Match Thread: June 1, 2019 - HFX Wanderers v. Pacific FC

This is a great game for CBC to have. Apparantly the weather will be nice, so I imagine the atmosphere will be great. Both teams will want a win so hopefully we see entertaining football. It definitely looks better to have this game versus some of the others. 

Prediction: 2-1 PFC

Edited by ktf

First half thoughts:

- Just over a month later, and this game is playing out in a very similar manner. PFC is far superior in the midfield and can jsut overrun them and hold possession easily.

-However, with that being said, PFC really has not been dangerous and have wasted a few opening with back passes. HFX has been more dangerous, as when they do get past the midfield they have the advantage. Half-time analysis crew seems on point as well.

-The goal was very nice, and nice to see Campbell breakthrough

-I do wish John and Bona would not try and dive for cards. John did it twice, and that one play Bona went down like he was shot. 

-Village is making me uncomfortable, as I feel he looked hesitant to come off the line a couple times.

-Great crowd! I did enjoy the "Playing under hot conditions, it is nearly 20" We may need FIFA mandated heat breaks soon.

Edited by ktf

Before the start of the season, I thought Pacific would be up there and Cavalry would struggle! I'm sure I'm not the only one. Thinking back, that was probably silly, considering Cavalry had a core who played together last season. In fact they probably always had an advantage for the spring season. Oh well!

7 minutes ago, StillOnFire said:

Halifax supporters really are a good advertisement for Canadian Soccer, I think 'similar' places would really be good for the league, like Regina, I think, would have similar support (obviously I'm no expert).

...and the announced numbers seem to tally with what you see is happening in terms of filled seats unlike certain other places. More likely Saskatoon in Saskatchewan for stadium related reasons. The success at the gate in Halifax will hopefully lead to rapid expansion in similar smaller non-CFL cities.

Well not too impressed with a few things.

Firstly, that was not a great penalty call. I think a draw was a fairer result, given that the game was decided by that in the end. 

Secondly, PFC just gives the ball away too cheaply. The young players especially just tend to be too easily dispossessed in critical areas. Hopefully something that improves with experience. Haber is also really only good if someone banks the ball in off his head. 

Thirdly, I think Halifax players rolling around on the ground at every opportunity at the end was kind of disappointing. I honestly hope this is the kind of action that eventually garners fines. I did not realize we were playing Honduras. 

7 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...and the announced numbers seem to tally with what you see is happening in terms of filled seats unlike certain other places. More likely Saskatoon in Saskatchewan for stadium related reasons. The success at the gate in Halifax will hopefully lead to rapid expansion in similar smaller non-CFL cities.

Aye, Saskatoon would be more likely, Regina, for whatever reason was the first name that came to head. Would like to hear from people with more knowledge with regards to towns and cities which may pull a similar crowd. But HFX have impressed me.

32 minutes ago, ktf said:

Well not too impressed with a few things.

Firstly, that was not a great penalty call. I think a draw was a fairer result, given that the game was decided by that in the end. 

Secondly, PFC just gives the ball away too cheaply. The young players especially just tend to be too easily dispossessed in critical areas. Hopefully something that improves with experience. Haber is also really only good if someone banks the ball in off his head. 

Thirdly, I think Halifax players rolling around on the ground at every opportunity at the end was kind of disappointing. I honestly hope this is the kind of action that eventually garners fines. I did not realize we were playing Honduras. 

McCurdy totally useless tho. Not a pro player.

58 minutes ago, ktf said:

PFC just gives the ball away too cheaply. The young players especially just tend to be too easily dispossessed in critical areas.

This is one of the biggest problems. Against physically stronger teams like Edmonton the teens are pushovers. They looked a bit better against HFX today but this is probably the hardest issue to correct.