Sign in to follow this  
narduch

Match Thread - May 22nd 2019 - HFX Wanderers v. Vaughan Azzurri

Kick-off is at 5pm EST (6pm local).

Wanderers are in the driver's seat after winning 3-2 on the road last week.

The winner takes on Valour FC in the next round.

5 halves of soccer played between CPL and D3 teams over 2 different match ups. Both of them are tied at this point. Encouraging for D3, but not a great look for CPL. Hopefully HFX and York 9 can get the results they need to avoid some embarrassment.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

5 halves of soccer played between CPL and D3 teams over 2 different match ups. Both of them are tied at this point. Encouraging for D3, but not a great look for CPL. Hopefully HFX and York 9 can get the results they need to avoid some embarrassment.

I wouldn't put to much weight on this. Montreal (USL) did beat TFC after all and upsets happens all around the world.

However, I don't get where this "arrogance" of taking them lightly comes from. Williams should have been the keeper for obvious reasons. Hart will need to seriously readjust his team at halftime and for the fall season. Too thin...

York needs to play like they are capable off.

Posted (edited)

lol does gutierrez think they are down? 15min to go ball goes out for a vaughan throw and he rushes to pick it up and give it to vaughan player

Edited by Big_M

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I disagree.

Weird things happen in Cup competitions.

Plus to me it shows we have the player depth to expand the league.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I disagree.

Weird things happen in Cup competitions.

Plus to me it shows we have the player depth to expand the league.

I agree with the the weird things happen in cup competitions, and about the player depth. But my argument is that it would be nice for CPL to establish itself enough for this to be a weird thing before it happens, instead of giving ammo to anyone who might think it's amateur soccer masquerading as pro soccer. If CPL were to have come out of the gate and lose to both of it's first round D3 teams, that wouldn't look great. I'd rather see the "weird things" happening at the other end of the spectrum, with CPL teams beating Ottawa and/or an MLS team.

Wanderers are through though so that is good news.

22 minutes ago, Kent said:

I agree with the the weird things happen in cup competitions, and about the player depth. But my argument is that it would be nice for CPL to establish itself enough for this to be a weird thing before it happens, instead of giving ammo to anyone who might think it's amateur soccer masquerading as pro soccer. If CPL were to have come out of the gate and lose to both of it's first round D3 teams, that wouldn't look great. I'd rather see the "weird things" happening at the other end of the spectrum, with CPL teams beating Ottawa and/or an MLS team.

Wanderers are through though so that is good news.

York 9 through as well, so mission accomplished.  Not that it was a dominant victory or anything, but two of the teams that most people had pegged among the weaker CPL teams (and bottom 2 in the standings) just advanced against the 2 best teams from the next level down on the soccer pyramid.  That isn't bad.  And based on the play so far, the CPLS clubs moving on from the next round may be another step up - hopefully enough to get past Ottawa and show decently against the Caps and Impact in the next round.

As much as I was initially "internet outraged" at the V Cup format this year, it does potentially set things up nicely for the top 3 CPL teams (currently, in the standings) to represent the league well against tough opponents.  

17 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

York 9 through as well, so mission accomplished.  Not that it was a dominant victory or anything, but two of the teams that most people had pegged among the weaker CPL teams (and bottom 2 in the standings) just advanced against the 2 best teams from the next level down on the soccer pyramid.  That isn't bad.  And based on the play so far, the CPLS clubs moving on from the next round may be another step up - hopefully enough to get past Ottawa and show decently against the Caps and Impact in the next round.

As much as I was initially "internet outraged" at the V Cup format this year, it does potentially set things up nicely for the top 3 CPL teams (currently, in the standings) to represent the league well against tough opponents.  

I'm still outraged. It sucks that I had to cheer against the D3 teams this year. I mean, with a better format I probably still would have been cheering against them, but if they were drawn against Ottawa or an MLS team I would have been cheering for them for sure.

I was watching a bit of the Vaughan vs HFX game and my 4 year old daughter came to see what I was doing. I said I was cheering for the blue team and asked which team she was cheering for. She said the one with the red shorts because it's Canada. I then explained where they were both from and had the realization that she had the moral high road on me for supporting local soccer (I live in the GTA, so should theoretically be cheering for Vaughan) :)

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm still outraged. It sucks that I had to cheer against the D3 teams this year. I mean, with a better format I probably still would have been cheering against them, but if they were drawn against Ottawa or an MLS team I would have been cheering for them for sure.

I was watching a bit of the Vaughan vs HFX game and my 4 year old daughter came to see what I was doing. I said I was cheering for the blue team and asked which team she was cheering for. She said the one with the red shorts because it's Canada. I then explained where they were both from and had the realization that she had the moral high road on me for supporting local soccer (I live in the GTA, so should theoretically be cheering for Vaughan) :)

Better than my kid who, at 5 or 6 years old, told me he was cheering for Honduras just because he wanted to go for the other guys.

And yes, it was that game.  Little bugger was bad luck...