Match Thread--May 12th 2019--Forge FC vs Cavalry FC

Tough to be 100% sure on the angles shown but think the Cavalry probably got away with one there. The ref was at a difficult angle to see it as well and the linesman appears to have been on the wrong side to have a good view. Other things that jumped out on the goals were that Quillan Roberts didn't look too clever on the first one getting beaten a bit too easily to the near post and one of the Cavalry defenders (Zator?) was likely in for the hairdryer treatment at halftime for messing up the offside trap.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

16 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Forge needs to clean things up defensively and avoid those WTF moments as @Lofty mentioned above.

Not sure if we watched the same game with regards to the rest of your post: Forge only looked poor for a few moments in which they paid dearly.  For the rest they played very pleasing, flowing soccer for some long stretches.

i think the team has been good but both unlucky and a little undisciplined defensively, and to my eyes and ears the fans in the stadium have enjoyed both the experience and the soccer.  We had 5800 for a Wednesday game and then truly **** weather today.  There will be some really good crowds for nice summer weather, and while Calgary might ride this hot start to a Spring title I think we will be right there in the fall.

I just finished watching a recording of the match and it confirms my opinion, poor overall might be a little harsh but all of this possession has not transformed into goals overall, we have been poor in the final 3rd except for the Pacific match and there are many defensive mistakes that need to be cleaned up, Cavalry really should have been ahead moments earlier when they missed an absolute sitter that I would have buried with my rain gear on, the foul leading to the winner I thought was unecessary as well! Results don't lie, 4 points from 4 matches, 3 of which were at home is not great, maybe in some better conditions with Bekker back all of this possession will equal some goals, I really enjoy watching this as well but think we have been naive in the attacking third and poor defensively!

I haven’t noticed anyone else mention it, so I now feel like I’ve mis-seen the play, but how was it possible that the CB for Cavalry  avoided a booking for that pull back a couple of minutes before the end of the match? Was that not Wheeldon who was already on a booking, so should have seen a red?

I was just surprised it wasn’t talked about more as it isn’t too difficult to imagine if Cavalry had lost the big man and were down to 10 men, they would have been less likely to push as many players forward for the free kick. A shame really, because it was so clearly a booking, and as Gator has said, for the first 70 minutes or so the ref crew did a decent job. 

2 hours ago, maccaliam said:

I was just surprised it wasn’t talked about more as it isn’t too difficult to imagine if Cavalry had lost the big man and were down to 10 men, they would have been less likely to push as many players forward for the free kick. A shame really, because it was so clearly a booking, and as Gator has said, for the first 70 minutes or so the ref crew did a decent job. 

You see that all the time though, late in a game and the ref just wont call that obvious second yellow because they dont want to send a guy off.  It was a yellow all day long if another player pulled that or it was the first half.  I thought they did a good job, but I havnt been too disappointed with the reffing like some though.  

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I had no problem with the no card, there were plenty of defenders in the area so it can be argued that it wasn't "breaking up a promising attack" which is what the yellow would be be for.

Are you sure you aren’t accidentally mixing up why some situations couldn’t be a red card for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity because there were players back to cover? 

It was a two armed pull back on a player who was breaking into space to create an attack. It should be a yellow card every time. 

19 hours ago, Bison44 said:

You see that all the time though, late in a game and the ref just wont call that obvious second yellow because they dont want to send a guy off.  It was a yellow all day long if another player pulled that or it was the first half.  I thought they did a good job, but I havnt been too disappointed with the reffing like some though.  

I agree the red did a pretty good job overall. Any complaints I would have aside from the pull back were minor really. 

I also agree you do see referees avoiding a sending off when one is warranted, but that doesn’t mean it is the correct call. I’m not going to get carried away with this particular mistake, but it still was a blatant error IMO.