Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread--Jun 5, 2019--HFX Wanderers vs. Valour (VCup 1st Leg)

Posted (edited)

I'm really pleased to see what is going on in Halifax and will cheer hard for them against Ottawa if they knock us out, but in the meantime...

Bring on the Wanderers!

Edited by Lofty

Valour won their only CPL meeting 1-0. 

Should be a decent match up according to the standings. However Valour should have the edge on paper.  

Valour will gave 1 less day of rest due to their match v Edmonton being move to Sunday. 

10 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I'll be at this game tomorrow...weather looks iffy but really looking forward to watching soccer in one of my favourite cities in Canada at what looks like an amazing facility.

Jealous!  🤢

Hope you get to see a good match Al!

Posted (edited)

Valour have dominated and are down 2-1. Maybe Janssens isn't so much better than Farago. Totally undeserved lead, but that's soccer.

Situation totally misplayed by, of course, Murrell with an assist to Janssens. Just amateurish stuff ont the back line.

Edited by jonovision

Posted (edited)

1-1 now. Skublak ties it up.

And Wanderers take the lead as I'm typing. Karouma with the goal. Skublak with the assist.

Edit: Wanderers keep pressing. Looking for the 3rd.

Edited by narduch

Valour surely needs to pick up some CB depth this summer. Murrell has not looked good, and Thomas has had flashes but there isn't much coverage. *cough Edgar cough*

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Janssens sure botched that one. His only mistake of the year but what a cock up.

Janssens has always looked unsure of himself on crosses. It is his key weakness, and a big one. And that is one of Farago's strengths!

As for Valour's central defence, did they leave for their halftime cuppa after about 40 mins? Where the phuck were they?

Petrasso again shows why he is not a defender. Absolutely clueless in his own box.

Beland-Goyette very solid again.

Assist to Sacramento on Bustos' goal.

Valour were totally dominating...until suddenly they weren't. Weird.

Edited by Lofty

9 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Valour surely needs to pick up some CB depth this summer. Murrell has not looked good, and Thomas has had flashes but there isn't much coverage. *cough Edgar cough*

I'm sure Valour would have Edgar already if he wanted to come.

3 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I have on a few occasions called Skublak 'totally useless' he is making me eat my words tonight. Im happy about that  lol

And on cue, a ridiculous tackle for a yellow,

Posted (edited)

Arguinarena has not been up to his usual standard and Carreiro has been very poor. And Thomas is just molasses-slow.

Edited by jonovision

Posted (edited)

Welp, this game and probably this tie is over now with the Thomas injury. It will be a victory to get home with no worse than 3-1. Good ref though, he's on Iida's case for his many flops.

Edited by jonovision

7 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Welp, this game and probably this tie is over now with the Thomas injury. It will be a victory to get home with no worse than 3-1. Good ref though, he's on Iida's case for his many flops.

I am rooting for HFX, but I wouldn't mind a card issued to Ida for the dives.  The last one had no contact whatsoever so it isn't even embellishment - he is blatantly diving to get free kicks and/or get the Valour players booked.

2-1 away isn't such a bad result in a cup match but this one will hurt as it was given away. And if Thomas is out for any length of time Valour are sunk. He's not been so great himself, but the more of a role Murrell is asked to play the worse things will end up.

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2019 at 6:06 PM, jonovision said:

2-1 away isn't such a bad result in a cup match but this one will hurt as it was given away. And if Thomas is out for any length of time Valour are sunk. He's not been so great himself, but the more of a role Murrell is asked to play the worse things will end up.

Definitely advantage HFX though.

Thomas and Murrell both seem to steer clear of physical contact as much as possible. Good defenders embrace physical contact because it is an important part of the job.

Although Thomas made some good interventions today, his positioning was suspect, he got beaten all ends up a few times, and HFX were having their way in the air in Valour's box, where he should be imposing himself. If he is out for a while (he isn't though, that was just a precautionary substitution) and Mitter is back, Valour will be better, not worse.

My MOTM: Beland-Goyette. Very solid again. Not perfect, but the mistakes were few and unimportant.

Edited by Lofty

Valour now 3-0-4 on the season. Lower mid-table form. Seems about right.

Can play very well at times but a rickety defence is their achilles heel. Probably the team most likely to beat one of the top two but also quite likely to lose to the bottom two.