Canadian Future CBs

Yoginess

I'm always losing track of our potential future CBs who have a realistic shot at making our National Team, so I thought I'd put them in once place.

Derek Cornelius - 1997 Vancouver Whitecaps
Karifa Yao - 2000 Montreal Impact
Kamal Miller - 1997 Orlando SC
Callum Montgomery - 1997 FC Dallas
Julian Dunn-Johnson - 2000 TFC
Thomas Meilleur-Giguère - 1997 Ottawa Fury
Martín Amuz - 1997 Danubio
Rocco Romeo -  2000 TFC

Dual Nationals

Fikayo Tomori - 1997 Chelsea [England U21 International]
Kosovar Sadiki - 98 - HibernianFC [May have filed switch to Albania]
Luke Singh - 01 - Brondby [T&T Youth player, needs to file one time switch]

Jonas Hakkinen - 1999 VPS (Finland) [committed to Finland]

Edited by Yoginess

Dominik Zator - Cavalry FC

24 year old out of the whitecaps academy. Has been the most dominant CB in the CPL this season by a lot of people’s opinion. Probably more of a long shot, but hey without canadas cb depth who knows.

7 hours ago, Reign said:

24 year old out of the whitecaps academy. Has been the most dominant CB in the CPL this season by a lot of people’s opinion. Probably more of a long shot, but hey without canadas cb depth who knows.

Waterman has really surprised there too. 

Amuz is a dual national isnt he?

12 hours ago, Reign said:

I like this guy, but I actually like Waterman even more. It's really hard to say how good they are compared to other NT guys, though.

22 hours ago, badname22 said:

N'sa ('99) for Halifax might be one to Consider Aswell. Legault can also play CB

The fact that Legault hasn't played himself ahead of McCurdy or MacNaughton yet is worrisome. 

10 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I'm surprised how playing on a bad Orlando team has allowed Miller to pass Montgomery, who plays on a decent, well-run Dallas team. I realize Montgomery hasn't played, but I assume there was a reason he went 4th overall and Miller 27th in the same draft. Too bad we don't have any friendlies to give them both an equal opportunity.

This is the story with 90% of our pool sadly.  We have about 10 blue chip guys and then it’s all relative guesses since we never test them.

Isn't that what club football is for?

If a player can't make the roster of a so-so MLS team while another less heralded player can make the starting eleven at times, then the test results are in.

Canadian players who can't make it in club football rarely ever outperform at the national team level.

If Montgomery had an amazing pedigree or is viewed as a diamond in the rough (like MAK or Okello), despite his underperformance, some consideration could be given. 

The Nation's League competition is glorified friendlies.  Honestly, that is where we should and hopefully will be experimenting.  Unfortunately for USA & Mexico they will be faced to play CONCACAF minnows instead of friendlies vs top World international opposition. 

No team wants to lose the Nations League games.  The intent of creating these leagues was  to increase intensity over typical friendly games but at the end of the day, National teams are still gonna use these games as experimentation.  UEFA Nations League countries do treat these games more than friendlies but at the end of the day its the least important tournament for competition for them.

The Gold Cup is more akin to friendlies than nations league imo.  If the States and Mexico want to treat this like friendlies that’s on them.  Neither team is in a position to act elitist.. Mexico should have missed 2014 and the USA just missed 2018.  

These games are the best possible prep for wcq and you don’t get the best possible prep by experimenting.  Don’t give the CSA a tailor made excuse.. there are still many slots to book friendlies with the nations league.  But we know they won’t do it.. we’re trying to set a Guinness record for longest time without a friendly before someone in the media gives a fuck. 

I can't see the CSA fitting in a friendly between two games in September.  I am in full support of the addition of 1 friendly game in both October and November during those international breaks when we are only scheduled for 1 competitive game.  But my opinion and my expectations are two completely different things.

Perhaps we never fully utilize our player pool and therefore never utilize our potential.

I am also 100% in favour of holding camps and/or friendlies in non-sanctioned breaks as well just as many other Central American teams do.  Would love to see MLS fringe players & CPL players get a camp and/or friendly vs a domestic based El Salvador team at the end of the CPL season.

Sorry completely off topic now but it would be a good idea to see MLS players like Montgomery join up with CPL players for a camp.