Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread--Jun 1, 2019--Edmonton vs. Valour **CLQ**

Posted (edited)

May as well get this started.

Valour team news: Sounds like Mitter is still out but Petrasso is available. Galey has been experimenting with Petrasso playing wide right and Gutierrez coming inside.

FCE are a counter attacking team. They have scored 2 goals in 4 matches, both against Valour, who pressed hard. Garcia has shown he is not out of place so I expect to see 4 at the back: Arguiñarena, Thomas, Murrell, Garcia.

Keeper is getting interesting as Farago has been less than impressive recently whilst Janssens has played one, conceded nil. Galey has shown a propensity to stubbornly stick with his under performing favourites but I think Janssens is going to get another start here, although predicting Galey to drop one of his under performing favourites is a bit like Charlie Bown with Lucy and the football: surely THIS time...

Midfield depends on the formation and I'm going to say it will be a robust 4411, since maximum width and lots of crosses against this gigantic FCE team will be futile -- they need to be attacked on the ground. Beland-Goyette has played every minute of every match so far and has done a good job providing cover for a creaky defence. He starts as holding mid. Petrasso is back and starts at right mid, where it will be interesting to see how well he links up with Garcia, who has shown a pleasing willingness to go forward. Bustos, another tricky little player who can give FCE fits on the ground starts at left mid. Which leaves us with a bit of a dilemma. Sacramento and Gutierrez have both impressed but they can't both start at centre mid. I think Galey could go either way here but I'm going to say Sacramento because not only has he shown himself to be very strong going forward and defending, but he is a good ball winner into the bargain. Will probably be replaced by Gutierrez at some point to see how that goes.

Up top I'm going to say a now well rested Hoyle in front of...Musse? Or Peña, who looked dangerous in his cameo vs. Forge. But I think Musse to add a little bit more size and height to the attack.

As for subs, Muenkat (why do people keep saying "moon kat" when there are clearly three syllables: "moo en kat"?) looked dangerous towards the end vs. Forge and after a slow start suddenly looks like a bona fide contender along with Gutierrez and Peña. And of course we have Galvis and Ohin waiting in the wings if we need some defensive cover.

I really do think that with a bit of luck (no more important injuries!), Valour have the players to give the top two a run for their money in the Fall Season, where Forge are likely to count the cost of qualifying for the CONCACAF League, which I see as a bit of a poisoned chalice, particularly if you do well! (With ten extra matches if you get to the final, it is hard to see how a team with a small squad could compete for that and the CPL title, not to mention the additional 2-4 VCup matches for Forge. Wishful thinking perhaps, but the teams in CL are not the big boys, so you never know.)

Edited by Lofty

7 hours ago, Lofty said:

As for subs, Muenkat (why do people keep saying "moon kat" when there are clearly three syllables: "moo en kat"?)

Moon Kat is the greatest name in the history of CPL which includes Elton John and Emilio Estevez.  Even if we get the proper pronunciation confirmed, I will never stop referring to him as Moon Kat!

9 hours ago, Lofty said:

As for subs, Muenkat (why do people keep saying "moon kat" when there are clearly three syllables: "moo en kat"?) 

*shakes head*

No.  Has to be bastardized into Winnipeg ingwish.  In no particular order of importance or footie reliance.

Jagdev= Jay

Mohinder= Moe

Sharma= Sharma (of course)

Muenkat= MOONCAT

Musse=Moose

Janssens= That Belgian Guy.

6 hours ago, Cheeta said:

*shakes head*

No.  Has to be bastardized into Winnipeg ingwish.  In no particular order of importance or footie reliance.

Jagdev= Jay

Mohinder= Moe

Sharma= Sharma (of course)

Muenkat= MOONCAT

Musse=Moose

Janssens= That Belgian Guy.

I take it you aren't tackling Arguiñarena any time soon then? You've now got me hoping that Valour sign Pawel Wszolek from QPR. 😆

Posted (edited)

https://canpl.ca/article/preview-fc-edmonton-vs-valour-fc-match-20

Author mostly agrees with me on the projected line up, except that he doesn't try to kick Lucy's football and keeps Farago in goal, and sticks with the previous formula of Hoyle/Petrasso as the front two and Gutierrez at right mid -- meaning Musse misses out. Both changes (to my projection) are very possible. But I do hope to see Galey trying different things as good scoring chances have been rarer than hen's teeth for Valour and that needs to change. This author is probably right about Farago over Janssens but Musse has presented a scoring threat whenever he has played so I still see him in the starting eleven.

Edited by Lofty

7 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Time for the Eddies to sink or swim - almost literally

After scoring twice against Valour's creaky defence in their opener and being unable to score in any of their next three matches, the Eddies are surely looking at this as a chance to break that disappointing scoreless streak.

This is definitely an interesting match up because these two teams do seem to be competing to see who is number three: and hence best positioned to challenge the top two. Advantage Eddies right now, but it is close.

Garcia hasnt been good..lost many battles, didnt bring much offensively and 2 yellows in 2 games..looks weak physically also..lets see if he can do better..with hoyle musse petrasso bustos think valour takes this one

I'll play.  Best match by Valour so for, methinks.  2-1 for Valour.  2-0 if Farago is on the bench.

There.  I've jinxed them.  You're welcome.

P.S.  Hoyle and Petrasso (PK) for the goals 

9 hours ago, Cheeta said:

P.S.S.  Beer for breakfast.  Outstanding.

I've stocked the fridge in my Edmonton hotel with sparkling wine and orange juice.  I'll have a few mimosas in my room before I head to the stadium tomorrow morning :)

1 hour ago, MrsC said:

I've stocked the fridge in my Edmonton hotel with sparkling wine and orange juice.  I'll have a few mimosas in my room before I head to the stadium tomorrow morning :)

Glad you didn't have an early morning return flight!

Chances for both teams early. Shifting the game by a day with a 10:30am local start has had a predictable but unavoidable effect on the size of the crowd.

Valour getting close to american style teams with heavy number of spanish portuguese speakers with carreiro arguinarena bustos galvis gutierrez in the 11..sacramento on the bench gets subbed in for injured gutierrez at the end of the half..valour looks closer to taking it but should send in musse and hoyle if they cant score by 60 min..petrasso back to right back..ref gives 3 yellows in first 16 min

Posted (edited)

Complete effort and deserved result IMO. Edmonton needs to find some ideas besides lumping it into the area from corner kicks or open play. Hopefully the Gutierrez injury isn't serious -- I though he did well in central midfield.

Petrasso was head and shoulders above the other players on both teams. Great to have him back.

Edited by jonovision