Match Thread: June 4th, 2019 Forge vs Cavalry (Voyageurs Cup 1st leg)

This should be an interesting tie, are Forge now positioned to hand Cavalry their 1st loss, can they continue their string of impressive results? Another 2-0 win would set things up nicely for the away leg, I thought Forge should have had a result last time at THF, squad rotation has been impressive but Cavalry are coming off a bye week, another decent match up!

A fairly good forecast compared to some of the match days we've had;  https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/hourly-weather-forecast/ontario/hamilton?wx_auto_reload=

This was the extra ticket given to STH due to the inaugural match being free, I was also able to secure a couple of complimentary tickets offered by the club, this is a big match and will go a long ways in determining who gets to take on The Caps, I hope there is a good crowd!

Welp, this game had everything that makes it hard to try to start watching this sport.

Penalties for guys falling over their own feet.

No explanation about what penalties are for.

No replays to try to figure it out, or even if you know what is for to decide if you agree, or even see a better angle.

Arbitrary time added that they don't even show OR keep the clock counting, so you can't even tell how far into mystery time you are. 

Seems like a coaches challenge or something would be useful. 

Frustrating....

31 minutes ago, Tigers said:

Welp, this game had everything that makes it hard to try to start watching this sport.

No replays to try to figure it out, or even if you know what is for to decide if you agree, or even see a better angle.

Arbitrary time added that they don't even show OR keep the clock counting, so you can't even tell how far into mystery time you are. 

Frustrating....

PK was a clear and obvious foul, and correct red, anyone with half a brain can see that. The  added time was technically fine because the play was in motion as 93th minute began and the PK was awarded 20 seconds after the 93rd minute. So yeah stop being a baby, if you cant then go cry in silence.

Edited by Ivanovski94

36 minutes ago, Tigers said:

Frustrating....

Yeah, sorry.  

1- That was a penalty.  Full stop.

2 -  No ref is going to blow down the play in that situation as the clock hits 3 minutes.  Play was actively happening in the box and almost all ref's will let that play finish.

3 - Anyone who watches footy knows what the penalty was for - the player got the ball and the keeper took him out.  

Hmm, I couldn't tell any of that. I'm pretty new to watching soccer. I couldn't see what happened and there was no replay to show. Or clock running on the scoreboard. It was stopped at 90 in-stadium

Edited by Tigers

8 hours ago, Tigers said:

Penalties for guys falling over their own feet....

Soccer isn't going to change to fit your tastes. The penalty was for Roberts' absurd studs up challenge on Malonga and it was a red card because it took away an open goal.

On a completely unrelated matter, there is no way that Zajac is pronounced "Zay-Jack" in the context of a Polish surname. Embarrassing to have an announcer making zero effort in what is supposed to be a multicultural society. Found this after minimal googling:

https://www.howtopronounce.com/zajac/

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Soccer isn't going to change to fit your tastes. The penalty was for Roberts' absurd studs up challenge on Malonga and it was a red card because it took away an open goal.

On a completely unrelated matter, there is no way that Zajac is pronounced "Zay-Jack" in the context of a Polish surname. Embarrassing to have an announcer making zero effort in what is supposed to be a multicultural society. Found this after minimal googling:

https://www.howtopronounce.com/zajac/

I’m poland it’s projounced Zah-yontz, but I can guarentee you Marcel himself pronounced it Zay-jack, most polish surnames are Anglicized and pronounced in the “incorrect” way in North America. 

24 minutes ago, Langs said:

I’m poland it’s projounced Zah-yontz, but I can guarentee you Marcel himself pronounced it Zay-jack, most polish surnames are Anglicized and pronounced in the “incorrect” way in North America. 

Still have nightmares about having to suddenly try to pronounce Wroclaw when introducing a speaker at a meeting of about 150 people when my co-chair who was from China turned to me in panic and said she couldn't do it.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot