Match Thread: May 25 2019 - Cavalry FC v. HFX Wanderers

Man. Cavalry is (rightfully) running away with the Spring season. It's going to be hard to prevent them from getting the 6-10 more points that they need to properly lock it down. 

My Wanderers on the other hand... pretty painful to watch. Not having our primary goal scorer for the majority of the year has been tough, but that's not a good enough excuse. If we are this impotent on offense without Perea we have a serious issues to address. I don't know what the summer transfer window will be like but I hope we bring someone else in. 

HFX parked the bus but Cavalry just went around it. The technical limitations of Langwa and Bona were very apparent. Being fast and egressive means nothing if you have poor composure and can’t get out of tight areas or pick the right pass.  Schaale lost his mojo too and keeps going unnecessary long.  Simmons was one  bright spark for me, keeps his shape and always available with sharp quick interplay but defenders were often too slow in getting the Ball to him. He definitely adds quality to the midfield but would like to see him and John together. The team will never dominate possession until individuals start making the right passing decisions under pressure with far more consistently.

2 hours ago, Copes said:

Man. Cavalry is (rightfully) running away with the Spring season. It's going to be hard to prevent them from getting the 6-10 more points that they need to properly lock it down. 

My Wanderers on the other hand... pretty painful to watch. Not having our primary goal scorer for the majority of the year has been tough, but that's not a good enough excuse. If we are this impotent on offense without Perea we have a serious issues to address. I don't know what the summer transfer window will be like but I hope we bring someone else in. 

Im hoping for the same thing maybe picking up an offensive piece or 2 on from a transfer or even on loan. We have played 6 matches and have been shut out 4 times including at home against Vaughn.

We have some good players with some good individual skill but there is not offensive flow. No chemistry at all. Not to mention I hate seeing 6 defenders starting in Calgary when we desperately need some offensive output. Two of the guys I felt have have provided a little offensive spark Lida and Kourouma were on the bench.

That being said I dont want to seem as if i'm second guessing Hart he has more soccer knowledge in his baby toe then I have all together. Guys may have knocks, he may be managing minutes, trying out combos that worked well in training ect...  However I really would like to see a move to strengthen our attacking so that this season is not a write off.

7 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Im hoping for the same thing maybe picking up an offensive piece or 2 on from a transfer or even on loan. We have played 6 matches and have been shut out 4 times including at home against Vaughn.

We have some good players with some good individual skill but there is not offensive flow. No chemistry at all. Not to mention I hate seeing 6 defenders starting in Calgary when we desperately need some offensive output. Two of the guys I felt have have provided a little offensive spark Lida and Kourouma were on the bench.

That being said I dont want to seem as if i'm second guessing Hart he has more soccer knowledge in his baby toe then I have all together. Guys may have knocks, he may be managing minutes, trying out combos that worked well in training ect...  However I really would like to see a move to strengthen our attacking so that this season is not a write off.

Thats my main issue - I don't want to question Hart. For all I know his entire plan is to use the Spring season to try things so he can make a run at the Summer season. I don't particularly like that strategy... but in the first year I'm putting my feelings aside and just supporting the team. 

But maaaan... personally, having seen 6 games and 6 different lineups, I don't like a lot of what he is trying even if it is experimental, its stuff like playing defenders in the midfield that I just really dont like. That doesn't inherently seem like something that is going to solve the problems we are facing early in the season. 

I expected more. I still hope we eventually see it. 

At the end of the day just like the league itself clubs are a work in progress that will have vision years in advance. Pacific are certainly taking the Oilers buy young and pay dividends down the line. So far its also as successful as the Oilers. 

For clubs like Halifax without a large local player pool and infrastructure to rely on I'd think its a) keep one eye on building for the future. While b) try and be as competitive as possible in the first year. 

It is however playing with fine margins as to grow and maintain a fanbase that will attend you have to have a decent and competitive standard of play on field. 

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

At the end of the day just like the league itself clubs are a work in progress that will have vision years in advance. Pacific are certainly taking the Oilers buy young and pay dividends down the line...

Soccer players have free agency at the end of their contract under FIFA rules, so the parallels with the NHL are far from exact. Think Pacific appear to have done that in part because they spent more than they probably should have on a trio of older ex-CMNT players, who are living off past reputation at this stage of their career, and it limited their options on filling out the rest of their roster.

You didn't hear that the last club in the league gets first USports pick every year?

You are likely correct on Pacific although they also had the "local" rhetoric and trying to pick players from the area. That aside they do have some very talented younger players that in terms of a long game should set them well if they stick together and improve.

On 5/26/2019 at 8:29 PM, toontownman said:

At the end of the day just like the league itself clubs are a work in progress that will have vision years in advance. Pacific are certainly taking the Oilers buy young and pay dividends down the line. So far its also as successful as the Oilers. 

For clubs like Halifax without a large local player pool and infrastructure to rely on I'd think its a) keep one eye on building for the future. While b) try and be as competitive as possible in the first year. 

It is however playing with fine margins as to grow and maintain a fanbase that will attend you have to have a decent and competitive standard of play on field. 

This year much of the domestic recruiting came from former impact academy players. That connection gets even looser and the "local" pool gets even smaller when Laval (and potentially Quebec City) come into play.