Sign in to follow this  
Ansem

CPL Transfer thread

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

As I'm frequently the one arguing for Canadian clubs to try to retain their best players I'm not sure why you've chosen a post of mine to make this point.

Regardless, I disagree with your assessment. For many in NA it seems that transfers to more established clubs in Europe are the only way to legitimize our development pathway. That's why I think many clubs/players/fans are encouraged by lateral moves to Europe, even though it frequently means that the player receives less than preferential treatment once they get there. These are the moves that I would discourage. I'd prefer to have our players competing at home unless they've obviously outgrown the league and they can garner a transfer fee and move up a level. That's how we get better

I quoted you because I did not agree with your implication ("...let's not pretend that is always the case...") that CPL clubs will drive player transfers and my post was in response to that point. I'm not trying to pick on you!

I'm also not taking a position on what I think is best; I'm just commenting on what I think will happen.

Your post above says that you disagree with what I said but I can't find anything in there that contradicts it as I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said there.

To summarize, my only point was that it is CPL players and their agents who will drive CPL player transfers, not the CPL clubs (for the reasons I specified above). And I really don't see CPL clubs initiating lateral player transfers to Europe for the sake of player development; I think they will look after themselves and try to hang on to their best players. If our development pathway needs to be legitimized (I'm not sure why) then I really don't think it will be CPL.clubs doing it.

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Lofty said:

I quoted you because I did not agree with your implication ("...let's not pretend that is always the case...") that CPL clubs will drive player transfers and my post was in response to that point. I'm not trying to pick on you!

I'm also not taking a position on what I think is best; I'm just commenting on what I think will happen.

Your post above says that you disagree with what I said but I can't find anything in there that contradicts it as I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said there.

To summarize, my only point was that it is CPL players and their agents who will drive CPL player transfers, not the CPL clubs (for the reasons I specified above). And I really don't see CPL clubs initiating lateral player transfers to Europe for the sake of player development; I think they will look after themselves and try to hang on to their best players. If our development pathway needs to be legitimized (I'm not sure why) then I really don't think it will be CPL.clubs doing it.

I’m not sure we’re disagreeing on much apart from semantics. I agree that players and agents will be the ones ‘driving’ player transfers, but clubs still play a significant role in the process as they are similarly negotiating with those players and agents. My point was that we shouldn’t pretend that CPL clubs aren’t utterly powerless in determining whether a player leaves or not. If the player is happy with their deal they are less likely to leave. The ‘Caps probably could have kept Kianz Froese if they had provided him with more playing time and a higher salary, but they didn’t. Now he’s in Germany, and at this point I don’t think it was a particularly good move for either party.

I disagreed that the two reasons you suggested (cashing in or shipping out) were the only ones for a club to move a player on. I suggested perception and image as another reason, particularly in a brand new league. Clubs may be more willing to move players on if they feel it will help them establish a place in the transfer market or improve their reputation as a club that can help players advance in their careers. 

Edited by Aird25