Match Thread - May 15th 2019 - A.S. Blainville vs York 9

Tried to flip between both matches while doing chores and giving my son a bath. 

Kudos to OneSoccer with their excellent production of these matches. 

York 9 could face an early elimination. Blainville didn't look out of place. 

Crowd looked great. CSA should consider expanding the tournament even if the CPL doesn't expand. 

Edited by narduch

I missed more than half of the first half, but honestly that game was pretty boring. York 9 retained a lot of possession, but it was all pretty meaningless. Aside from the header that was cleared off the line in the first half, I don't remember them really scaring Blainville much at all. There was one play in the second half when it fell to a York 9 player in the box, but he couldn't control fast enough to get a shot off. That was about it.

Enjoyed the game, field level view of the game in the "VIP" section, can't beat free food and wine, while Blainville had the better scoring chances, the difference in level was obvious.  Did i mention there was free wine?  I think York9 will take it at home, spoke with Porter and Estevez after the game.  I would say about 600-800 attendance, supporters section very active...free wine...Samuel Piette at the game.

Not much creativity by midfield and forwards. It was possession for the sake of it and tons of passing back.

I saw them play nervous for too much of the game but settling in later on.

AS Blainville was much more threatening, more physical, bigger and very organized defensively. They had the better chances offensively when they arise.

York 9 had their "A-Team" in there where you can argue that Halifax did not. York is the closest team to me so I keep support them until a North York club on day but I'm not buying what York 9 is selling. They will need to change in the off season for 2020. 

On paper, they should be much better than this...maybe it's the coaching?

Edited by Ansem

That was the best Y9's looked this season so far, holding onto possession at will, relieving the heavy pressure the defense and Ingham has been under during the two league matches. However, this was against PLSQ opposition, though very likely the best D3 team in Canada, and Y9 also had a lot of turnovers that led to chances for Blainville. A few match notes, I'll put it in bullet points so that it's easier to read.

• 3-4-1-2 all game, same as vs. Hamilton, with Estevez in the hole
  • Abzi was given a homecoming start at LWB, but Telfer is maybe the starter for league matches. Abzi was the focal point of the attack 1st half, showed lots of confidence, could have sought to play more 1-2's with Estevez, Murofushi or Adjei
  • Conversely, Adjei and Estevez and Gattas could all have tried to come show for the ball to play more 1-2's when the fullbacks were attacking, especially Abzi. The strikers would sometimes just take positions where it was hard for them to receive a short pass or a ball over the top, though of course they did also take good positions often as well
  • Gattas tried to make the play flow often but his passes were sometimes predictable and snuffed out. He showed good effort, so I hope he shows even more confidence moving forward and feel free to dribble and beat a guy before he passes the ball. Gattas also showed late game that he can cut in from the right blank and shoot the ball
  • I really liked the mid trio, but they are maybe all too similar. Very comfortable and silky with the ball, though got caught a couple times each, and were too cautious sometimes, passing back instead of thrusting forward on counters. Could also make a bit more runs into box as well, with and without the ball
  • Gogarty played some excellent balls over the top all game long. My MotM for Y9
  • Commentator showed too much positive bias towards Gasparotto. He kept misidentifying Gogarty and Springer whenever they did something good or bad. Any time a Y9 CB did something good, he said it was Gasparotto, and any time a Y9 CB did something bad, he said it was Springer or Gogarty. That was some bad media bias there. In truth, all 3 CBs had some good moments and a couple bad moments. Gasparotto had a backpass nearly picked off that was misattributed to Springer, for example
  • The best chances Y9 gave up this match was due to turnovers in our half
  • The best chances Y9 squandered this match was due to miscontrolled long passes in the opposition box
  • After seeing this team closely for 3 matches, I don't think that Y9 has to absolutely stick with a front two. I get why Y9 sticks with the back 5, to allow Telfer and Porter to play wingbacks. But with the front two, you are losing a lot of that connectivity between the strikers and the mids, if one of them doesn't really get in between the two lines
  • I wonder if this team could try a 3-4-2-1, with the usual back 5, and the usual mids. But maybe try a lone tall striker such as Adjei or Cox or Rollocks up top, and with maybe guys like Aparicio or Gattas or Estevez or Murofushi or Ricci as the two AMs, and with guys like Aparicio, Murofushi or Di Chiara or Furlano or Zambazis as the two DMs
  • For example, Y9 (3-4-2-1) - Ingham; Springer, Gasparotto, Gogarty; Porter, Di Chiara/Furlano, Aparicio, Telfer; Gattas/Estevez, Murofushi/Ricci; Adjei/Cox/Rollocks
Edited by ironcub14

On 5/15/2019 at 11:55 PM, Ansem said:

Not much creativity by midfield and forwards. It was possession for the sake of it and tons of passing back.

This. It felt like York 9 had the ball almost the whole game, and never seemed like they might score.