Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread--Jun 1, 2019--Edmonton vs. Valour **CLQ**

Recommended Posts

Very glad to have Petrasso back on the pitch.  Got knocked about a bit today but managed the 90 as did Bustos.  Few bruises to show for the effort, both of them.  

Good road match for Valour.  Using the pitch but need to be braver on occassion and maybe a bit less rushed on others. 

Not a ton of good scoring chances today but a pretty an entertaining match all said and done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edmonton is reflective of the blight in Canadian football seen regularly in the past. Good goalkeeper, solid backline, tough mentally and physically but creatively impotent, can't string 3 passes together and goal starved. 

No identity seen. If you have athletes rather than football players, they don't play direct enough. End result is most boring team in the CPL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Janssens is better than Farago. Quite obvious at this point.

I didn't see this match, but it was obvious after Janssens' first start. Not sure how it wasn't clear in training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game just shows edmonton is really the weakest team in the league..gotta start doe and b zebie..marcelin out of gas after a half..nothing going offensively..son very mediocre..just won first game but even then were completely dominated and now cant score and giving a lot of chances..sarkaria khabra havent brought much..moses bad at cb..diouck esua james temguia have been their best players but need much better performances and probably to bring in a few players to turn it around

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I may surprise some with this but I am awarding co-MOTM to Petrasso and Beland-Goyette. Petrasso's contribution was obvious but when you get a shut out you know there was some good work happening on the defensive side of the ball and Beland-Goyette provided rock solid DM cover just in front of a much improved back three. Hardly put a foot wrong and was often in the thick of it.

I think and hope that both keepers will see significant playing time going forward, but Janssens does look to have claimed the #1 spot for now. Definitely played another strong game today. And in two matches has yet to concede a goal.

Bustos was also excellent and it was nice to see Thomas and Murrell finally putting in tackles. Might have been Thomas's best match so far as he continues to improve.

Overall, a very solid team performance and a tactical success for Rob Gale who clearly set out to deny FCE any chance of scoring on the counter. And, in spite of the lone goal, an entertaining watch.

Oh, and Forge now need 1 point from their remaining 2 matches to qualify for the CONCACAF League.

Edited by Lofty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ B-G has been good all season, to my mind at least.  He's playing one of those roles sooo well that you don't realise how well he's been playing it until you miss how well he's being playing it.  So stay healthy!

Thomas and Murrell, especially Murrell, finally starting to show that partnership Gale has been hoping for.  Hope they can keep it up.  But Valour are all about what's happening in the middle field, which is improving.   Still, good to see, lads. 

Petrasso?  Looked a bit off, timing/anticipation, that sort of thing but I'm being harsh.  One of the top players on the pitch today, as usual.

Some things need to change for the Eddies or they are in for a very, very, long season.  Don't ask me what because I don't know but they've tooled up for a certain style of play and I'm not sure it has anything other than a very low ceiling. On another morning, with another ref, Valour are coming home with something better than a1-nil away win.

P.S.  That pitch sucks.  From the outside looking in Clarke Field has potential, but shoot the groundskeeper though.   Or let him/her die of shame.  Whatever it take to get the AstroTurf replaced.    

P.S.S.  Away and home against Wanderers in th V's Cup!  Fu'k me I can no wait.  Mostly because I know we can take them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

^ B-G has been good all season, to my mind at least.  He's playing one of those roles sooo well that you don't realise how well he's been playing it until you miss how well he's being playing it.  So stay healthy!

In previous matches, while he has been solid, I've felt that Beland-Goyette gave the ball away too much and committed too many fouls. He did neither of those things today, whilst still doing all the good stuff. Outstanding.

26 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Some things need to change for the Eddies or they are in for a very, very, long season.  Don't ask me what because I don't know but they've tooled up for a certain style of play and I'm not sure it has anything other than a very low ceiling.

For the home match I wondered whether they had sent Edmonton Rugby Football Club by mistake. By god, I wouldn't fancy our chances in the alley! But as footballers they struck me as well organized but very limited. I'm afraid that subsequent matches, 4 without a goal and counting, have borne out that fear, to this point anyway. I wish them luck but they need more skill to complement their size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

P.S.  That pitch sucks.  From the outside looking in Clarke Field has potential, but shoot the groundskeeper though.   Or let him/her die of shame.  Whatever it take to get the AstroTurf replaced.   

That artificial turf was intalled in 2014, they won't likely be replacing it for a few more years. As artificial turf goes, its supposedly of quite high quality. Doesn't always look the best, similar to the look of the Whitecaps turf sometimes, not sure if that's because of how they maintain it or not and prep before matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, red card said:

Edmonton is reflective of the blight in Canadian football seen regularly in the past. Good goalkeeper, solid backline, tough mentally and physically but creatively impotent, can't string 3 passes together and goal starved. 

No identity seen. If you have athletes rather than football players, they don't play direct enough. End result is most boring team in the CPL.

Unfortunately, throughout most of their 7 years in NASL they were always offensively lacking (except for one half season) and quite similarily played a boring style. Thought this would change with Colin Miller gone but it seems much the same with Paulus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lofty said:

In previous matches, while he has been solid, I've felt that Beland-Goyette gave the ball away too much and committed too many fouls. He did neither of those things today, whilst still doing all the good stuff. Outstanding.

For the home match I wondered whether they had sent Edmonton Rugby Football Club by mistake. By god, I wouldn't fancy our chances in the alley! But as footballers they struck me as well organized but very limited. I'm afraid that subsequent matches, 4 without a goal and counting, have borne out that fear, to this point anyway. I wish them luck but they need more skill to complement their size.

I see him as some sort of version of Samuel Piette. It took Piette some time to get used to the MLS style and reduce his number of fouls/ giveaways. I like what I've seen from him. Good ball distribution and consistent improvement is great to see! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

I see him as some sort of version of Samuel Piette. It took Piette some time to get used to the MLS style and reduce his number of fouls/ giveaways. I like what I've seen from him. Good ball distribution and consistent improvement is great to see! 

One thing I recall about Piette is that he seems to often make an incisive forward pass that gets an attack going. Beland-Goyette tends to settle for the "safety first and maintain possession" type of pass, which exacerbates the crime when he gives it away. If he ever started looking for those more incisive (and brave!) forward passes he would be downright dangerous!

Lots of improvement and good things from Valour today all across the pitch, so keep up the good work Robbie Gale!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

That artificial turf was intalled in 2014, they won't likely be replacing it for a few more years. As artificial turf goes, its supposedly of quite high quality. Doesn't always look the best, similar to the look of the Whitecaps turf sometimes, not sure if that's because of how they maintain it or not and prep before matches.

Reminds me more of the plastic in Seattle (few years ago anyway).  Big bounces, ball skates and skates and skates...  Isn't just the surface friction either.  Funny isn't it how the physical properties which allow the ball to do one thing allow players with the appropriate footware do quite another.  Too much traction is as bad a too little.  There will be injuries.  Oh yes, there will.  

Sure it's wonderful for grid iron football, maybe even field hockey.  Soccer?  Not so much.  

Just my opinion from what I've seen on the broadcast.  Don't know if they did anything different today but I dont' recall it being that firm a few years ago.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

By the way, if you haven't yet Subscribed to "CPL Soccer" on YouTube, you might want to do that now. I think it helps with the YouTube algorithm to get the videos recommended more often. As does "liking" the video and leaving a comment.

Edited by Lofty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Reminds me more of the plastic in Seattle (few years ago anyway).  Big bounces, ball skates and skates and skates...  Isn't just the surface friction either.  Funny isn't it how the physical properties which allow the ball to do one thing allow players with the appropriate footware do quite another.  Too much traction is as bad a too little.  There will be injuries.  Oh yes, there will.  

Sure it's wonderful for grid iron football, maybe even field hockey.  Soccer?  Not so much.  

Just my opinion from what I've seen on the broadcast.  Don't know if they did anything different today but I dont' recall it being that firm a few years ago.   

Sandor mentioned the city crew matted the turf before the match which made it even faster. And the city crew were proud of their work - hopefully somebody on FCE tells them otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...