Should Canada boycott the WC in Qatar 2022?

Ams1984

Given all that we’ve learned about how the bid was ‘won’ (bribery and illegal PR against the other bids) in addition to the abismal conditions resulting in near-slave labour being used to construct the venues, as well as Qatar’s inability (despite their bid’s promises) to host a summer WC, it’s clear that they shouldn’t be hosting WC 2022. 

But can anything be done about it? Though it’s by no means guaranteed that Canada will qualify for the WC, shouldn’t we take a stand against this travesty? Shouldn’t the CSA protest by boycotting this farce? If nothing else, it might cause other countries who value the rule of law to think about doing the same. If enough pressure were to be applied by a few FAs, this wrong could be redressed. In any event, whether it works or not, isn’t taking a moral stand it’s own victory?

36 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Though it’s by no means guaranteed that Canada will qualify for the WC, shouldn’t we take a stand against this travesty?

1) Let's try and qualify first.

2) IF we qualify, the we can worry about the questionable morality of supporting such an event.

Bump this thread in 2 years?

/end thread (for now).

6 hours ago, ted said:

If you want us to be bumped from the co-hosting of the 2026 edition, go right ahead.

The right thing doesn’t cease to be right because it’s inconvenient. You’d rather enable slave labour and corruption than maybe offend FIFA and risk (probably not) an already awarded joint bid? FIFA should be ashamed, they should be pussy footing around the issue, not us. Sorry, not buying the argument for not stepping on toes here. 

7 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

1) Let's try and qualify first.

2) IF we qualify, the we can worry about the questionable morality of supporting such an event.

Bump this thread in 2 years?

/end thread (for now).

I get what you’re saying, but a pressure campaign builds up incrementally and takes time to work. FIFA could still be pressured into giving the World Cup to England or whoever,  it if nobody stands up and demands it until six hours before the competition, it won’t even be possible. 

In seriousness, my thinking is this: there are a thousand things we could/should be doing if we wanted to fight injustice and immorality.  Don't buy from sweatshop brands.  Eat organic, local or fair trade food.  Don't use oil and gas unless you know it is sourced from free democratic countries.  Don't exacerbate carbon emissions by doing frivolous things like posting on chat forums and traveling to watch contrived sporting competitions.  Don't use plastic.  Ever.   Fight corruption by boycotting organizations with a history of it.  Etc.

The situation in Qatar is probably pretty bad.  But I honestly doubt it is worse than the many things most of us regularly enable through our consumption choices.  And personally, if I was going to draw a line in the sand and actually take a stand on something, corruption at FIFA is waaaaaay down the list of things to get up in arms about.  Worker rights and conditions in Qatar is potentially more egregious, but is probably no worse than a whole slew of things we support through short sighted consumption choices we make everyday.

So in my current frame of mind, I am not going to choose right now (when we are actually getting good at footy and have a chance to accomplish something) to take a stand on this one thing (FIFA and it's very real flaws).

What is really interesting is FIFA is actually a registered "non-profit organization" in Switzerland. 

I would have to look into Swiss Law and International law, however my quick understanding is that all federal/government organizations in Switzerland  " observe international law".  

With that being said... what, if any, "international laws" were broken by Qatar and or FIFA? What are the restrictions/by-laws that prevent a non-profit organization in Switzerland from participating in illegal activity? One would assume the Swiss government does not allow Swiss non-profits to participate in illegal activity?.

I know FIFA said they are hosting in Qatar regardless, but it would be very interesting if say a top 5 euro nation stepped in offering to host... followed by say a full investigation by the International Criminal Court ( The ICC has jurisdiction to prosecute individuals for the international crimes of genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes, and crimes of aggression. )

I feel like this discussion is only getting started... this will probably be my first and last post on this issue here. On this forum I only care about our CMNT players.

This is way more a Canadian Government/ political conversation @Ams1984 and there are way better areas and avenues to address and discuss your concerns. Good luck.

Please close thread, I don't see this ending well.

Edited by apbsmith

49 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

it if nobody stands up and demands it until six hours before the competition, it won’t even be possible. 

Our voice doesn't matter until we qualify because we are not expected to. Even if we wanted to, boycotting now would be like Qatar boycotting the World Hockey Championship. Nobody cares.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

54 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

What is really interesting is FIFA is actually a registered "non-profit organization" in Switzerland. 

I would have to look into Swiss Law and International law, however my quick understanding is that all federal/government organizations in Switzerland  " observe international law".  

With that being said... what, if any, "international laws" were broken by Qatar and or FIFA? What are the restrictions/by-laws that prevent a non-profit organization in Switzerland from participating in illegal activity? One would assume the Swiss government does not allow Swiss non-profits to participate in illegal activity?.

I know FIFA said they are hosting in Qatar regardless, but it would be very interesting if say a top 5 euro nation stepped in offering to host... followed by say a full investigation by the International Criminal Court ( The ICC has jurisdiction to prosecute individuals for the international crimes of genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes, and crimes of aggression. )

I feel like this discussion is only getting started... this will probably be my first and last post on this issue here. On this forum I only care about our CMNT players.

This is way more a Canadian Government/ political conversation @Ams1984 and there are way better areas and avenues to address and discuss your concerns. Good luck.

Please close thread, I don't see this ending well.

I have no idea how to do that. Anyways, this isn’t politics, it’s about soccer, or rather it’s at least related to our participation in a soccer tournament. I’m not sure where else this discussion belongs. We’re Canadian soccer fans, the CSA is in a way representing us, and to it at least, our opinions on this issue should matter. It’s no different from discussing Concacaf reform (which many of us did after our region’s corruption scandal). 

2 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

Anyways, this isn’t politics, it’s about soccer, or rather it’s at least related to our participation in a soccer tournament. I’m not sure where else this discussion belongs. We’re Canadian soccer fans, the CSA is in a way representing us, and to it at least, our opinions on this issue should matter.

No sorry, any decision is and would be 99.9% political.

Look at the 1980 Olympic Boycott by Canada and other nations. 100% this was not a decision made by the COC (Canadian Olympic Committee) but our own federal government. I wrote a massive research paper on the boycott, it was a personal matter for me as my idol/coach actually qualified for the 1980 Olympics but obviously did not get to compete. He missed qualifying in 76 & 84 by one spot,  heart breaking, and for what purpose?

If there were to be a World Cup boycott, sure you might think the CSA, it's fans etc. would have a voice/opinion, and perhaps you believe that voice/opinion would matter, that's okay if you think that way. Ultimately any decision would be 99.9% political on a federal level from a foreign affairs perspective. 

There is a federal election this fall, call your MP and/or the one's running in your riding, ask them what they are going to do about it. That's where this discussion regarding international human right violations or possible crimes against humanity belong and the political decision to boycott a tournament. 

Federal and international political opinions are not meant for a men's national team and it's players discussion forum. You made the thread tile "SHOULD CANADA boycott....."

*I'm not disagreeing with you that the situation is messed up, just this isn't the place for it. Good luck.*

Edited by apbsmith

12 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

No sorry, any decision is and would be 99.9% political.

Look at the 1980 Olympic Boycott by Canada and other nations. 100% this was not a decision made by the COC (Canadian Olympic Committee) but our own federal government. I wrote a massive research paper on the boycott, it was a personal matter for me as my idol/coach actually qualified for the 1980 Olympics but obviously did not get to compete. He missed qualifying in 76 & 84 by one spot,  heart breaking, and for what purpose?

If there were to be a World Cup boycott, sure you might think the CSA, it's fans etc. would have a voice/opinion, and perhaps you believe that voice/opinion would matter, that's okay if you think that way. Ultimately any decision would be 99.9% political on a federal level from a foreign affairs perspective. 

There is a federal election this fall, call your MP and/or the one's running in your riding, ask them what they are going to do about it. That's where this discussion regarding international human right violations or possible crimes against humanity belong and the political decision to boycott a tournament belongs. 

Federal and international political opinions are not meant for a men's national team and it's players discussion forum. You made the thread tile "SHOULD CANADA boycott....."

*I'm not disagreeing with you the situation is messed up, just this isn't the place for it. Good luck.*

Fair suggestion. I will call my MP. Doubt they’ll give a fig, but worth a try. 

I think in all likelihood, most large tournament bids since the beginning of FIFA have been awarded to the highest bidder. Hopefully 2026 is the start of something new. Although, Mexico and USA new full well that Canada intended on hosting all by their lonesome. Canada actually put it out there in the media at least a year before anyone else. 

Maybe we should boycott if they don't get rid of Warner and Blatter from FIFA before the World Cup ...

Seriously ... this happened in 2010. A lot has happened since then - including the equally corrupt award to Russia for 2018. And Canada being awarded the (joint) 2026 World Cup.

Edited by nfitz

38 minutes ago, Kent said:

Honestly I think it would hurt the players, the fans, and not Qatar.

Absolutely, assuming we qualify, the boycott would not hurt Qatar, it would hurt the Canadian soccer program, and for some players it would be there one and only chance to appear in a World Cup.  Just like the Russian Olympic boycott hurt the many athletes who trained for their whole life up to that point and for some missed their only chance.  Boycotts rarely have any impact, especially when you mix sports and politics.   A useless gesture.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM