CPL Transfer thread

yeah im not sure he's gone at the end of the season unless he forces it. with so many variables around a new league it's not like other leagues where the best player is inevitably a target. I really hope i'm wrong though.

23 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I don't think Borges will go to MLS at the end of this season. But I do think he will be sold by CPL and be the first big CPL success story in that regard.

Perhaps others who follow MLS more closely can correct me but my impression is that they are very tight fisted when it comes to transfers, paying out very little and always asking over the odds for any of their players. In which case a more reasonable club is likely to come up with a better offer than MLS.

Yes, indeed. I'd rather him try his luck in a smaller European League, maybe Sweden or Denmark. See if he can keep an upward trajectory.

I'm afraid MLS would be a dead end dream for a lot of CPL stars, young or experienced. The CPL is doing so well, in part, because MLS did such a poor job managing and giving PT to their prospects in the first place, the Canadian clubs included.

I think it's still too small a sample size to be expecting a transfer fee at this point, but if Borges continues to impress he'll certainly garner some attention abroad. He already has some experience in Europe, and must have an EU passport? I hope that clubs are careful with these early transfers away from the league as they will set the precedent for future sales. Let's make sure that the players are truly prepared to move up, and then find the right situation for them.

Edited by Aird25

I also wonder how keen any club will be to weaken their roster for a quick, and likely modest, financial bump this early on in the league's tenure.  Take Borges as the example.  Will Forge be anxious to sell him, knowing that getting a replacement that makes a similar level of contribution on a CPL budget extremely difficult?  They are still trying to establish a solid core of players and know they will likely be chasing Cavalry for titles for the next little bit.  

I get that this will be a selling league for a long long time, but I am not sure if that is the optimal strategy for year 2.  Maybe it is better to try and hold on to the gems right now and use them to establish a strong team/league identity...?  That isn't to say that a club should stand in the way of a transfer if the player really wants out and someone is willing to come in and splash the cash, but that is a very different situation than clubs immediately looking at who they can out in the shop window and move out - especially as we ponder this in the buildup to the very first open transfer window before year 1 is even half done.

Borges and Ingham are the two that standout this early on, but there is still a lot of season to play. 

From our side, I don't think there are realistically any at this point. However, I predict Langwa will make an upward move sometime in the next few years. He has talent, and I think Hart will really do well developing him. My favourite Wanderers player so far for sure! 

I wonder if the CPL teams playing in the CONCACAF champions league qualifiers could be a way for more foreign clubs to get a gauge on the playing levels of our players? We could potentially see more players moving abroad but staying in the Americas. 

11 hours ago, nolando said:

Yes, indeed. I'd rather him try his luck in a smaller European League, maybe Sweden or Denmark. See if he can keep an upward trajectory.

I'm afraid MLS would be a dead end dream for a lot of CPL stars, young or experienced. The CPL is doing so well, in part, because MLS did such a poor job managing and giving PT to their prospects in the first place, the Canadian clubs included.

MLS has a hard time developing prospects because they currently get very little playing time. I think the guys getting playing time and developing in the CPL should have an easier time transitioning into MLS if that's the trajectory their careers take. I think a guy even like Bekker could very well come back into the MLS fold if he does well enough at Forge.

Edited by Macksam

20 minutes ago, Macksam said:

MLS has a hard time developing prospects because they currently get very little playing time. I think the guys getting playing time and developing in the CPL should have an easier time transitioning into MLS if that's the trajectory their careers take. I think a guy even like Bekker could very well come back into the MLS fold if he does well enough at Forge.

I wouldnt be surprised if he already did get  MLS buzz after last season.  He has 50 MLS apperances and was coming off a very successful USL season, why wouldnt he be on MLS radar?  I think coming back to Bobby S, being the face of a new team/league in your home country won out.  Over a 15 appearance, 1000min season mainly riding the pine in MLS for league minimum at 28.  I think it will be easier for the younger guys (Borges) to make a quick jump after a good CPL showing.  

8 hours ago, Big_M said:

Theres no going back to mls for bekker..did very well in usl nasl past two years and didnt go back..at 29 best days behind him

Really? Seems like last year was his best, and he is doing pretty well this year.  Its not like speed is a big part of his game.  

7 hours ago, Lofty said:

It is the players and their agents who will drive the transfers, not the clubs.

Sure, sometimes a club will have no say in the matter. Davies was leaving Vancouver regardless of whether they wanted to keep him or not. If a bigger club throws their weight around for a CPL player, than so be it, but lets not pretend like that's always the case. Particularly in North American sports

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Really? Seems like last year was his best, and he is doing pretty well this year.  Its not like speed is a big part of his game.  

I disagree. He has looked good for 1-2 games this season. Although I’m sure he should get more consistent, but I definitely don’t see a stand out player in Bekker in this league so far. 

You have to start somewhere. Getting players to higher levels while raising the overall quality of the league shouldn't be mutually exclusive. Anything over $50k or with a sell-on clause is probably worth looking at for these clubs. You need to build a rapport with the agencies and be a place where young players on the rise can showcase their skills. I only takes a few players working out in the 2nd tier markets (Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Portugal, Austria, etc.) and you can create a pathway for both good domestic and foreign talent. Scandinavia has been doing this, we should be able to as well.

54 minutes ago, Lofty said:

There are really only two reasons for a club to drive a player transfer: to cash in or to ship out.

As mentioned by someone else above, the relatively small amount of cash that might be received by "cashing in" is not likely to be worth it. And if the amount of cash is likely to be large, then the player is much too good for CPL and will be driving the transfer.

As for "shipping out", that implies the player is not working out so he will hardly be moving up.

As I'm frequently the one arguing for Canadian clubs to try to retain their best players I'm not sure why you've chosen a post of mine to make this point.

Regardless, I disagree with your assessment. For many in NA it seems that transfers to more established clubs in Europe are the only way to legitimize our development pathway. That's why I think many clubs/players/fans are encouraged by lateral moves to Europe, even though it frequently means that the player receives less than preferential treatment once they get there. These are the moves that I would discourage. I'd prefer to have our players competing at home unless they've obviously outgrown the league and they can garner a transfer fee and move up a level. That's how we get better

Edited by Aird25

4 hours ago, Lofty said:

I quoted you because I did not agree with your implication ("...let's not pretend that is always the case...") that CPL clubs will drive player transfers and my post was in response to that point. I'm not trying to pick on you!

I'm also not taking a position on what I think is best; I'm just commenting on what I think will happen.

Your post above says that you disagree with what I said but I can't find anything in there that contradicts it as I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said there.

To summarize, my only point was that it is CPL players and their agents who will drive CPL player transfers, not the CPL clubs (for the reasons I specified above). And I really don't see CPL clubs initiating lateral player transfers to Europe for the sake of player development; I think they will look after themselves and try to hang on to their best players. If our development pathway needs to be legitimized (I'm not sure why) then I really don't think it will be CPL.clubs doing it.

I’m not sure we’re disagreeing on much apart from semantics. I agree that players and agents will be the ones ‘driving’ player transfers, but clubs still play a significant role in the process as they are similarly negotiating with those players and agents. My point was that we shouldn’t pretend that CPL clubs aren’t utterly powerless in determining whether a player leaves or not. If the player is happy with their deal they are less likely to leave. The ‘Caps probably could have kept Kianz Froese if they had provided him with more playing time and a higher salary, but they didn’t. Now he’s in Germany, and at this point I don’t think it was a particularly good move for either party.

I disagreed that the two reasons you suggested (cashing in or shipping out) were the only ones for a club to move a player on. I suggested perception and image as another reason, particularly in a brand new league. Clubs may be more willing to move players on if they feel it will help them establish a place in the transfer market or improve their reputation as a club that can help players advance in their careers. 

Edited by Aird25