Match Thread--May 12th 2019--Forge FC vs Cavalry FC

It’s going to be 6 degrees and raining at game time, feels like 3.  My wife and her friends have all played the veto card so we’re not going.  That’s 6 empty seats but probably fairly representative.  I think it’s going to be a sparse crowd to be honest. 

Why cant we get any decent weather for game day.

20 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Where in God's name is everyone? The water droplets on the camera are bad enough, but the empty stadium just makes this look sad. 

I was assuming they just had the camera on the wrong side of the field to see the crowd, but then they zoomed out and it was pretty much just Barton Street there.

Hope people who have been way up in the stratosphere about the league don't overreact to one bad looking crowd on a very rainy day. It's very difficult to get Canadians to watch soccer in bad weather if you don't give them a roof.

FCE fans have posted on here about how an almost empty stadium happened in Edmonton for some NASL games, while other days there would be several thousands there. CanPL was always likely to have similar fluctuations on actual attendance.

Just got back from some of the most miserable weather I've sat through at THF.  Kudos to those who made it through the whole game as we did only to see Cavalry seize an improbable victory in the final seconds.  Soccer is truly a cruel sport sometimes and for most of the match Cavalry had very little interest in making any attempt to get forward.  A very smart, tactical, well-coached road victory.

I would hazard to guess if we played Cavalry FC 10 times we'd play better soccer in every game but I'm not sure they wouldn't win at least 6.

Defensive lapses are going to kill this Forge FC time but man they are fun to watch when they have the ball. I've always been more attached to beautiful soccer than the 'winning is the only thing' mentality, so maybe I've found my appropriate team in Forge FC!

Things  have been brutal for Forge so far with the weather, you couldn't have dialled up worse weather if you tried, the team is playing very poorly and the the buzz is wearing off quite quickly, the BSB section has been great but I'm not sure we will be able to draw in the casual fans as hoped for! Calgary look a good side, probably the best in the league so for, Forge quite frankly look lacking in many apects of the game! 

Edited by gator

2 hours ago, gator said:

Things  have been brutal for Forge so far with the weather, you couldn't have dialled up worse weather if you tried, the team is playing very poorly and the the buzz is wearing off quite quickly, the BSB section has been great but I'm not sure we will be able to draw in the casual fans as hoped for! Calgary look a good side, probably the best in the league so for, Forge quite frankly look lacking in many apects of the game! 

Forge needs to clean things up defensively and avoid those WTF moments as @Lofty mentioned above.

Not sure if we watched the same game with regards to the rest of your post: Forge only looked poor for a few moments in which they paid dearly.  For the rest they played very pleasing, flowing soccer for some long stretches.

i think the team has been good but both unlucky and a little undisciplined defensively, and to my eyes and ears the fans in the stadium have enjoyed both the experience and the soccer.  We had 5800 for a Wednesday game and then truly shit weather today.  There will be some really good crowds for nice summer weather, and while Calgary might ride this hot start to a Spring title I think we will be right there in the fall.

It was frustrating to sit through horrible weather just to see Forge lose at the very end. But, we are thoroughly enjoying the matches so far. Forge are entertaining and playing positive, attacking football. They do have their defensive difficulties which will need to be dealt with. I doubt many casual fans would have bought tickets to yesterday's game: moved from Saturday to Sunday, Mother's Day; horrible weather. The casual fan (and flex ticket holders too) are more likely to pick matches from June onwards or at least wait to see about the weather for game day. Given it was also available on CBC, that would have cut out some from buying tickets too.

20 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Where in God's name is everyone? The water droplets on the camera are bad enough, but the empty stadium just makes this look sad. 

Its one thing if it is raining and is like 15 or 20 degrees its another thing when its raining and it feels closer to 0 degrees, it was truly a miserable day.