggest rivals. 

The story of the match is not a brilliant USA performance. This was going to be comb out. Only question was how much. I pegged a 9-0 win.

Germany beating Brazil 7-0 was a brilliant performance and they didn't celebrate after the 1st half.

Based on the reaction on the interwebs, this match will be remembered for their less than classy celebrations.

Previous analyst performances by Kayle have been less than stellar. But she has really done her homework this time and her delivery has improved markedly. Whole studio panel has been good and really refreshing compared to men's WC TSN panels.

Edited by red card

2 minutes ago, red card said:

The story of the match is not a brilliant USA performance. This was going to be comb out. Only question was how much. I pegged a 9-0 win.

Germany beating Brazil 7-0 was a brilliant performance and they didn't celebrate after the 1st half.

Based on the reaction on the interwebs, this match will be remembered for their less than classy celebrations.

Previous analyst performances by Kayle have been less than stellar. But she has really done her homework this time and her delivery has improved markedly. Whole studio panel has been good and really refreshing compared to men's WC TSN panels.

Agreed. Not missing Noel Butler sounding like he has a bag of marbles in his mouth while muttering banalities through his snaggle teeth  

Just rewatched the highlights of Norway 12 - Honduras 0 from the U20 world cup and can confirm it is possible to run up the score for goal difference purposes without over-the-top celebrations. 

Tough to call that a brilliant performance by the US when it was obvious that Thailand's players physically were drained in the second half and couldn't physically compete. I'm not sure how many of them are even athletes. They could barely put together two passes even when they were fit in the first half, not because they were swamped by constant US pressure but they just had horrible passing skills. It suggests that there is still a lack of parity in the women's game or that Asia still has too many spots, even with Australia stealing one of them each time.

The fact that US national team pundits are criticizing their own players speaks volumes. This game will be remembered for both impressive scoring accomplishments but also for classless behaviour, and you didn't need to have the latter.

53 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Well, Thailand are ranked #34 in the World, 12 places above Cameroon whom Canada squeaked by 1-0. The match also goes into the WWC record books on a number of counts. It is not easy to win 13-0 in a World Cup Finals match! I've watched a lot of football and I don't ever recall seeing a team swarmed over like that.

It will be interesting to see how Sweden and Chile fare against Thailand. Anybody want to bet that neither of them even get to double digits? Thought not. 😁

Germany Saudi game in 2002??  I think Klose got a hat trick and did the sproket dance in front of the saudi royal family.  

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Well, Thailand are ranked #34 in the World, 12 places above Cameroon whom Canada squeaked by 1-0. The match also goes into the WWC record books on a number of counts. It is not easy to win 13-0 in a World Cup Finals match! I've watched a lot of football and I don't ever recall seeing a team swarmed over like that.

It will be interesting to see how Sweden and Chile fare against Thailand. Anybody want to bet that neither of them even get to double digits? Thought not. 😁

You're wading into dangerous waters here. But you've watched a lot of football and quite rightly take the holy FIFA rankings as gospel. I am not taking that bet as I assume the Swedes have a touch of class.

I am glad others found it embarrassing and disgusting. Players, the bench, fans--really pathetic from all of them. 

In basketball you do not slam dunk, hang on the rim and get in the face of opponents when you are up 25 late. Or even when there is a minute left and you are up 15. In NFL they banned ostentatious celebration. In baseball your bat flips are considered out of line, even though the homer is in a critical playoff match. I actually am in favour of celebrating, but like that, it was, for me, a sign of mental illness from the team, and the fans too.

What kind of fans celebrate wildly in those circumstances? Fans who are screwed in the head.

It's interesting that almost all of the supporting comments out there for the US goal celebrations concerns defending them running up the score. I don't have an issue with scoring. It would have been far more disrespectful had the US just booted the ball down the field and stayed in their own end. Go score goals in the group stage. But, celebrating later goals as if they were Cup winning goals is disrespectful and classless. This could have been another team doing this, but it wasn't, it was the US. It shows why we have the word stereotype, in this case the "ugly American." The vast majority of Americans don't deserve this label, but the US women's team does. I hope they realize their errors and be contrite. They deserve support for their abilities but apart from the massive number of Americans buying tickets for this World Cup they won't be getting any from the neutrals.

Edited by RickC

9 hours ago, Lofty said:

A team stands a much better chance of doing so if their opponents no longer have the physical fitness to even attempt to pass the ball to each other and are just kicking the ball down the field to get it as far away from their goal as possible, which is what Thailand were doing for the last 15 minutes because they were that exhausted. It reminded me of the rugby match in Monty Python's Meaning of Life when the college age kids destroyed the boys team with very similar OTT victory celebrations on the sidelines. Only that was meant to be a joke and a parody whereas this was the real thing.

I find it interesting that there are quite a few commenters on social media, who are not as well informed as my fellow Vs, that make their point that this is, after all,  Thailand's first World Cup.

This is NOT Thailand's first World Cup. They qualified for WWC 2015 in Canada of all places. They lost to Norway 4-0, beat Ivory Coast 3-2 both in Ottawa and then lost to Germany 4-0 in Winnipeg. In the same group Germany beat Ivory Coast 10-0 and I am pretty sure that team did not go over the top with goal celebrations. 

I find some of the rationale defending the celebrations at 9-0 etc very strange and kinda troubling. Beyond the poor sportsmanship it all seemed very unnatural and just kinda lame. Even running over to embrace Thailand kinda felt like an effort to turn their disappointment in to an opportunity to make that even about the USWNT. I think it speaks to the energy now that if people feel something represents them in some way its beyond criticism or honest evaluation.

I was so proud of our ladies speaking their minds

Edited by SpursFlu

3 minutes ago, Lofty said:

In the first place, there is no excuse for not being fit enough to play the full 90 mins. The US were clearly fit enough. Of course if you have been run ragged by a team playing excellent football then perhaps that team deserves the credit for your inability to keep up. Honestly, I find this point bizarre.

In the second place, this is the first time in WWC history that a team has scored 13 goals so it can't be that easy!

Are you serious? You see it all the time, if the pace and tempo of the game is high enough players gas out.  If the opponent makes you chase them for 90min etc. 

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am glad others found it embarrassing and disgusting. Players, the bench, fans--really pathetic from all of them. 

In basketball you do not slam dunk, hang on the rim and get in the face of opponents when you are up 25 late. Or even when there is a minute left and you are up 15. In NFL they banned ostentatious celebration. In baseball your bat flips are considered out of line, even though the homer is in a critical playoff match. I actually am in favour of celebrating, but like that, it was, for me, a sign of mental illness from the team, and the fans too.

What kind of fans celebrate wildly in those circumstances? Fans who are screwed in the head.

Apparently also the same kind of fans who issue death threats against Canadian commentators who call out the lack of class from the Americans players:

https://www.tsn.ca/former-canadian-player-kaylyn-kyle-gets-death-threats-for-u-s-goal-celebration-criticism-on-tsn-1.1320944

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

In the first place, there is no excuse for not being fit enough to play the full 90 mins. The US were clearly fit enough. Of course if you have been run ragged by a team playing excellent football then perhaps that team deserves the credit for your inability to keep up. Honestly, I find this point bizarre.

In the second place, this is the first time in WWC history that a team has scored 13 goals so it can't be that easy!

Nobody is looking to provide Thailand with excuses though - what is being pointed out is that the fact that the team does not comprise professional athletes (which isn't all that unheard of with women's national team soccer given the paucity of professional leagues) makes the "achievement" of running up the score against such a team not such a brilliant accomplishment. That there were just 3 goals in the first half and 10 in the 2nd half should tell us all something. When the  US score 13 against Germany, Canada,  England, France or Brazil with 6 or 7 scored by half time due to pure American superiority of talent then perhaps I might marvel about how brilliant an accomplishment that is. Likewise I don't recall fawning over the German girls in such a manner when they beat Ivory Coast 10-0 in the previous World Cup.

Edited by Gian-Luca