Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread--May 16, 2019--Valour vs Forge **CLQ**

2 hours ago, johnyb said:

I agree and for personal reasons I was hoping for more Weeknight games but remains to be seen if this strategy works for soccer. A lot more kids play Soccer than Football and Kids (more importantly Parents with kids) are busy on weekenights. Early days, I for one would sacrifice a couple weekends or games if the weekend games sell better. As you mentioned this summer will be the real test.

Yes, I agree that the CPL fan base is likely to be much younger than the CFL fan base (which bodes well for CPL!), so the best scheduling strategy may very well be different.

An entertaining half, Forge has played quite well,Valour had 2 really good chances to score, Forge have to make more of their attacking possession!

Good finish to the game.  2-0 and Borges long distance shot was fantastic.  Both he and Novak could have easily had a brace so Valour was lucky to only have 2 put against them.

Novak was MoM and it seems he’s taking the starting striker position from Welshman which is interesting.  

Another entertaining game, and I am pleased with a win for Forge in the race for CONCACAF Champions League. 

Novak appears to be a solid option up top. I can see him scoring a good few goals this year. Borges with a quality finish to punish Valour after a turnover. Exciting play from a number of the Canadian boys while the imports are quietly upping their game with solid play on both sides of the ball. This is going to be a fun summer. 

23 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

Why hasn't the game shown up on onesoccer?

I don't think they post them right away. 

It is being replayed currently on their live channel. Midway through the first half

Posted (edited)

Good win by Forge, they looked much more cohesive than Valour and certainly offered more going forward. Lovely goal by Borges but Farago's positioning was a bit suspect. First goal was well taken too, although not many teams can contrive to concede a goal from their own corner kick. After that nearly happened a second time I was starting to wonder whether Valour should simply start to decline corner kicks. Which would be in keeping with my observation that Valour set pieces thus far this season have been an absolute joke.

Three centre forwards on the books and the one who starts is....none of them. Garcia has a very solid first half...and is promptly substituted. WTF is going on?

Anyway, my MOTM for Valour was Gutiérrez Zuñiga but once again it could easily have been Sacramento who has been a very solid performer every match.

Edited by Lofty

2 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Good win by Forge, they looked much more cohesive than Valour and certainly offered more going forward. Lovely goal by Borges but Farago's positioning was a bit suspect. First goal was well taken too, although not many teams can contrive to concede a goal from their own corner kick. After that nearly happened a second yime I was starting to wonder whether Valour should simply start to decline corner kicks.

Three centre forwards on the books and the one who starts is....none of them. Garcia has a very solid first half...and is promptly substituted. WTF is going on?

Anyway, my MOTM for Valour was Gutierrez but once again it could easily have been Sacramento.

The cameras didn't show it however Borges in the post match interview mentions the ball took a deflection, that's tough for the keeper!

23 hours ago, jonovision said:

At the risk of derailing this match day thread, are there any Winnipeg parents of youth soccer players that can inform whether group sales are being marketed to youth clubs?

Surprisingly, NO. 3 kids in soccer and not a single group buying email. Could just be that my club is planning a game later in the year. I noticed a team my son plays against there last night. 

These are the 2 teams I have enjoyed watching the most so far in this young season. When I watch Valour play I see them do a lot of good things, I don't think their record is an accurate reflection of their play. If they get Petrasso, Hoyle, Bustos and Golubar all on the field together, they will have success.

I thought LBG was not his usual steady self last night.

What was with the uniform colours? Was really hard to tell them apart on the broadcast. Would have been much better if Forge was wearing Orange.