Jump to content
admin

2019 Women's World Cup

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Lofty said:

And just so it is clear, THIS is the passive aggressive post (not disorder!) that kicked off this sh!t show. It is YOURS, not mine. And it is clearly and intentionally offensive.

I admit I could have backed out at any time so I hold my hand up to that, but your smug and sanctimonious demeanour somehow impelled me forward, even after I had decided to just leave it.

Apologies to all. I am done now.

Glad to read you are all done now.  Finally no more of your pedantic posts or any other posts of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a **** show this forum has become. How about that WWC??? England and France look decent but I worry those annoying American girls will walk away with the hardware. I think I will be cheering for my teenage home.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

What a **** show this forum has become. How about that WWC??? England and France look decent but I worry those annoying American girls will walk away with the hardware. I think I will be cheering for my teenage home.

Don't sleep on Germany and the Netherlands. Netherlands are European Champions and 7/8 quarter finalists are from Europe. Lots of serious contenders are still in it. USA favourites but the road ahead is not an easy one.

I'm dreaming of an England vs. Germany final (with a Russian linesman 😉😂). And it could definitely happen.

Edited by Lofty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your emoji-laden inane rambling about ******* linesmen really gets to the heart of my first statement. Of course a German England final could happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2019 at 12:46 PM, lamptern said:

Maybe some Chinese wisdom in there: balance in a right way.

FIFA are investigating the behaviour of Cameroon’s players during Sunday’s 3-0 defeat to England at the Women’s World Cup.

...

The Telegraph has since reported that match referee Qin Liang overruled two further decisions by the video assistant referee for fear England’s opponents would leave the pitch.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/england-vs-cameroon-fifa-to-investigate-players-behaviour-amid-reports-referee-overturned-var-decisions-to-keep-players-on-pitch-094609158.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9kdWNrZHVja2dvLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAADu-iPr0g9eur7CIK7m4uYYI45RRRmjoxfVqsSbnt_MozaYP1fyPYCpGQlq4lSj9y5ISdFlfxGdzM1in-YYUPnPrroT0LMuTUP_bI_ARF-rGt_EatLH7-l0MF-kd1_fFtOPrqwhauhbQyU94dJxd2CBBjDPPyPIdytb5hC6nmr5A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had not seen this before. Phil Neville's post match interview following England's win over Cameroon. His part begins at around 13:15. He certainly speaks from the heart.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Really great that we haven't seen penalties yet.  With four matches left, when was the last tournament to have penalties either at this stage or for the whole thing?

Edit:  That was easy, the 2007 World Cup had no penalties at all, but the knockout round started with a quarter-final.  Same with 2003, and 1991.

But as far as tournaments that have a Round of 16, no tournament - men or women - has ever gone through to the semi-finals without penalties.

Edited by RJB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, RJB said:

Really great that we haven't seen penalties yet.  With four matches left, when was the last tournament to have penalties either at this stage or for the whole thing?

Edit:  That was easy, the 2007 World Cup had no penalties at all, but the knockout round started with a quarter-final.  Same with 2003, and 1991.

But as far as tournaments that have a Round of 16, no tournament - men or women - has ever gone through to the semi-finals without penalties.

LOL, I just realised that there was penalties... Norway v. Australia in the Round of 16. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

USA wins World Cup but again a controversial penalty given to US in second half when game was still 0-0. Penalty in soccer will probably never change but again in a sport where it’s so hard to score to give penalties for things like that like was given in this game is something I’ll never can come to grips with. Penalties should only be given if a foul was committed stopping a clear goal opportunity and for nothing else , for example I take a shot that is heading away from the goal to say the corner flag and it hits a hand and it’s called a penalty makes no sense , the ball was not going into the net, it wasn’t a clear goal opportunity but yet it’s called a penalty makes no sense to me I’m sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't think it was a penalty when I first saw it. I also thought Morgan embellished it as she has done all through the tournament. 

But in the end it was a weak foul but high boot being dangerous tipped it. It was a dumb play by the Dutch player as Morgan was going from the goal.

I think the players are going to have to adjust to VAR and stop making low probability, high risk plays in the box anymore along with keeping their hands to the side. Tougher for the women since they don't play in leagues using VAR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, red card said:

I didn't think it was a penalty when I first saw it. I also thought Morgan embellished it as she has done all through the tournament. 

But in the end it was a weak foul but high boot being dangerous tipped it. It was a dumb play by the Dutch player as Morgan was going from the goal.

I think the players are going to have to adjust to VAR and stop making low probability, high risk plays in the box anymore along with keeping their hands to the side. Tougher for the women since they don't play in leagues using VAR.

I didn't see a foul that warranted giving the U.S. a goal.  Had it not been for it the game would have finished 0-0.  The introduction of the VAR was an asinine FIFA's decision that has changed the game from football to "look at me but don't touch me".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that situation, the VAR can only bring the referee's attention to it.  It was the referee that called the penalty after reviewing the video, not the VAR.  I thought it was a weak foul, and Morgan did embellish it, but in the end it was the Dutch player who invited that disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, rkomar said:

In that situation, the VAR can only bring the referee's attention to it.  It was the referee that called the penalty after reviewing the video, not the VAR.  I thought it was a weak foul, and Morgan did embellish it, but in the end it was the Dutch player who invited that disaster.

I turned off the TV when the penalty was awarded, Morgan deserved a yellow card.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...