Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Spring Season Title Race - 2019

In spite of their somewhat slow start, does anybody else feel that Forge might just be the team to beat?

Cavalry have the 6 points out of 6 but they have not really impressed me. Ditto for FCE, the other 100% team.

15 minutes ago, Lofty said:

In spite of their somewhat slow start, does anybody else feel that Forge might just be the team to beat?

Cavalry have the 6 points out of 6 but they have not really impressed me. Ditto for FCE, the other 100% team.

It’s too early for me to say.

56 minutes ago, Lofty said:

What is it about their first three performances that makes you think this? I would have a very hard time predicting the outcome of any match-up from what we've seen so far.

I'm just pleased the football has been decent with lots of excitement in mostly close scorelines, I don't think Forge are the best team at this point, I don't know who is!

Calgary and Edmonton as the sleepers for me. I still fancy Calgary. Let's see if forge can build on their momentum. 

Really the league has been as I expected, Very tight and hard to pick a favourite. There are so many great players, stories and scenarios at each club that it could swing in pretty much any direction. 

Halifax was almost a complete unknown but they have arguably the best coach and we can see their identity straight away. Pereira is a huge piece to their success. The young canadians look good and the seasoned vets are strong. 

Edmonton to a point where similar. Lots of unknown academy products but consistency and familiarity with each other and the coach which could still be huge. They didnt play great in their opener but got three points. They are probably the quickest team in the league and have some real veteran class in marcelin. If they click they could still be top. 

Valour have most of the pieces but they aren't clicking fully yet. I would say the same about York and Pacific, the latter who looked so great in the opener. 

Forge on paper arguably should be up top but as we have seen, football doesn't work like that. The slow start in such a slow season could well be costly for them. I think they will be there or there abouts for the 2nd season though if they dont claw back this half. 

Cavalry haven't been as exciting or attractive to watch as many would hope but damn they are effective, cohesive and tight at the back. Much like Edmonton they have the advantage of so many players working together and with the manager and coaches before this season. They also bring a winning mentality. The attacking players are also certainly there and with 3 strong strikers they shouldn't suffer the Halifax fate. 

I think like all the teams calgary are yet to gel or even get close. Difference is they picked up the points both games where others haven't. Tomorrow could well be a huge early season title decider. If Calgary can win that is huge momentum and forge might well already be out of the race. Seems a silly thing to say with 6/7 games left but it's fine margins in such a short season if they can pull ahead of the pack that has been very equal. 

Forge vs. Cavalry. It's getting real. Whoever wins goes top. Big test for Cavalry: we will find out if they are as good away from home as they have been at Spruce Meadow.

And on Thursday, Valour vs. Forge will mark the half way point for Valour.

It is really a toss-up. If PFC and Forge win today then suddenly it is a very tight table with Forge 7p in 4 games, Cavalry 6p in 3 games, Forge/Pacific 6p in 4 games. And Edmonton and Halifax would be one win away from being right back in it. On the flip side, if Edmonton and Cavalry win they are both clearly in the driver's seat. 

Just stating the obvious but Calvary have set the pace with 9 points out of 3 games.

Going to be a very busy schedule for them if they can get by Pacific in the Voyageurs Cup.

Cavs are definitely the team to beat. I think they can rest a lot of their starters in Wednesdays cup match against PFC and still get a draw or win. Then put out the A team against Edmonton on Saturday. If they win Saturday I don’t see anyone catching them, especially at that point they would have beaten all the top teams.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So how many points does it take to win the Spring Season?

And will it really come down to July 1 after all?

I am guessing 21, and no.

Yeah all the CPL analyst are floating 20-21. Seems like a good bet, and no I think the team that win it my guess(Cavs) win it before the final weekend.