Sign in to follow this  
Unnamed Trialist

WNT Pre World Cup Thread

1 hour ago, The Ref said:

We had Chapman for that position.  Sesselmann natural position was forward, hence the problem was created by Herdman slotting her in defense.

Chapman was long gone after the 2012 Olympics. I think she played one year after the Olympics in NWSL and that was it. I don't know if it was her decision of the CSA's decision on moving on. However, they had to play most of the group stage iwthout her and Sesselmann stepped up. Yes, she had a poor Women's World Cup in 2015, but it's not like we had great defenders to back her. Could they have moved on from certain defenders or tried someone like Kaylyn Kyle who was at a point starting at centre back over a Canadian national team centre back on her club team? But, that was the only thing that I thought maybe that could be better.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Ref said:

We had Chapman for that position.  Sesselmann natural position was forward, hence the problem was created by Herdman slotting her in defense.

Chapman played left back in that game.  Sesselmann was a center back.  Our only other options for center back were Zurrer and Moscato.  I liked Moscato, but I think she was getting too old at that point.

Edit: Oops.  Not sure which Chapman we are talking about here.  I was talking about the one who was still playing at the time.

Edited by rkomar

I thought Sesselmann did a good job as an LB, especially with providing service from the wing when on the attack.  She didn't have great recovery pace (knee issues didn't help) but she was a good tackler.  I thought she did quite well being slotted into an emergency (at the time) CB at London in 2012, including her run and cross which set up the winner in the bronze medal match.  She was coming back from a long knee injury layoff prior to WWC 2015 so I'm not surprised rustiness and confidence were a problem but I thought it was telling that Herdman persisted with her instead of other veterans (Moscato, Chapman, Gayle) to partner Buchanan.  Also notable:  there probably was some dissension because of this but it seemed to stay in the dressing room (I couldn't imagine that happening with our men's squad:  we'd see somebody beaking off in a sulky manner with, "You'll have to ask the manager," when asked by a media member).

Both the Dutch and Kiwis are going into the tournament on a high note.  It's not going to be easy for us to get out of the group.  I hope there's more chemistry between our attackers than earlier in the year.

9 hours ago, rkomar said:

I remember my feelings about Sesselmann were different.  We had no one better for the position, so I was grateful that she was there.  She was quick and brave, and not afraid to head the ball, which was uncommon among the rest of the defenders of the time.  And it's not like she stepped on the ball most of the time it came to her.  It was a one-off blunder, so I can forgive that.

Right after the tournament, our young up-and-comers played in the Panam games.  They showed well, but weren't good enough to beat the better teams in that tournament.  So, they definitely weren't ready to replace the players we had in the World Cup at that time.

I would hate for anyone to think I have anything less than massive respect for Lauren Sesselmann. She pulled on the Canada shirt and gave her all. There is nothing to forgive.

That said, she was simply not a very good footballer. Not her fault, she tried her best. It comes back to me now that she did something else on the pitch that I have only seen beginners do; I'm not positive but I think it was to stop the ball during open play and then take a couple of steps back before running forward and kicking it. Anyone who has played for more than a few weeks would simply push the ball forwards to get moving and then kick it. It was almost as though she didn't have the confidence to kick a moving ball.

Anyway, I'll leave it there. I only brought it up as an example to support a general point, not to dwell on it. I don't want to derail this thread with past World Cups when we have one in our immediate future to look forward to!

5 hours ago, rkomar said:

Chapman played left back in that game.  Sesselmann was a center back.  Our only other options for center back were Zurrer and Moscato.  I liked Moscato, but I think she was getting too old at that point.

Edit: Oops.  Not sure which Chapman we are talking about here.  I was talking about the one who was still playing at the time.

I was talking of Allysha Chapman not Candace Chapman.

18 hours ago, The Ref said:

I was talking of Allysha Chapman not Candace Chapman.

And when has she played Centreback? I'm not sure that playing Allysha Chapman at centreback where our options at leftback would have been a recovering Marie-Eve Nault who probably didn't have 90 minutes in her legs at the time. TheAshley Lawrence fullback experiment hadn't been attempted at the time and I don't think I'd try to experiment on a player in the knockout stage.

3 hours ago, Blackdude said:

And when has she played Centreback? I'm not sure that playing Allysha Chapman at centreback where our options at leftback would have been a recovering Marie-Eve Nault who probably didn't have 90 minutes in her legs at the time. TheAshley Lawrence fullback experiment hadn't been attempted at the time and I don't think I'd try to experiment on a player in the knockout stage.

A. Chapman played left back.

6 minutes ago, The Ref said:

A. Chapman played left back.

I know, that's why I mentioned the options at left back if you put Chapman at centre back instead of Sesselmann.