Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Match Thread--May 16, 2019--Valour vs Forge **CLQ**

Early Valour team news: Still awaiting news on Golubar's scan so don't expect to see him. Sounded as though Mitter's shoulder needs some time so don't expect to see him either. Petrasso is a more interesting case. Hamstrings are finicky things so with a two week break coming up, the smart thing to do would certainly be to not risk him tweaking it again now and being out for 6-8 weeks. I suspect he will be on the subs bench and possibly come in late if needed.

As for who will start, Rob Gale is a hard man to predict. Assuming 3421:

Keeper: Farago was great against Pacific but not as strong in the next two. Janssens was great in his debut. I'd probably pick Janssens but I think Rob will go with Farago.

Defence: Obviously Thomas. Garcia did enough against HFX to make me believe he can play in a back 3 but it really all hinges on whether Arguiñarena needs the rest he didn't get when Mitter got injured last match. If so, it is Garcia and Murrell. If not, Arguiñarena plays, and either Murrell is dropped, er, rested, and Garcia plays; or Murrell retains his place. I'm really on the fence here but I'm going to say it will be Garcia and Murrell to start (although I'd probably go with Garcia and Arguiñarena).

Attack: Musse and Bustos just behind...Hoyle? Maybe. I expected to see Hoyle back last match but he truly looked dog tired against Edmonton so maybe, with those two extra weeks of rest coming up, we see Ferguson again, or maybe Attardo gets his first start. I'm going with Hoyle.

Midfield: Gutierrez is back after his rest. Sacramento still looks strong. Carreiro has not necessarily shone but I'll be durned if he doesn't keep coming up with match winning contributions: winning goal vs. Pacific and gorgeous defence splitting pass to Musse vs. HFX that really deserved an assist on the winner. And that leaves Beland-Goyette, who has quietly provided some very much needed defensive steel, while logging a ton of playing time. Does he need a break? With a two week break coming up I'm going to say he plays, but don't be surprised to see Galvis or Ohin instead.

Edited by Lofty

I haven't rated Murrell very highly so far but he's been the captain each match and I don't think Gale takes him out. I expect a lineup that resembles very closely what we saw vs Edmonton, but with Janssens in goal and Bustos and Musse taking the place of the injured Golubar and Petrasso. But who knows.

A good article in the Free Press today mentioned that Federico Pena is the only Valour player not to see the pitch yet this season. Has he even made the subs bench?

Good to see Valour in the news. Should be good for a few hundred tickets on the day. That is hardly the thousand or so extra season tickets they would have likely sold if the short sighted penny pinching Bombers had included a free jersey for deal loving (read cheap!) Winnipeggers, but that is now spilt milk.

Edited by Lofty

Like what I saw of a 4 man back line the other day but with both Golubar and Mitter out I'm not sure you manage that.  Sacramento can play that left wing if Bustos stays infield I guess, with three across the back but I'm not a big fan of Murrell at center half especially if Bustos will need to take on the additional defensive duties he'd need to.  Already trust Golubar for that,  not yet for Bustos.  Maybe he'll be fine with it if required, don't know enough yet to say.  

Petrasso can't be starting.  If Hoyle does I'm not sure who else.  Guteirrez and Sacramento will help support the attacking movements, you can count on that so do you give Ferguson another go up top with Musse or Carreiro the trailing support?  Think either one of them enjoys the extra 1/2 second and 1/2 yard that can be found being off the front line. 

I’m probably in the minority, but being the first CPL entrant into CONCACAF league qualifiers means more to me than winning the league this year. Therefore IMO a win here vs Valour is more important than any of the previous matches. 

As a result, Im hoping Ferguson starts for valour. He’s scored something like 2 in 25 games, and he scored last match, so surely he can’t score against us to get two in two games!

Although the results so far have not been great for Forge there has been lots of squad rotation and I believe there is some good depth there which makes predicting a starting 11 a tough one! I expect Bekker will slot back into the lineup after serving his 2 match suspension, Thomas looks like he is staking a claim to remain in the starting role, I think Awuah, Welshman, Borges and Novak will start, does Bobby go back to Henry between the sticks after Roberts looked poor on the 1st Cavalry goal Sunday? I'm looking forward to this important match tomorrow!

2 hours ago, gator said:

Although the results so far have not been great for Forge there has been lots of squad rotation and I believe there is some good depth there which makes predicting a starting 11 a tough one! I expect Bekker will slot back into the lineup after serving his 2 match suspension, Thomas looks like he is staking a claim to remain in the starting role, I think Awuah, Welshman, Borges and Novak will start, does Bobby go back to Henry between the sticks after Roberts looked poor on the 1st Cavalry goal Sunday? I'm looking forward to this important match tomorrow!

Thomas has played well, but I think Choinière will start, with Thomas coming in as a sub if needed.

8 hours ago, maccaliam said:

I’m probably in the minority, but being the first CPL entrant into CONCACAF league qualifiers means more to me than winning the league this year. Therefore IMO a win here vs Valour is more important than any of the previous matches. 

As a result, Im hoping Ferguson starts for valour. He’s scored something like 2 in 25 games, and he scored last match, so surely he can’t score against us to get two in two games!

Was 1 in 38, is now 2 in 39. He is on a tear!

To give him credit though, that was a very tidy finish against HFX.

A *LOT* of blue dots just appeared on Ticketmaster for this game. And the weather not looking particularly nice at 12°C. Might not be too far over 4k for this one. Definitely way under 5k right now. 

Looks as though Ticketmaster hold back a bunch of seats until the day before the game, possibly for new season tickets or mini packs.

^  Had to go look.  Yikes.  My section is maybe 1/2 full though I've noticed the upper rows havent' been picked up by seasons so they'll be available for general all year anyway but yeah, lots to choose from.

No idea how many mini-packs were sold.  Do know more than a couple of people who've booked Friday off to get the extra long weekend.  Most not doing anything in particular but a couple heading out to open the cottage.  It's a diverse crowd at Valour matches from what I can tell.  There's going to be some impact on attendance as we get into competting against summer but I'm not sure how much. 

I blame Forge.  **** weather follows them around like a storm cloud over their head.   

Skylar Thomas: "defensively we've been solid". What? The problem with being delusional like that is you are unlikely to improve.

I'm not impressed (by his defending or his interview). How about a little honesty and critical self appraisal in those interviews instead of the clichéd "hit the ball first time and there it was, backa the net" bullchit. Fans are not stupid.

12 hours ago, Lofty said:

A *LOT* of blue dots just appeared on Ticketmaster for this game. And the weather not looking particularly nice at 12°C. Might not be too far over 4k for this one. Definitely way under 5k right now. 

Looks as though Ticketmaster hold back a bunch of seats until the day before the game, possibly for new season tickets or mini packs.

I just noticed this.  Attendance might be a bit scary tonight.  The bizarre thing is, section 101 had only 4 tickets left two days ago, and now almost every seat is available.  That seems like a lot of seats to hold back, unless they were restricting the cheap seats hoping people would buy in the middle first?

Edited by MrsC

...or they were hoping for group sales that didn't materialize. Wasn't sold on the weeknights are better than weekends argument. From what I understand the CFL do it for television audience reasons more than anything else. Think you should be happy with anything north of 3000 as the floor on crowds in the stadium on weeknights, if 5000 or so becomes the norm on weekends. That averages out to numbers that can probably be sustainable moving forward if people are paying for their tickets.

Once it starts dipping below 2000 as appears to be happening in Victoria and Calgary in actual as opposed to distributed terms it moves out of not being as good as hoped for but still mildly encouraging to having genuine reasons for concern, but the good things is that there's been nothing catastrophic so far and there have been plenty of catastophic levels of support for pro soccer teams in Canada in the past.

7 hours ago, Lofty said:

Skylar Thomas: "defensively we've been solid". What? The problem with being delusional like that is you are unlikely to improve.

I'm not impressed (by his defending or his interview). How about a little honesty and critical self appraisal in those interviews instead of the clichéd "hit the ball first time and there it was, backa the net" bullchit. Fans are not stupid.

The defense has been iffy or worse, but Thomas has been mostly fine. Murrell has been a problem, especially when playing in the middle.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

The defense has been iffy or worse, but Thomas has been mostly fine. Murrell has been a problem, especially when playing in the middle.

I guess we have different measures for "fine"!

I thought Thomas had his best game so far against HFX but he still has to improve a fair bit before he meets my expectations. And in prior matches I definitely thought he was well below par. Against Calgary, Escalante had him on toast. With jam. Against Pacific I saw a number of comments about him -- none of them complimentary. Against Edmonton, was he not culpable on their first goal? Does he ever tackle? I saw a few against HFX but hardly remember even one in the prior matches. A defender that does not tackle is like a forward that does not score. And his physical "presence" thus far has been non existent. Quite simply, not good enough. And one would hope that he realizes this!

Edited by Lofty

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...or they were hoping for group sales that didn't materialize. Wasn't sold on the weeknights are better than weekends argument. From what I understand the CFL do it for television audience reasons more than anything else. Think you should be happy with anything north of 3000 as the floor on crowds in the stadium on weeknights, if 5000 or so becomes the norm on weekends. That averages out to numbers that can probably be sustainable moving forward if people are paying for their tickets.

Once it starts dipping below 2000 as appears to be happening in Victoria and Calgary in actual as opposed to distributed terms it moves out of not being as good as hoped for but still mildly encouraging to having genuine reasons for concern, but the good things is that there's been nothing catastrophic so far and there have been plenty of catastophic levels of support for pro soccer teams in Canada in the past.

No-one ever made this argument....

There has been a suggestion on Valour related threads that weekends are cottage time for Winnipegers and might ultimately turn out to work better because travel time to the stadium in a Winnipeg context is short enough for playing on a weeknight not to be as problematic as it is elsewhere.

57 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There has been a suggestion on Valour related threads that weekends are cottage time for Winnipegers and might ultimately turn out to work better because travel time to the stadium in a Winnipeg context is short enough for playing on a weeknight not to be as problematic as it is elsewhere.

The Bombers certainly work on this theory and they have been around long enough to try a lot of alternatives. So it is not very surprising they are trying the same thing with Valour. We are not into cottage dates yet so the early weekend attendances are not really a valid indicator for what we might expect during the height of summer.

20 minutes ago, Lofty said:

The Bombers certainly work on this theory and they have been around long enough to try a lot of alternatives. So it is not very surprising they are trying the same thing with Valour. We are not into cottage dates yet so the early weekend attendances are not really a valid indicator for what we might expect during the height of summer.

I agree and for personal reasons I was hoping for more Weeknight games but remains to be seen if this strategy works for soccer. A lot more kids play Soccer than Football and Kids (more importantly Parents with kids) are busy on weekenights. Early days, I for one would sacrifice a couple weekends or games if the weekend games sell better. As you mentioned this summer will be the real test.

My prediction: 2-2.

But don't bet on it because I am currently 0-3 in just picking the correct result, never mind the score.

But I think both defences are the exact opposite of solid, both attacks have the ability to take advantage, and this game has some goals in it.