Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Spring Season Title Race - 2019

Posted (edited)

If we had a single table right now, it would be a 2 team race. No one would expect the other 5 teams to catch up.

Edited by narduch

13 hours ago, narduch said:

If we had a single table right now, it would be a 2 team race. No one would expect the other 5 teams to catch up.

Yes and no. Still 19 matches to go.

One thing I have heard mentioned is that these last few Spring Season matches don't matter because Cavalry have the title locked up. This is patently untrue if Cavalry win the Fall Season too, because it is then the Combined Season standings that will determine that other Championship Game berth.

3 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

*ignorant North American sports fan*

So what does Calvary play for now?

Well they need to stay sharp for their upcoming Voyageur Cup games against Vancouver. 

Plus why not try to win the Summer Season as well? That will ensure you get to host the 2nd leg of the Final

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, narduch said:

Well they need to stay sharp for their upcoming Voyageur Cup games against Vancouver. 

Plus why not try to win the Summer Season as well? That will ensure you get to host the 2nd leg of the Final

You are rather foolishly assuming that the second season, which is mostly played in the summer, is actually called the Summer Season. 😆

Edited by Lofty

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

You are rather foolishly assuming that the second season, which is mostly played in the summer, is actually called the Summer Season. 😆

Ridiculous given that it was announced as the Spring and Fall Seasons months ago. 

https://canpl.ca/standings/

On 6/27/2019 at 11:24 AM, narduch said:

I think winning the fall season (should perhaps be called summer season) and the spring season should win you the title outright. To me that is most fair.

Winning the right to host the 2nd leg final is not a big enough carrot in my opinion.

Imagine now, Forge and Cavalry are neck-and-neck down the stretch for the fall season crown (seems likely). What does either have to play for? Boring...

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think winning the fall season (should perhaps be called summer season) and the spring season should win you the title outright. To me that is most fair.

Winning the right to host the 2nd leg final is not a big enough carrot in my opinion.

Imagine now, Forge and Cavalry are neck-and-neck down the stretch for the fall season crown (seems likely). What does either have to play for? Boring...

I agree with this and figured this would be the big issue with this format. 😕 

Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2019 at 7:10 AM, Kent said:

I am not a fan of split seasons (although I have never supported a team that played in one) but I feel like I should point out that a single table to determine a champion would with the scenario you describe above means it would be a runaway season with little motivation to care about the late season games.

This is definitely fair comment, although the intent of my post was actually to point out a major flaw in the current system rather than to suggest a better alternative (i.e. unconstructive criticism!). With the two season format, I think using the Combined Table for anything is a major flaw; once the Spring Season is done, the results should be wiped.

Thinking about it now, if they must have a Championship Match when the same team has won both seasons, my suggestion for the second berth would be a single game play-off between the two second place teams, which would only be necessary if different teams finish second (not sure who hosts).

As for the single table, I don't mind having a run away leader. Then the other teams end up playing for pride and position, as they do in other major leagues around the world. Whether that would be a better format in Canada, I cannot say. But I will say that the two season format has quite surprisingly grown on me a fair bit but it still needs tweaking.

Edited by Lofty

I've grown to accept the split season more than I thought I would, but I still haven't tried to explain it to someone yet. As much as I've been telling people are things like "I watched a York 9/CPL game last night which is in the new Canadian pro soccer league"

Posted (edited)

So, did Cavalry win anything other than plaudits?

I have a stack of passes for first season CPL but they need to sort this stuff out (hoping I just missed the pictures of Cavalry with the trophy or whatever). You need to give your champions more than a handshake.

Edited by Lofty