Jump to content

2019 Women's World Cup


admin
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I predict this Canada team will better their QF finish at the last WWC. Nice blend of youth and experience and a few world class players (Sinclair / Fleming / Buchanan / Lawrence) bolstered by a very impressive supporting cast. Finally, a Canada team that is full of goals.

We.could.go.all.the.way....

Yeah, I also find it hard to get a read on other teams though.  

I can't find myself in with any confident position on predictions.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Spain super lucky on both PK calls. They were so good in qualifying and so good at youth level, and now this....

Glad it wasn't just me. The first pen is unfortunate and reflex but has to be given with the new rules. The second the commentator says is absolutely without a doubt the right decision. I don't see how she gets her foot out of the way after the clearance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Glad it wasn't just me. The first pen is unfortunate and reflex but has to be given with the new rules. The second the commentator says is absolutely without a doubt the right decision. I don't see how she gets her foot out of the way after the clearance. 

Yup. But the first call is clearly ball-to-hand, not hand trying to block the ball. You can't run at that speed and shift position with your hands glued to your side.

The second call is tough because the challenge was only slightly reckless, but yes, you can't move your foot away that quickly.  Not much she could do. 

 

In the end, two VERY easy and lucky PKs for Spain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are all being silly about Spain, they totally dominated the game, had 75% possession, up to 20 shots (I have not checked, and were superior in every facet). SA went ahead against the flow and on one of their only shots. That they got on the board and went ahead on penalties is beside the point: they got the result they deserved. If they had not gotten at least a draw it would have been a grossly unlucky result.

Also happens to be the first win ever for Spain in a WC, makes you realise how new the programme here really is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are all being silly about Spain, they totally dominated the game, had 75% possession, up to 20 shots (I have not checked, and were superior in every facet). SA went ahead against the flow and on one of their only shots. That they got on the board and went ahead on penalties is beside the point: they got the result they deserved. If they had not gotten at least a draw it would have been a grossly unlucky result.

Also happens to be the first win ever for Spain in a WC, makes you realise how new the programme here really is.

They had a lot of help from the referee and the VAR.  The VAR is changing the game and I find that frustrating.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are all being silly about Spain, they totally dominated the game, had 75% possession, up to 20 shots (I have not checked, and were superior in every facet).

With the talent they have, they should have been far better in the final 3rd.

Unlike some analysts, I expected Spain to easily get through their group at the start of the tournament. Now, I'm not so sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, The Ref said:

They had a lot of help from the referee and the VAR.  The VAR is changing the game and I find that frustrating.

The VAR and the ref helped them get 20+ shots and over 70% possession? That is plain silliness. They totally dominated and deserved to win. 

If you watched the match the S Africans kicked the hell out of them early, there were plays that were close to red that were not even called fouls in the first half, like when that striker leaped into the air and fell onto a clearing back about 2 seconds late. The ref only started to cut short very dirty play, involving late tackles to support ankles, in the 2nd half. She let them defend the early lead without cutting out the violent play at all, until it got too much. 

The VAR is anecdotal in the big picture. 

I gave an objective report about Canada-Spain the other day, I pointed out plenty of Spain limitations. But if the ref had not given the 1st they would have kept going and gotten their draw at least, and likely a win anyways. It was 3-1 so even arguing, it's a fair win. South Africa was lucky to be in it at all. 

What's funny is that we could get a very similar story for Canada's opener, and everyone will say what I am saying.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The VAR and the ref helped them get 20+ shots and over 70% possession? That is plain silliness. They totally dominated and deserved to win. 

If you watched the match the S Africans kicked the hell out of them early, there were plays that were close to red that were not even called fouls in the first half, like when that striker leaped into the air and fell onto a clearing back about 2 seconds late. The ref only started to cut short very dirty play, involving late tackles to support ankles, in the 2nd half. She let them defend the early lead without cutting out the violent play at all, until it got too much. 

The VAR is anecdotal in the big picture. 

I gave an objective report about Canada-Spain the other day, I pointed out plenty of Spain limitations. But if the ref had not given the 1st they would have kept going and gotten their draw at least, and likely a win anyways. It was 3-1 so even arguing, it's a fair win. South Africa was lucky to be in it at all. 

What's funny is that we could get a very similar story for Canada's opener, and everyone will say what I am saying.

Your description sort of proves my point.  The referee was inconsistent, a major sin of referees.  I didn't like her attitude as well.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's incredible if true that they started shifting people around in stadiums, not letting them sit together, when they were nowhere near being full anywhere. Has anyone heard more about that?

Any word about restrictions entering stadiums from anyone who has been to a game already?

There didn't seem to be any of that in Nice yesterday (I was at the match), I think so far the only match with ticketing issues was the first one - a bunch of people had had their tickets re-issued and didn't know, so the tickets they printed weren't valid anymore and they had to go get new ones, but all of the other games (which lower attendances) seem to have gone fine. All they did say in the stadium yesterday was to please sit in the seat assigned by your ticket, but I'm not sure if they were breaking groups up if some of them weren't - it's easy to say if you show up to your seat in an empty stadium and a group of ten is filling that row that you should just move but if you have a group of 10 that all bought tickets to sit in that row, it becomes a problem. There were large groups (like an entire lower bowl section) of Scotland fans all sitting together and given our experience buying tickets either the Scottish FA somehow got them a section or some of those people just moved to sit there, so there's that. 

As for the actual attendance yesterday, it seemed like at least 80% of the people there were from the UK, and another percentage other travelling fans - the local attendance seemed really low, a few youth teams if anything. 

Also to note, FIFA organized a bunch of shuttles to and from the stadium, which became really the only way for anyone not driving to get there (the train had organized a special match day price and everything but was on strike) and the shuttles were easily the best-organized thing FIFA has ever pulled off, I was astonished. 

Edited by carolynduthie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hi, thanks so much for that, good to hear. I have posted on Trams to the Stade in Montpellier just now. We'll see if they add shuttles to that service, will look for it now.

They are running shuttles to this game iirc from the Montpellier Airport, which seems really out of the way compared to just taking the tram. (It’s on the FIFA WWC site for each stadium if they have shuttles and where from.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, carolynduthie said:

They are running shuttles to this game iirc from the Montpellier Airport, which seems really out of the way compared to just taking the tram. (It’s on the FIFA WWC site for each stadium if they have shuttles and where from.)

See the Voyageurs in France thread.

I'm on tram now and I'd recommend it. ...i parked near the stadium as I'm driving back to Barcelona tonight. 

You are right about the shuttle it starts too far away from town. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...