Match Thread: June 4, 2019 - Forge FC v Cavalry FC - 2nd Round - 1st Leg

Oh I love Cavalry - apologies Forge fans. They are true CPL Villains. Team that grinds out results, a few characters every other teams supporters will hate. They are everyones favourite heel.  

Obviously you don't want to see that kind of scene at the end but man has it ever amped up the drama. I thought it was a great game and the second leg is going to be must watch!

2 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

^ Maybe I'm being biased but I feel like I'm a lot less impressed by Escalante then some others.  But yeah, if you want to play your way out of the league he's going about it the right way. 

I thought he was off the pace today. I have been impressed prior to his injury. He is probably as good as any other winger in the league. Whether he is the best I am not convinced. His dive was ridiculous if not predictable. Wheeler was bang on with Malonga trying to turn the screw on Frano after, very snide. 

Great advert for the league all that.  Sure to sell some tickets. 

Thrirty grown men coming together all manning up, mouthing off and not a fist fight to show for it.  Fu'k... I can see that FOR FREE at any provincial league match.    

Just back from the game. Forge made this game harder than it had to be, and could have built a bit of a cushion going into the second leg. Very enjoyable match but it has to be advantage Cavalry with the away goal and even score line. 

Welshman looked like a different player up top for the first 60 minutes or so compared to the player I watched up top earlier in the season. I was impressed with his strength, hold up play, and how he was bringing others into the play. He looked like a proper centre forward. That’s a nice development if he can continue to improve those aspects of his game.

Escalante played the pantomime villain tonight. He is such a prick. I bet Cavalry fans will love him (perhaps minus the diving/feigning injury for some), but he was trying to wind us up after the goal. He definitely has the ability to get under your skin. Cavalry are already an easy team to hate, which is actually probably good for growing interest in the league.

Hard to see how there aren’t a few suspensions for the second leg. Hopefully they aren’t for any longer than one match so whoever advances isn’t playing a less than preferred lineup vs the whitecaps. 

A lot of livid Forge fans after this one.  Have to see a replay, neither I nor anyone around me could see an obvious reason for penalty but I'm guessing Roberts made contact with Calgary player on way through. 

I'll reserve judgment for now although at time I was in shock and felt final whistle should already have been blown.  Lots of fouling and flopping by Calgary players so yes if they weren't before they are an absolutely hated team in the Hammer now.  

Good to see the passion, I was right up there at front with a large group after game screaming obscenities at Calgary players and ref.  Wanted to jump on the field and knock that smug little cap off Tommy Wheeldon's smug little head.

Never mind, we'll go into Calgary, show them for the third time how proper soccer is played, and maybe their absurd luck will finally run out.

Other people will have different opinions about what good soccer is, it was clear to me after tonight who is playing the best soccer in the league right now even if we don't win the spring season.

Rant over, hope it was a fun game to watch for neutral fans.

Sergio Camargo, Jose Escalante, Tommy Wheeldon, and Mr. Referee, don't show your faces in Hamilton tonight!

And this game coming down to the wire was completely on Forge FC.  A number of chances they should have finished, and still some sketchy defending at times.

I really feel like this was a big moment for Forge FC as a club though.  A lot of fans brought together by mutual anger and disbelief at end of game.  'The Fix is In' and 'CPL loves Cavalry' were a couple chants I hears.  Great to see the passion.

50 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

P.S.  The post match rubbish needs to handled with a very, very, firm hand.  A message needs to be sent and if both these teams suffer for it then too fu'king bad.  Disciplinary over reaction is warranted.   

Yeah might be interesting. Pundits said there were some fists thrown. I didn't see anything in the replays. They mention Samuel. It was clear in the replay he was one of the players trying to calm everyone down. 

If there was fists there should be a couple of players fined and suspended. I fully expect some fines and yellows and thats it. The league could fine the clubs potentially, like other leagues, for bringing the game into disrepute. 

First Forge match we've missed, had to take my kid to his U10 rep match where they got thumped. Raced home to watch the added time red card and penalty. Maybe against Cavalry the fans should leave at the 90th minute so they see Forge beat them every time.

Our four tix were used as I transferred them to my brother who took three friends. None of them had been to a Forge match yet, and all enjoyed themselves. I did get the report that ShortDutchCanuck was not too happy at the end!

12 hours ago, jonovision said:

The funniest part about the garbage after the whistle is that Escalante, who conducts himself like an absolute dickhead from the moment he's subbed in, is completely calm, just shaking hands around the edge of the scuffle.

Maybe Escalante was worried about things escalating if he acted otherwise?